Author Topic: Front Brake Issue  (Read 3434 times)

Offline andrewr138

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 TEx XC
  • City / Town: Denver
Front Brake Issue
on: October 08, 2020, 12:01:35 AM
I took my Tiger off-road on some fairly rocky terrain on Sunday. I noticed a change in the front brakes on the trip. They were engaging much sooner, but it didn't feel like they were misbehaving. Sure enough, when I put the bike on the center stand the disc(s) are rubbing. I can't tell if it's one or both.

How do I proceed in fixing this? Compress the pistons? Bleed the brakes?

Thanks!

Offline Hax

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: '19 XRX
  • City / Town: Aberdeenshire
Re: Front Brake Issue
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 10:47:35 AM
Worth pulling the pads out to see if something/bulid up of crap has got trapped in the calipers.
I usually pull the pads out and clean the slides etc as regular maintenance anyhow.  :027:

Offline andrewr138

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 01:36:01 PM
How do you correctly push the pistons back in?

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 01:51:48 PM
*Originally Posted by andrewr138 [+]
I took my Tiger off-road on some fairly rocky terrain on Sunday. I noticed a change in the front brakes on the trip. They were engaging much sooner, but it didn't feel like they were misbehaving. Sure enough, when I put the bike on the center stand the disc(s) are rubbing. I can't tell if it's one or both.

How do I proceed in fixing this? Compress the pistons? Bleed the brakes?

Thanks!

What do you mean by rubbing...the pads are always going to rub a bit on the disc's..if they retracted all the way each time you released the lever, you would not have any brakes on the first pull.... does the wheel spin freely when you spin it by hand ?

How do you correctly push the pistons back in?

many different ways..pliers or C clamp if the caliper is off the bike , or a large screwdriver it they are still on the bike
Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 01:54:01 PM by Crosshairs

Offline Hax

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: '19 XRX
  • City / Town: Aberdeenshire
Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 01:52:11 PM
Might be doing it wrong (for several years) but just a lever or screwdriver keeping off of the pad friction surface against the disc.
Keep an eye on the reservoir level as the fluid goes back up

Offline andrewr138

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 01:59:50 PM
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
What do you mean by rubbing...the pads are always going to rub a bit on the disc's..if they retracted all the way each time you released the lever, you would not have any brakes on the first pull.... does the wheel spin freely when you spin it by hand ?

It’s catching earlier on the brake lever, and the wheel won’t free spin. It’s a noticeable difference.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 02:46:30 PM
Don't push the pistons back in, with or without the pads fitted, until you have cleaned the caliper, paying attention to the pistons. Remove the caliper and pads and clean it all up with a toothbrush and some soapy water. Pushing the pistons back in before a clean is a good way to score the pistons and/or damage the seals, especially if they are currently jammed up with something. Have a torque wrench handy for the caliper bolts for reassembly.

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 02:53:11 PM
It’s catching earlier on the brake lever, and the wheel won’t free spin. It’s a noticeable difference.

OK, I would get a look at them up close and see if there is a buildup of dirt around the pistons.  maybe take them off and give them a good cleaning....a flush and bleed is never a bad idea but its not going to fix your current problem

Offline andrewr138

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 03:03:01 PM
Thanks everyone. I’m going to take the calipers off, clean them, and push the pistons back in and reassemble. Hoping it’s just dust on the trail that caused this.

Will I need to bleed the brakes, or no? The brake fluid is only a year old, so I shouldn’t need to flush it.

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 03:16:10 PM
Thanks everyone. I’m going to take the calipers off, clean them, and push the pistons back in and reassemble. Hoping it’s just dust on the trail that caused this.

Will I need to bleed the brakes, or no? The brake fluid is only a year old, so I shouldn’t need to flush it.

you dont need to bleed the system unless you open it up..(as in remove a hose or remove a bleeder screw) 

nonskid