Author Topic: DTC fault code P16A4  (Read 620 times)

Offline Antonb

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XCA
DTC fault code P16A4
on: October 12, 2020, 11:06:09 AM
2018 Explorer XCA

On a recent 600 mile road trip the check engine warning light  came up on multiple occasions and it was determined that this related to a ECU DTC code of P16A4.
On at least two occasions this came up whilst stuck in traffic.
My supplying dealer did not immediately recognise these code did come back and suggested it related to either the battery in the ignition remote or the self levelling suspension.
I changed the battery half way through the trip and there was no noticeable degradation in ride quality but the fault came back on the final leg yesterday.
Has anyone seen this fault before?
I am keen to get it sorted before 5he warranty runs out next month!
Thank you

Offline T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: English Riviera
Re: DTC fault code P16A4
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 11:43:24 AM
P16A4 is a Chassis ECM malfunction which could be associated with a comms hiccup between the Chassis & Engine ECMs (ECUs).

The usual checks are to plugin the Triumph diagnostics kit to check for other faults then check all of the connectors and associated wiring are all in order. If the fault doesn't reappear then it should be fine but if it persists then the dealer should contact Triumph for further help.

I don't know who your dealer is but if they're a genuine Triumph dealer I'd question the lack of knowledge in their response!
...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 03:46:05 PM
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]

I don't know who your dealer is but if they're a genuine Triumph dealer I'd question the lack of knowledge in their response!
  :0461: 10 seconds to google this standard code, not sure why the dealers couldn't just look this code up.

Offline Antonb

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 12:02:29 PM
Thanks both. The bike is going in on Saturday, let’s hope the dealer can track and fix the problem.

Offline biketraveller

• Explorer Member
  • https://biketraveller.org
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 06:14:23 AM
Hi Antonb

Any news on what caused that problem? I'm a big believer in spreading the knowledge on how to fix these weird electronic gremlins.

Ride safely

Pete

Offline Antonb

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 07:50:07 AM
Hi,
As I mentioned there were no noticeable problem when riding the bike.
When I started the bike to take it to the dealer a message in small writing came up saying the something like the suspension was re-calibrating. I had not seen this before but in all honesty it may have been something I had not noticed.
When riding to the dealership the quick shifter prevented me changing up a gear, I had to use the clutch.
2-5 weeks later the bike is still in the workshop waiting for a new ECU/key assembly and quick shifter.

When the bike was hooked up to their diagnostic equipment they saw more detailed messages relating to the issue but had to call Triumph to help diagnose what needed replacing.

I look forward to getting the bike back to see if it is actually fixed.

Anton

nonskid