Author Topic: Lowering kit  (Read 632 times)

Offline JohnCFI

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Desire the Right... to ride
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCx
  • City / Town: Stanley
Lowering kit
on: October 13, 2020, 02:44:11 PM
I have fitted the 40mm Lust Lowering Kit.  Just the last bit to do, lowering the front forks by 12mm.  What is the purpose of this, and what difference would a few mm more or less produce..  (2017, XRx, 1200)..
John Clifford
Stanley
Falkland Islands

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
Re: Lowering kit
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 04:14:06 PM
*Originally Posted by JohnCFI [+]
I have fitted the 40mm Lust Lowering Kit.  Just the last bit to do, lowering the front forks by 12mm.  What is the purpose of this, and what difference would a few mm more or less produce..  (2017, XRx, 1200)..

The purpose is to keep the frame geometry correct .  a mm either way is not going to make a huge difference but if you lower it too much or not enough it may affect the handling in a negative way.
if its too high in the front, it will steer slowly and not turn in correctly, if its too low in the front, it will steer too quickly and  "fall into" turns.
it may also wander or wobble at speed if the geometry is too far off either way ..
the good news is its very easy to get it right, simply measure the drop and use the number provided by the lowering kit manufacturer..in this case, 12mm, but you can always experiment and see what feels best for you

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 04:49:00 PM
I am surprised the lowering kit provider is only asking for a 12mm drop at the front for a 40mm drop at the rear. I used the lust 20mm kit and the recommended drop at the front on those is around 15mm. I would expect you to feel a reluctance to get round corners as you have lengthened your trail.

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 05:40:23 PM
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
The purpose is to keep the frame geometry correct .  a mm either way is not going to make a huge difference but if you lower it too much or not enough it may affect the handling in a negative way.
if its too high in the front, it will steer slowly and not turn in correctly, if its too low in the front, it will steer too quickly and  "fall into" turns.
it may also wander or wobble at speed if the geometry is too far off either way ..
the good news is its very easy to get it right, simply measure the drop and use the number provided by the lowering kit manufacturer..in this case, 12mm, but you can always experiment and see what feels best for you

In the past on other bikes I have raised the forks theru' the yokes to successfully quicken the steering. But too much can have an adverse effect so I've always done it in small increments until the desired effect is achieved = you don't want to lift the forks a lot then go out for a test ride and bin the bike on the first twisties to come across, or equally discover the bike's stability has been ruined the first time you cruise at higher speed on the motorway

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 06:36:21 PM
I had a Gen1 (2013) with 40mm lowering kit and lowered the forks as far as they would go - i.e. as far as the smooth part of the fork would go into the lower yoke without yoke encroaching on the "ribbed" section - easier to understand when looking at it but there is a defined changed in surface finish on fork.  It did turn in much quicker, but that's to my liking, as I found it tended to drift wide under power in standard set up.  Never had an issue with stability = 120mph ish on autobahn in Germany with 3 boxes and a pillion.  My only issue was reduced ground clearance so eventually put the rear back to standard with forks 6mm through yokes to keep the quicker steering.

Even have the forks through yokes by 5mm on my Gen2 XRT......
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline JohnCFI

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Desire the Right... to ride
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCx
  • City / Town: Stanley
Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 06:20:59 PM
Many thanks all.  That put to bed a comment from someone else that it was not necessary!!  I will be lowering it 12mm and then having a nice gentle test or three..   :821: :821:  virtual round on me  :001:
John Clifford
Stanley
Falkland Islands

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 09:23:26 PM
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
In the past on other bikes I have raised the forks theru' the yokes to successfully quicken the steering. But too much can have an adverse effect so I've always done it in small increments until the desired effect is achieved = you don't want to lift the forks a lot then go out for a test ride and bin the bike on the first twisties to come across, or equally discover the bike's stability has been ruined the first time you cruise at higher speed on the motorway

Correct,  as I stated he will be safe lowering the front  at least as much as he lowered the rear....so I would start at 12mm....but I would guess he would be safe up to about 25   

My personal bikes I run the front about 15mm lower than the rear....I prefer them right on  the border of twitchy
Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 09:24:58 PM by Crosshairs

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 10:39:41 AM
orrect,  as I stated he will be safe lowering the front  at least as much as he lowered the rear....so I would start at 12mm....but I would guess he would be safe up to about 25   

You cannot safely lower the front that much on a Tex as there is a change in fork surface finish which limits what you can safely do (see my comment above)
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 12:15:58 PM
*Originally Posted by Chippy4467 [+]
You cannot safely lower the front that much on a Tex as there is a change in fork surface finish which limits what you can safely do (see my comment above)

you are quite wrong about that, go measure for yourself and you will see there is  more than 12 mm available before the fork finish and the diameter changes
Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 12:17:36 PM by Crosshairs