Author Topic: Cold Engine Start Problem  (Read 769 times)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Cold Engine Start Problem
Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 06:28:11 PM
On my Gen1 TEX, I definitely notice a difference in startup behavior when I run any fuel with ethanol in it. I usually run Chevron 94 which has no ethanol and is available locally. But when I travel in the US, I have to use ethanol fuel. After a few days of running ethanol fuel, the bike will be a bit slower starting and the idle will stumble noticeably when the engine is cold. With no ethanol, the bike catches quicker and does not stumble at all.

On startup, I think mine normally hits about 1500-1800 RPM initially, before settling back to normal idle after running for a couple of minutes from cold.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Smitman

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Woodstock
Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 11:19:15 AM
All,

THANK YOU for the tips and your real world insights, very helpful. I have made my list from your responses and will begin a series of deductions today with the bike. Very cool morning in Georgia today and coolest of the new season (44F), so, a good day to get this beast dialed in. I’ll report back my progress. 

My best......

Offline UKtart

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2019 1200 Tiger
  • City / Town: Puyallup, WA
Reply #12 on: October 23, 2020, 07:03:43 PM
I'll second Capt response. I live in WA and the dealer mentioned it may turn over a little more than most bikes due to the E10/15 we have in some of the gas here. The dealer also mentioned that the bike will run on 85 but for little difference in money I tend to still run the highest grade I can get (92RON).

nonskid