Author Topic: Brake pads defect?  (Read 617 times)

Offline PatM

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XCA 2017
  • City / Town: Maidstone
Brake pads defect?
on: October 15, 2020, 09:09:58 PM
I took my XCA for its first MOT today and it failed...(that wiped the smug look of my masked-face)-
A pin missing from front pads on one side, and none in stock- so red mark against me.
Given the bikes got less than 3k on it now, I would fathom a guess as its been like it since day one and not picked up by me cleaning it or the 2 services its had since its PDI.

While they were Umming and Ahhring about the MOT failure, i asked if there was any recalls or software patches- he looked at his screen and said- Ah, yes, sorry but we need to replace your front brake pads under recal warantee....(ffs)

Another hour of my life wasted and new pads, but no pin still- so off I rode to wait a call for the £12 clip to be fitted and my bike retested...

You need to know about the pads-it wont be the only one!
Patrick J Morgan

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Brake pads defect?
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 12:31:27 AM
There is a topic on this. Search: Gen3 Brake Recall.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline PatM

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 09:09:23 AM
Thanks for the reply-Id not seen this, possibly due to not using the Forum for a while.
We are a mickey-mouse outfit in the UK sometimes!

The US send out letters to all the Owners. I wouldn't have thought that was difficult to have emailed every owner over here, COVID or not.

its a bit like the Vauxhall zafiras that catch fire...wait till someone dies then fight the case in Court...

The interesting thing with the Dealership is that they were still quite happy for me to ride home with new pads, that they had fitted, minus the locating pin and with a FAILED MOT.!
- They could have pulled a pin off one of the new models sitting in their showroom, but that would require common-sense and service talking to sales...
Patrick J Morgan

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 09:46:58 AM
*Originally Posted by PatM [+]
Thanks for the reply-Id not seen this, possibly due to not using the Forum for a while.
We are a mickey-mouse outfit in the UK sometimes!

The US send out letters to all the Owners. I wouldn't have thought that was difficult to have emailed every owner over here, COVID or not.
The notification of the pads fault was carried out by Triumph UK for UK & Ireland. They wrote letters to owners registered on their systems, I got one along with many others. After you purchased your bike did you go to a Triumph dealer and asked to be recorded as the owner of it? If they don't know you are the owner they can't write to you. It is an easy process and any dealer can do it for you. I registered my 25 year old Triumph Daytona with Triumph via my local dealer, it took 5 minutes. Alternatively you can always periodically look up faults for you bike online, it takes just a minute, see screenshot of this fault.

Offline PatM

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 10:00:07 AM
Ha- I bought it from a large TRIUMPH Dealer in Maidstone, Laguna Motorcycles, same place as I have bought my last 3 BN Triumph motorcycles.  i got no such letter from Triumph. not the sort of thing you bin, is it?

Thanks for this, Ill be back there later next week, I guess with my Tiger to have its pin fitted.
Patrick J Morgan

Offline Coops!!

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200xcx
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 03:59:40 PM
I got the letter from Triumph and had it done by the dealer no dramas.

It almost sounds like it’s been done but the ‘technician’ forgot to install pin? Can’t imagine it coming from factory like that!! Although if that was the case presumably their system would show that it had been carried out?

Offline PatM

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 07:05:47 PM
Its not been in for anything since its last 'service' October last year, so I don't think I can assume the Dealer left the clip off. Ill never know.
I looked at the pin and its a silly design anyway- I damn-near drilled a 1mm hole in it myself to fit an R-Clip, but I've paid for the repair and i need to get the 'Technician' to re-inspect and issue an MOT pass.

They have at least changed the pads under warantee- but given the bikes hardly been used over the last 3 years I've owned it, the pads are unlikely to have been worn or damaged from salt roads as I've simply not had the need to use it. Work pattern changed, COVID and wife got ill.

Patrick J Morgan

Offline Bruce Wayne

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Winterswijk
Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 09:58:54 AM
*Originally Posted by PatM [+]
Its not been in for anything since its last 'service' October last year, so I don't think I can assume the Dealer left the clip off. Ill never know.
I looked at the pin and its a silly design anyway- I damn-near drilled a 1mm hole in it myself to fit an R-Clip, but I've paid for the repair and i need to get the 'Technician' to re-inspect and issue an MOT pass.

They have at least changed the pads under warantee- but given the bikes hardly been used over the last 3 years I've owned it, the pads are unlikely to have been worn or damaged from salt roads as I've simply not had the need to use it. Work pattern changed, COVID and wife got ill.

Pat, trouble with the bike is never good. But I hope all gets wel, espaccialy with the wife.

nonskid