Author Topic: Machine head replacement help, who knows the accessories number  (Read 1013 times)

Offline TonyLi

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: TIGEr EXPLORE 2013xc
  • City / Town: Los Angeles
Who can tell me all the Numbers of CAM cover replacement parts, because my motorcycle has passed the warranty period but his noise is getting louder and louder :006:

Offline TonyLi

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Re: Machine head replacement help, who knows the accessories number
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 07:49:34 AM
CAM cover recall notice to replace what accessories who knows the accessories code

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT

Offline TonyLi

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 03:14:51 PM
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
Yes, this is the accessory I want to replace

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 05:08:47 PM
*Originally Posted by TonyLi [+]
Who can tell me all the Numbers of CAM cover replacement parts, because my motorcycle has passed the warranty period but his noise is getting louder and louder :006:
Tony, you should read this thread.

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17989.0.html

There is no parts list per se. The replacement head and associated parts are/were supplied by Triumph at no cost. You should see a Triumph dealer and inquire about a goodwill replacement. Triumph are still authorizing this if you push them. You would likely have to pay the labour costs. Download and print the Service Bulletin attached to the first post and show it to your dealership and check to see if your VIN is within the specified range.
Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 05:13:45 PM by CaptainTrips
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 08:10:17 PM

Hey Tony. Contact your nearest (reputable) Triumph dealer and let him know you want your head replaced on your '13 Explorer. Make sure your VIN is within the number range of 602960,(it will be) and mention Service Bulletin 474, which states that if you feel the head noise of your affected engine is to noisy, Triumph will replace the head on your bike. This bulletin covers all 1215 engines in Explorers and Trophys. It is documented that Triumph is still honoring this SB, even if you aren't the original owner. Get it done...

Jon

Offline TonyLi

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 01:26:48 PM
*Originally Posted by Jon [+]
Hey Tony. Contact your nearest (reputable) Triumph dealer and let him know you want your head replaced on your '13 Explorer. Make sure your VIN is within the number range of 602960,(it will be) and mention Service Bulletin 474, which states that if you feel the head noise of your affected engine is to noisy, Triumph will replace the head on your bike. This bulletin covers all 1215 engines in Explorers and Trophys. It is documented that Triumph is still honoring this SB, even if you aren't the original owner. Get it done...
Because I was traveling in China, I contacted the Triumphal dealer in China and he replied that he could only check the recall notice of ECU and side stand, and he would not guarantee you the motorcycle That I did not buy from him, so I want to replace it by myself

Offline TonyLi

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 01:28:13 PM
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Tony, you should read this thread.

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17989.0.html

There is no parts list per se. The replacement head and associated parts are/were supplied by Triumph at no cost. You should see a Triumph dealer and inquire about a goodwill replacement. Triumph are still authorizing this if you push them. You would likely have to pay the labour costs. Download and print the Service Bulletin attached to the first post and show it to your dealership and check to see if your VIN is within the specified range.
Because I was traveling in China, I contacted the Triumphal dealer in China and he replied that he could only check the recall notice of ECU and side stand, and he would not guarantee you the motorcycle That I did not buy from him, so I want to replace it by myself

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 05:39:59 PM
The head replacement was never a recall. Not sure why you are choosing this route, but if you are determined to do this yourself then please let us know how you make out. You will probably be the first of anyone who has posted here in the past 6 years to DIY it. You can find parts and diagrams on bikebandit.com

Edit: the head replacement and shim kit part numbers are shown on the service bulletin 474 that I mentioned in my previous post. Part numbers vary by your VIN number. Those part numbers may have been superceded in the years since the bulletin was written. Triumph allowed dealers 8 hours for labor for the head replacement. You will also need the Explorer service manual.
Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 06:06:58 PM by CaptainTrips
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 10:24:11 PM

Sourcing the parts will be your biggest challenge,the actual repair is not that difficult ...if your mechanically inclined, you will be fine

nonskid