Author Topic: Service stands for XRx LRH?  (Read 720 times)

Offline Paul911

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRx
  • City / Town: Massachusetts
Service stands for XRx LRH?
on: October 27, 2020, 08:04:53 PM
Has anyone found any sort of paddock stand that will fit the Tiger? It seems that there's pretty much none out there. To aggravate the problem, my bike doesn't have a center stand so even checking the oil level is difficult.

The one solution I've found is this: https://shop.becker-technik.de/en/34-universal-motorbike-lifter

The problem is, they won't ship to the US.
Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 08:07:43 PM by Paul911

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Service stands for XRx LRH?
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 08:20:44 PM
If you are not concerned about ADV ground clearance I think that you could put the OEM center stand on yourself and park the bike on two pieces of plywood with a gap between to make it easier to get the bike up on the stand.

Alternatively look at one of the front wheel ride-in wheel chocks at Harbour Freight or similar.
Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 08:23:55 PM by CaptainTrips
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Paul911

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 08:30:50 PM
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
If you are not concerned about ADV ground clearance I think that you could put the OEM center stand on yourself and park the bike on two pieces of plywood with a gap between to make it easier to get the bike up on the stand.

Alternatively look at one of the front wheel ride-in wheel chocks at Harbour Freight or similar.

Thanks. That's my fallback plan, though it gets a bit expensive as I have to replace the exhaust also to get the bumpstop.

I have to say, the amount of aftermarket support for this bike is disappointing.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 11:12:00 PM
*Originally Posted by Paul911 [+]
Thanks. That's my fallback plan, though it gets a bit expensive as I have to replace the exhaust also to get the bumpstop.

I have to say, the amount of aftermarket support for this bike is disappointing.
The aftermarket loves big sellers.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 11:22:46 PM
Has anyone found any sort of paddock stand that will fit the Tiger? It seems that there's pretty much none out there. To aggravate the problem, my bike doesn't have a center stand so even checking the oil level is difficult.

The one solution I've found is this: https://shop.becker-technik.de/en/34-universal-motorbike-lifter

The problem is, they won't ship to the US.

Here's how I modified a standard stand and fitted one to my XRX-Low when I owned it

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17208.msg204010.html#msg204010

Offline Paul911

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 12:20:51 AM
*Originally Posted by Hawkeye [+]
Here's how I modified a standard stand and fitted one to my XRX-Low when I owned it

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17208.msg204010.html#msg204010

Thanks Hawkeye. I did see that and it's very helpful. I may well go that route. Incidentally I grew up in Billerica MA, named after your town. Sorry they bastardized it.

However, I'm looking at the Pitbull stands, and they're really, really close. One of their existing pins might even fit or I can possibly have one machined down a bit.

https://www.pit-bull.com/makes-and-models/bmw-motorcycles/bmw-r1200-hp2/hybrid-one-armed-rear-bmw-see-description-for-fitments-f0099-400

The question there would be if there's any problem lifting the rear of the bike in that way (pin into the left side of the rear hub). It seems unlikely that it would be.
Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 12:22:38 AM by Paul911

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 07:53:28 AM
Small world Paul911, indeed the town still has strong links with Billerica  :467:

Regards the stand - before I went down the main stand modification route, I spent some considerable time looking for a paddock type stand. Having spoken to a few stand manufacturers, the consensus of opinion I got from them was that the rod they would have to use would not be of sufficient strength to support the bike (as the size of rod was limited by the small hole at the end of the shaft drive). I did ask whether they had considered making a custom shaft,  my thoughts being pin through from the LH side (when looking from the back of the bike) which could be supported by a plug with a hole in it for the pin being inserted in the “hole” in the wheel hub - considered but again, weight was cited as the issue (too much pressure on the end if the shaft drive and machining costs (ie not commercially viable market).

Hence in the end why I went down the cut down main stand route as essentially nothing on the market.

I didn’t come across the Pitbull stands, but then it was 4 years ago that I surveyed the market.

Offline Paul911

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 06:03:01 PM
I had the exact same thought about the plug, which is really acting as a bushing in that context. Great minds and all that.

I called Pit Bull stands and talked to an engineer. He said he's gotten the same request and that an 18mm (18.110 by my measure) pin is strong enough for the bike itself. Their problem with the idea is they worry about not enough spare capacity in the event someone jumps on the bike or some similar event.

However, they did say that people have had pins machined down to fit, so I may well go that route. I also have some hardware lying around that I could use to make a safety support that would attach to the unused pivots for the center stand. I could do that and use it as a safety if I'm storing the bike over the winter.

I should also ask, did you sell the XRx LRH? If so, what did you replace it with?

Finally, when you fitted the main stand, what did you do about the bump stop on the exhaust side?

Thanks.
Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 06:14:29 PM by Paul911

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 06:55:38 PM
I had the exact same thought about the plug, which is really acting as a bushing in that context. Great minds and all that.

I called Pit Bull stands and talked to an engineer. He said he's gotten the same request and that an 18mm (18.110 by my measure) pin is strong enough for the bike itself. Their problem with the idea is they worry about not enough spare capacity in the event someone jumps on the bike or some similar event.

However, they did say that people have had pins machined down to fit, so I may well go that route. I also have some hardware lying around that I could use to make a safety support that would attach to the unused pivots for the center stand. I could do that and use it as a safety if I'm storing the bike over the winter.

I should also ask, did you sell the XRx LRH? If so, what did you replace it with?

Finally, when you fitted the main stand, what did you do about the bump stop on the exhaust side?

Thanks.

So Pitbull are concerned about weight as well and "unknown events". I was aware about pins being machined down but was of the mind that if it wasn't good enough for stand companies to make something they could put their faith in, then I'd always be wondering if the pin might fail (or worse get stuck in the back of the shaft drive if it bent) and something happen. To me - separate to the unknown events or pressures once the bike was on the stand - would be actually lifting it to get it on the stand. That then (if you were unsure about pin size) would mean that you would be at the back of the bike and if something happened, without 2 of you there - over she goes.

A couple of other thoughts if you are looking just to keep it upright for the winter:
- Make a pin as you say - but make it so that when fitted it doesn't left the rear wheel off the floor. That way there is no pressure on the pin, its literally just like the bike is upright in normal use
- fit a main stand off the non-LRH. Before I cut the mainstand down I had fitted, I did this and "reversed" the bike up onto a small ramp I knocked up out of some spare wood I had lying around with a stop at the end. With the extra height at the back, the bike just rolled onto the standard size mainstand.

Actually I did sell my XRX-LRH towards end of July this year - the wife had been pushing for me to sell and maybe move to something lighter/smaller cc for some time, as I have degenerating discs in my lower back, which coupled with age, meant the big girl was getting to be a bit top heavy. I kind of resisted as I wanted to do one last European trip to the Pyrennees this summer on her, but Covid put and end to that unfortunately. The final straw came early July when coming to a stop, the kerb dropped away (and there was gravel) and as I put my foot down to come to a halt, found my footing in clear air and over we went. Unfortunately - given the bike was at a stand still at the time -  my foot got trapped sideways under the front footrest and I had the whole weight of the bike balancing on the side of my foot, with the rest of the bike upside down on top of me. About 5 minutes before anyone came by, and then in trying to lift it off me, it had to balance on my foot again to get the wheels back on the ground. First attempt they dropped the bike back down on me, second attempt I managed to free my leg and crawl out from under the bike. My boots saved me from serious injury that day, the sole of the boot taking mcuh of the weight, however I still finished up with 2 very badly bruised toes and the joint on my big toe was dislocated. Hence how the decision was made and 10 days later, I sold it on.

At present bike less - foot has only just got back to normal (that big toe joint took a while to stop causing grief) and now what with winter coming on, will spend the next few months looking at options. Considering the Tiger 900, also the BMW GS R1250 Low Ride Height. Have test ridden both, was less impressed with the 900 than I thought I would be, that new engine whilst it has the performance, seems to give a few more vibrations than I expected. Did like the Beemer, much the same for comfort as the Explorer etc, but of course the weight is all low down - and it was the top heavy weight that caused me problems with the Tex. I've also got the Africa Twin in my sights for a test ride, even wondering what the Gen-4 Tiger may be like if Triumph ever do release it later this year, as that's all new. We'll decide over the winter months.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 06:59:24 PM
When I have a wheel off, I have two large eye bolts screwed into rafters in the ceiling of the garage and I can strap the bike up to those from the handlebars or the passenger grab handles. I mounted a front wheel chock on my table lift and I strap the bike from the Givi engine guard to eye bolts on either side of the lift deck. I also modified one of those small motorcycle scissors lifts with adjustable mount points that pick up the bottom of the Givi engine guard. I can use that to stabilize the bike and lift the front wheel for removal. Lots of options for the circumstance.

I also use a portable ride-in wheel chock in the trailer bed to catch the bike and hold it steady while I strap it down.
Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 07:03:49 PM by CaptainTrips

nonskid