Author Topic: Are there any Differences ??  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Nuffy

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: SDR
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Are there any Differences ??
on: October 28, 2020, 04:13:25 AM
Please excuse me if this topic has been covered previously.....I did a quick search (a man's look.....which means a quick glance) and didn't find any reference.
I'm looking at buying a new or superceeded (new) Tiger 1200 XRT and was wondering if there are any mechanical, feature (eg seats), softwear differences between 2018 and 2019 and 2020......ie have there been any improvements over the last few years.....
I am also looking at a new 2019 KTM 1290 Super Adventure S (SAS)and was wondering if any member on this forum has had any experience with them (directly or via a friend).....and is able to compare the KTM SAS and Tiger 1200.
I previously owned a 2015 TEX and felt it to be a very good bike with great handling with a superb engine..........I currently own a 2015 KTM Super Duke R and I love the engine but hate the handling.
Hoping you can help...........

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Are there any Differences ??
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 06:06:00 AM
Regarding the differences between a T12 and a 1290, ijinak should be able to tell you shortly...

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,19606.10.html
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 10:15:56 AM
*Originally Posted by Nuffy [+]

I'm looking at buying a new or superceeded (new) Tiger 1200 XRT and was wondering if there are any mechanical, feature (eg seats), softwear differences between 2018 and 2019 and 2020......ie have there been any improvements over the last few years.....

No differences between 2018 and on, they are all classed as Gen 3, a few colour options but nothing else. I did spot what looks like to be a new pannier rail system for mounting the panniers further back for increased pillion foot room but that is about it.

Offline Hax

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: '19 XRX
  • City / Town: Aberdeenshire
Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 11:40:00 AM
I had a 1190 Adventure but also rented a 1290 for 2 weeks riding round Colorado, New Mexico and Utah.
Both really great bikes and more powerful than a Tiger/Explorer but I just didn't like the twin lumpyness  :034:

Online Simmo

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 1200 XRT White
  • City / Town: Reading
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 05:28:30 PM
Hi Nuffy

Software updates do happen - my Gen3 went in for service last week and the dealer said they had downloaded new software.

So if you find an old 'new' 2018 bike it will probably need an update. In my view any approved Triumph dealer should do it as part of a service.

Simmo
2019 Tiger 1200 XRT in White fitted with TPMS, Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, and Givi Trekker Outback 58L Top Box.

Offline Nuffy

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 10:21:52 PM
Thanks to all who have responded..........I am relieved that the 18, 19 and 20 XRT's are the same.......give or take some software updates.
There is a huge discount in price for a new superceeded 18 conmpared to a 20.......approx $5000 and that is before any haggling.
Same huge discount applies to a 19 KTM Super Adventure S (SAS) .....$6000 cheaper than a 20 model
I much prefer the look and feel of the Tiger, especially as the XRT has everything I could want from a bike...........I much prefer the engine (torque) of the KTM SAS (not sure about the comfort and the looks).
I was hoping for some experienced feedback comparing the SAS to the Tiger from forum members.......journalist reviews aren't worth much given their at the time brand bias.
I'm sure either bike will be fantastic..........
I am under instruction from "she who must be obeyed" to make this the last bike so I have to get it right........."for now"

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 10:30:26 PM
As long as your '18 XRt has a TFT it is a real Gen3 '18 and not a leftover late 2017 Gen 2 which had a dial/lcd combo. Software gets updated at service time (if there is one) so your dealer should supply the 2018 bike with the same software as the 2020 models. It's all internal though, bug fixes etc, you will not see/feel any software differences. I've had several, never noticed any difference at all. Best of luck with your choice whichever way you go.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 11:04:48 PM
Here is an older link to a test ride comparison:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,15538.0.html
Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 11:07:12 PM by CaptainTrips
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Nuffy

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 12:15:23 PM
CaptainTrips thanks for making my decision making that much more difficult.........I looked at the previous forum posting you highlighted and it was like reading riders opinions while in a roller coaster..........one minute I was going up and the next I was on the way down.........everyone had a different opinion ..........I guess that is why there are so many different bikes out there.......otherwise there would be only one bike to chose from.
The fact that the Gen 3 Tiger range is reportedly more comfortable than the KTM SAS is definitely a plus.........especially as I want my wife ti pillion.
I guess it comes down to what is the best deal I can get on either bike.........I think they are both fantastic.
Thanks again to all who have offered their thoughts.....

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 04:39:04 PM
 In general, I would tend to think that the 1290 is the more serious off-road ADV bike while the T12 leans more to the touring end of the spectrum.