Author Topic: The Tiger Stays  (Read 792 times)

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Muttley the Explorer
  • City / Town: Tonyrefail
The Tiger Stays
on: November 17, 2020, 08:38:12 PM
Well after much careful thought and the fact that the Tiger 900 is in its introduction year (the guinea pig year) being a new bike and new engine, I’ve decided my heavy Tex is staying for a while longer yet. It’s just had a new mot, new tax, new insurance, and I’ve just dropped it off for its 40k service and probably pads. I suspect it will appear in next years euro tour photos and videos again.

Although I was really surprised at how light the GS was that I sat on last week......  :015:
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Re: The Tiger Stays
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 11:01:34 PM
*Originally Posted by NH [+]
Well after much careful thought and the fact that the Tiger 900 is in its introduction year (the guinea pig year) being a new bike and new engine, I’ve decided my heavy Tex is staying for a while longer yet. It’s just had a new mot, new tax, new insurance, and I’ve just dropped it off for its 40k service and probably pads. I suspect it will appear in next years euro tour photos and videos again.

Although I was really surprised at how light the GS was that I sat on last week......  :015:

I came to the same conclusion about 2 months ago. Sent the bike in for that mega service on 12th Oct. It needed front calipers serviced = new pistons & seals. These are "on back order" and hopefully will arrive at the dealer this week. Dealers customer service has been as good as ever & this isn't their fault. But it does make me question my decision to keep the bike for so long if Triumph can't keep fairly basic service items in stock (& yes I did try to source them from other suppliers without luck).

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: XRx Low (Sold)
  • City / Town: Billericay
Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 11:12:46 PM
*Originally Posted by NH [+]

I know what you mean - given the GS's are only a few Kg lighter than the 1200's, it's quite surprising how much difference having that weight at the bottom rather than the top actually makes - as you say, the GS feels so much lighter.

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 08:40:55 AM
Glad to hear it's staying. I rode a GS recently and couldn't tell any difference at all in the balance. Hmm, I wonder why anything I ride feels top heavy............. :164:

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 10:36:02 AM
*Originally Posted by Stillwobbling [+]
Glad to hear it's staying. I rode a GS recently and couldn't tell any difference at all in the balance. Hmm, I wonder why anything I ride feels top heavy............. :164:
  :169: you already know don't you....?

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 01:22:58 PM
Yes the GS feels lighter but they aren’t cheap so if I bought one it wouldn’t be new. The Tex will be staying a while longer now... at least until I hurt my back again moving it.  :008:

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 11:54:05 PM
Well the 40k service has been done. The valves clearances were spot-on with no shims required and the technicians verdict was that it's in amazing condition, especially as it's done 40,000 miles. A new set of rear pads were fitted as they were flagged as getting a bit low 18 months ago, I'm not heavy on the brakes. :001: There's the usual slight clunk/click in the top of the forks but as the dealers rebuilt them with new bushes and seals less than 4k miles ago it seems to be normal and nothing to worry about.

Overall I'm happy and it's now all set for when the lockdowns are finished and the proper touring can begin again.  :002:

nonskid