Author Topic: New guy, San Antonio Texas, question...  (Read 219 times)

Offline RyanExplorer

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer
  • City / Town: San Antonio
New guy, San Antonio Texas, question...
on: November 21, 2020, 06:06:14 PM
Hi all,

Just purchased a used 2017 Tiger/Explorer, currently living in San Antonio Texas, great bike!  Looking forward to many adventures and happy to be a new member here.  I do have one question.  The only complaint I have so far is the 'loose' throttle that causes engine surges when going over bumps etc.  Well-known issue with earlier fly-by-wire models it appears and sounds like damping grease might be the best solution.  I was hoping for the latest guidance on this.  Seems to me, ideally, someone could disassemble the throttle assembly and put a stiffer spring in there, but doesn't look like that is being discussed on here or maybe I missed it.  Soo...what's the latest/greatest fix for this?  Otherwise I'll plan on getting the grease that others have mentioned on this forum. Thanks!

Anyone around south Texas who wants to private message me, feel free, would be nice to have a local riding buddy.

Cheers,
Ryan

Offline c10

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XCX1200
  • City / Town: Sugar land
Re: New guy, San Antonio Texas, question...
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 07:25:39 PM
I'm in Sugar land .  I have a 18 with none of the throttle issues you described . Have you tried a different map ( road / sport / off road ) to see if condition follows ?
My wife's 2020 900 GT Tiger is touchy in sport mode , but more relaxed in Road .

Welcome by the way . I joined just a few days ago . Picked mine up new / left over 3 weeks ago . 

Offline RyanExplorer

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 09:08:02 PM
PMd you, because I think we've met :)  Yes, rain mode helps for sure.  I currently have the right size rubber band (women's hair band actually) in between the throttle and switch cube, makes a big difference, pretty much resolved most of the jerkiness.  Having the dealership do a service on it right now and asked them to check with Triumph on their latest recommendation for addressing this known issue (only certain/older year models I guess).  Will let ya'll know what they tell me.

Offline Greasy1

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: TIGER 1200 XRT
Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 01:23:02 AM
I too just purchased an unregistered '18 Tiger 1200 leftover from our local dealer here in San Antonio on November 7th. I had ordered the panniers and a tank bag that was to arrive the following week, so I spent most of time reading the manual and going over the bike.  As you know, there is virtually no space on the naked Tiger to carry anything so the bags were an absolute must for me.  I had some issues like the air pressure being too low in the rear and too high in the front, along with the shifter lever being too low for my liking and the rear brake was WAY too spongy to be effective, along with the service indicator (a small wrench icon on the dash readout) illuminated.  So before I had 25 miles on it, I called the service department for an appointment on the following Thursday to correct these things and pick up my panniers and tank bag for a ride with my buddies in the Hill Country.  Long story short, before taking it in, I discovered an oil leak as well! The dealer took a couple of days to determine the problem and found out it was a 'miscast' cylinder head causing the oil leak!  Estimated time to repair is around two weeks from now.  Today, It has been exactly two weeks, and will probably be two more weeks before I get it back, putting me in the first week of December.  As a San Antonio resident you know what kind of weather we've been having the past two weeks and I'm just sick about missing out on the rides.  The service manager at the dealership is doing all he can to expedite things, but I still feel somewhat shat upon by the motorcycle Gods!   

Yes, I would love to get together and ride sometime.  I'm past the point of being pissed off at everything that happened and have told myself to calm down and just take it as it comes.  Hopefully, I will get a bike back that surpasses my expectations and the service issues will eventually fade from memory.

Greasy             

Offline c10

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XCX1200
  • City / Town: Sugar land
Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 02:33:29 AM
This is SHAD's 3P system bags like Givi V35 but 36 liters each with some better features .  I kicked around alum cans , but decided to stay with what I was use to , and aerodynamic . Nice bit is when removed no larger square rack left behind .  If I'm going off road its a dray bag on the rear rack for the plan .

Greasy thats a real bummer of a deal on the oil leak / casting flaw .   

Offline Greasy1

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: TIGER 1200 XRT
Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 08:38:42 AM
*Originally Posted by c10 [+]

Greasy thats a real bummer of a deal on the oil leak / casting flaw .   

Yes, I went into greater detail about my ordeal on the TROSA Board (Triumph Riders of San Antonio on Facebook).  Several chimed in wanting me to demand a replacement, get a loaner, or flat just get my money back.  None of that happened, so I'm waiting patiently dreaming about the day I can go riding again. 
Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 09:06:19 AM by Greasy1

nonskid