Author Topic: Gen3 XCa pre-crank Current Draw  (Read 492 times)

Offline CraptainC

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Gen3 XCa
  • City / Town: Chester
Gen3 XCa pre-crank Current Draw
on: November 21, 2020, 11:39:40 PM
Hello All.....
Does anybody know what then normal current draw should be with the ignition on but engine not running?

I was recently trying to diagnose a no-crank / no-start issue and noticed that my battery voltage was quickly dropping from 13.2v to 12.5v when the ignition was first turned on after refitting a fully charged battery. And when I tested the amount of current being taken from the battery I was shocked to find it maxed out at 9.6A (switch position before starter stage pressed) and even at its lowest (display UI only) the bike was still taking about 2.5A from the battery ...... no wonder the battery voltage (and capacity) was dropping so quickly  :003:

I currently have permanent fault where the engine won't crank, was thinking that maybe the battery voltage was too long, and am wondering if there is a major system fault and if the seemingly excessive current draw is symptom relating to this  :187: :187:

Triumph customer support have been 7/10ths of useless and/or unprepared to give me this information, so I wonder if any of you fine Tiger owners know the answer  or would be kind enough to do the test to help me establish if the current draw is a symptom or a red herring?

Thanks in advance
CC

Offline CraptainC

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Re: Gen3 XCa pre-crank Current Draw
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 04:36:23 PM
Update -  made some more measurements and get the following readings;

UI access only (forward rocker switch position) : 3.9A dropping to 3.69A after a while

Full ignition (pre crank) : 8.8A initially with lots of whirring sounds (presume ABS, Fuel, and other pumps), dropping to 4.6A when things quieten down a bit.

These seem to be very high, particularly as the battery is only a 11.8Ah - wouldn't take long to knacker the battery if you got distracted and didn't start the engine straight away!!!!!!

Would really appreciate someone with a Gen3 XCa checking this for me, as Triumph customer inservice are not getting back to me with anything useful (asked the questing 3 times over the past 2 weeks now), and as the bike is a non-starter I feel a dealer visit and a big bill coming on ..... and would at least like a feel for what is around the corner  :006:

Cheers
CC
Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 04:37:59 PM by CraptainC

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 04:58:28 PM
It does seem high but I can't say that it is abnormal or not, I don't have a clip-on ammeter so can't help you with the current measurement. I will look into the voltage drop at the battery for you tomorrow but I'm not sure that will give you any big clues. Do you have any dealer comeback or warranty of any kind?

Offline CraptainC

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 05:33:48 PM
Thanks Tel,
If the battery holds-up well when the ignition is turned on (but bike not running) - then this would indicate that my bike is pulling too much current.

I took the measurements with a digital multi-meter in series with the battery +ve lead, but my meter is quite beefy and can handle the high current - so I wouldn't want anyone to to try this if they were not sure & damage their kit on my account

Got to say,- I am not very impressed with Triumph's after sales service  - I bought the bike from new and have only put 6k on it in 2 years, and now it is a non-starter and Triumph UK don't seem to want to know ! I got it serviced by a main dealer in July ... and only done 200 mile since...... not a happy bunny  :003: :003: :003:

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 06:01:03 PM
There are a few of us here that have had longer term issues with the bike and indifference from Triumph but it is not the norm. I suspect the dealer just doesn't know the answer to your current draw question. Just be sure your battery is in 100% good nick, my 2018's battery lasted 2 years before it was totally shot. They are much smaller batteries from the Gen1 & 2's and there is anecdotal evidence that they are not the best. You might get an OBD2 cable off Amazon and use the free TigerTool software that T800XC has kindly developed, it might pick up some error codes for you? The bike doesn't have to start for it to pick up data. It can be found here https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,19482.msg226924.html#msg226924  Use the search tool in the forum for tips on ordering the right OBD2 cable.
Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 06:08:18 PM by XCaTel

Offline CraptainC

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 07:05:15 PM
Thanks for the reply and info.
It is actually Triumph direct customer service who are not responding with the info I asked - next step is dealer.
The battery is fine - bought new Yuasa replacement in the summer and had it on a optimate 4  since.  I originally thought that maybe I had a dodgy battery, so borrowed a new one to try, and got the same results.

Good advice re. the TigerTool and checking fault codes  :152: - a ODB2 scanner is good tool to have in my kit anyway, so think I will get one anyway.

It is a real shame that the Tex has died on me - makes me very nervous as I bought mostly for touring holidays, and this is the last thing I want when 1/2 way through a 2 week ride-out.

Hopefully when I get it to the dealer they will be able to give me a good explanation as to why the sudden death !

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 02:02:17 PM
I said I would post some battery voltage readings on start, see this post for details. Gen 3 Battery Status - this doesn't look right?  I'm afraid they won't be much help as I think I also have an issue although I can start the bike.

Offline CraptainC

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 04:40:14 PM
Thanks XCaTel.
I finally got a reply from Triumph tech support, and as a result managed to track down and fix the starting (or lack of it) issue, which as it turned out is probably unrelated to the current draw & battery voltage.
But as yet the Triumph chaps have not answered my primary questions re. current draw and min battery voltage for starting - when the do I will share the info into your other post.

The no-crank problem turned out to be a unseated connector inside the LH switch block (which apparently will cause the starter to be disabled). It was a bit of a pain to get the switch assembly apart and check the connectors, but once sorted the bike started first time :152:  Info will be shared via a new post  :002:

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 11:47:44 PM
 :047: great you got it fixed.

Offline CraptainC

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 11:23:41 AM
The type of fault suggests that this might have been an indirect consequence of fitting handlebar risers (which I did when bought the bike new 2 1/2 years ago).

Maybe additional tension was put on the cable when at full-lock has gradually pulled on the connector (which doesn't have a decent locking mechanism), and/or the cable has got caught at some point which stressed the connector.... as for strain relief, the cables (x2) going into the switch block have a cable tie that secures them to a plastic lug (not ideal).
I am pleased that this failed in my garage, as if happened whilst riding this could have been a lot more serious  :087:

I'm going to have a close look at the cable routing to see if I can find/create a bit more slack to compensate for the risers.   
Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 11:55:49 AM by CraptainC