Author Topic: Gen3 XCa pre-crank Current Draw  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Kixstart

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Falkirk
Re: Gen3 XCa pre-crank Current Draw
Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 10:43:57 AM
Morning Craptain C
 I have been having the same problem as you had with your gen3 tiger with it not starting and have traced it back to the l/h switchgear via your post,  I have tried opening the switchgear but with no great success can you help with any pointers on how to go about sorting the issue at the switchgear. I have taken out the two torx screws only to find it doesn't come apart like normal switchgear   :084:

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 11:16:09 AM
Are there additional 'security' screws?
Some Triumphs need weird 3 pronged screwdrivers to undo them like these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162832786841?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

Offline Kixstart

• Explorer Junior
Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 02:05:18 PM
There is two #8 torx screws holding the switchgear together but there is obviously more to it than just these screws as its not coming apart as per normal switchgear. I have contacted triumph in the hope they will send me a schematic of the switchgear so that i can crack on and fix the problem. :015:

Offline T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: English Riviera
Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 04:18:43 PM
I wouldn't try separating the switch cube before checking that the two connectors are pushed home fully. This has been documented on here if you follow this link for more info...

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,18520.70.html

It also shows internal photos of the switch assembly. Not much point asking Triumph for a wiring diagram as most of it is already available in the service manual. In addition to the basic switches used for cruise control, clutch & mode, the L/H switch cube has a LIN bus controller for communications with the TFT display for the other functions.

If you follow on to page 9 in the above link you'll see that the external cable tie is used (poorly) as a method of retaining the 2 connectors in the L/H switch cube and has been a source of grief for several. If you do decide to disassemble the switch cube, BE VERY CAREFUL not to damage the internal flex circuit as it could be a £140 mistake!
...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Offline CraptainC

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Gen3 XCa
  • City / Town: Chester
Reply #14 on: April 06, 2021, 07:23:49 PM
Hi Kixstart.
I had a similar problem until I realised that the switches at the top of the switch-block are part of the underlying switch assembly (not the cover you are trying to remove), and the removeable cover fits over the top of them and is held by the mating half (front of switch-block that faces rider).

Once the retaining screws and cable tie (used to provide strain relief to the cables) are removed you should be able to pivot the cover upwards enough to ease it over the top switches.

Once the cover is removed you will have access to the cable connectors.

Let me know if you are still having problems & I'll see if I can take a few pics.

Cheers
CC

Offline Kixstart

• Explorer Junior
Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 08:48:06 PM
Thanks again t800xc and CraptainC, I've got it done and she's up an running again .

Offline Kixstart

• Explorer Junior
Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 08:51:47 PM
Hi T800XC
you made reference to a service manual is it triumphs own or by haynes and where can i possibly purchase one.

Offline T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: English Riviera
Reply #17 on: April 06, 2021, 09:08:30 PM
*Originally Posted by Kixstart [+]
Hi T800XC
you made reference to a service manual is it triumphs own or by haynes and where can i possibly purchase one.
It's Triumph's own manual, downloaded from their TriTun website using the Firefox addon. There should be more info on how to do that on the forum somewhere, I just don't have the link to hand.
...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Offline Kixstart

• Explorer Junior
Reply #18 on: April 06, 2021, 10:04:18 PM
Thanks for this anyway I'll get looking for it.

nonskid