Author Topic: Seat Upgrade / Compatible Seats ?  (Read 1814 times)

Online CraptainC

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Gen3 XCa
  • City / Town: Chester
Re: Seat Upgrade / Compatible Seats ?
Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 08:43:51 AM
Interesting info re the different types of heater / controller - explains why Triumph changed the connector. Cheers  :467:
If I get the opportunity during my own seat re-build I'll have a closer look at the element and controller on my 2018 seat.

As for the seating heating,-  I never had this luxury until I got the Tiger, and must admit the previously it didn't bother me. However, having been PWT and freezing my T's off a couple of times I must admit that I have come to appreciate having the option of a heated seat (and grips) - maybe I'm getting soft in my old age  :006: 

Offline Saulius

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Jonava
Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 04:19:06 PM
I'll check in tomorrow. I have 2012 seats. I'll put it on Alpine tomorrow.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 09:46:13 AM
*Originally Posted by CraptainC [+]

As for the seating heating,-  I never had this luxury until I got the Tiger, and must admit the previously it didn't bother me. However, having been PWT and freezing my T's off a couple of times I must admit that I have come to appreciate having the option of a heated seat (and grips) - maybe I'm getting soft in my old age  :006:

I wouldn't worry about it CraptainC,  :002: I'm well ahead of you! I have a heated vest which I use a lot but am just about to roll out the heated soles and inner gloves now we are into December.

Online CraptainC

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #13 on: December 04, 2020, 11:04:11 AM
Flippin eck! you're keen Tel - fully decked out for winter riding ...hat off to you   :037:
I'm mostly a good weather rider these days, although if you go high enough even in the summer there is still snow to be found. So can see the attraction of heated vest and shoes ...... maybe ideas for my Santa list  :001:

Offline Saulius

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Jonava
Reply #14 on: December 04, 2020, 04:42:02 PM

no difference...

Online CraptainC

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #15 on: December 04, 2020, 11:11:42 PM
looks conclusive - thanks All for the comments and info, and Saulius for taking / posting the pics  :467:

So seat pan the same across Gen's and only differences are the heater element type & connector (if heated), and cushion/finish.

As I am looking to gain some legroom as well as sort out the forward lean, this gives me the following options;

1) buy a cheap trashed seat from any 1200 model and strip the seat pan out as a donor for a custom seat (if I can live without the heater),
2) get my stock Gen3 seat customized (cushion modified and re-upholstered).
3) buy a used & abused Gen3 seat c/w heater and use this as a donor and keep my stock seat as a spare.

I'm leaning towards option 3, as would prefer to keep stock seat in case I don't like the custom seat after all the effort - which would be a shame after all this !

Will update & post pics when the job is done.
Cheers
CC

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #16 on: December 05, 2020, 11:12:18 AM
As I am looking to gain some legroom as well as sort out the forward lean, this gives me the following options;

Not exactly sure what you mean by "the lean forward" but have you tried putting the front of the seat on the higher position with the rear on lower? A lot of people find it improves the seating position, although it might not cure your legroom issue.

Online CraptainC

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #17 on: December 05, 2020, 01:47:51 PM
By 'lean forward' I'm talking about the design of the stock seat which puts the rider in a slightly forward leaning position - which is fine for some as gives a more focused riding position, but I find this uncomfortable due to knackered hips. 
I have tried setting the seat height low back / high front and this does help, but by doing this you technically loose the height adjustment option. So I'd rather get the seat modified to give me a flatter sitting position and still have the option to adjust the seat height overall.
Hopefully a flatter position and higher seat will improve the comfort and help me keep riding the Tiger for a couple more years at least !

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #18 on: December 05, 2020, 09:18:59 PM
Flippin eck! you're keen Tel - fully decked out for winter riding ...hat off to you   :037:
I'm mostly a good weather rider these days, although if you go high enough even in the summer there is still snow to be found. So can see the attraction of heated vest and shoes ...... maybe ideas for my Santa list  :001:
Oh yes, definate Santa stuff. I'm not mad on big thick winter gloves and a thin heated glove liner in my summer glove on a crisp (dry) winters day works a treat. I love a winter ride, you get to see some great places uncluttered of other motorists. But yes, you've gotta be in the mood and I avoid icy days of course. A riding club I'm a member of just arranged a ride out for the 20th December with the relaxed restrictions, we have a 5 hour route, more like 6 after a stop or two......I need that heated gear!

Offline mcchoc

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Goole
Reply #19 on: December 07, 2020, 04:34:29 PM
I've been using a 'cool cover' since I got the Tiger, as I couldn't get used to the non sport-tourer riding position. 

https://www.coolcovers.co.uk/

I can recommend this product -  it has helped me to attain all day riding comfort. 

nonskid