Author Topic: Fuel additives  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Hondotech

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Hondotech
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Albuquerque
Re: Fuel additives
Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 02:49:25 PM
That all makes sense to me. Thanks for the explanation and the link to StarTron.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 04:12:07 PM
*Originally Posted by vsteel [+]
I have watched the video and I disagree with him on one topic.  When he throws down the stack of paper and says with everything going in gasoline don't you think if the fuel companies could add something to make the fuel last longer they would have.   No I don't think they would because it would cost more.  Even adding a tenth of a cent to fuel would still be a huge deal because of the billions of gallons they make a year.   Not to mention the longer the fuel lasts the more people can store it and speculate on the market.  Not in their best interest and also not a priority for them.   If they can get it out the door just fine, it is no longer their problem.
I recall a story about someone finding a buried cache of WW2 aviation fuel stored in barrels. When they opened them up, the gas was in perfect condition. The only additive was likely lead.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 01:52:01 AM
 When stored properly Ethenol fuel has a shelf life of about 3 months...pure gas has a shelf life of about 6 moths and  Av-Gas is  about 12 months , with a supposed large margin of safety built into the Av Gas  claim ...

fuel treatments will extend these times but its not infinite

Offline Hondotech

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Hondotech
Reply #13 on: December 05, 2020, 02:14:27 AM
That a long time on the fuel storage being ok! I once bought a used bike that had been sitting in a garage for a while, months I guess. The carbs were varnished bad with a amber looking color to them. The bike wasn't running well and just needed the carbs cleaned. I've worried a little about the ethanol fuel ever since. I am going to find some of the SmarTron that you have been using. I will let you know how she does. Thanks

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
Reply #14 on: December 05, 2020, 06:17:14 PM
I use Chevron 94 here which has no ethanol and has Techron as an additive for cleaning. I used to use Stabil but noticed that it goes bad if you keep a bottle longer than a year. Ethanol can absorb water from the air and can cause corrosion in fuel tanks and fuel systems over time. It can also dissolve tank linings and shrink plastic fuel tanks.

If you are planning to ride once or twice a month it should be fine.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 09:08:48 PM
I have been putting fuel additive (lead substitute & stabiliser mix), in my 1952 MG TD with twin carbs every year for many years now. Our fuel here is 5% Ethanol. This car spends 4-6 months off the road every year, along with my lawnmower (with no additive). Both start just fine in the spring/summer with no carb overhaul or float bowl drain. Either the stabiliser is working and Forte 9's test methodologies are flawed or the fuel is lasting much longer than 3 months with and without the additive. It's a mystery  :187: :005:

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Reply #16 on: December 06, 2020, 12:28:08 PM
I use Stabil in all the fuel for my power equipment (due to some carb issues in the past), and have not had an issue with anything since.

My motorcycle get Stabil at the end of the riding season.

Additionally, I found a local gas station the sells "recreational" gas- no ethanol and 92 or higher octane.  It's fairly expensive, but that's what I get for the lawn mower, generator, and the quad.  It might be a waste of time, but this gets the Stabil treatment as well- it can sit in the garage for a couple of months.

My 2-stroke stuff (chainsaw, weed trimmer and leaf blower) get Husqvarna pre-mix fuel from the store.  It might be overkill and it might be perception, but the chainsaw at least runs much better on this or another brand of pre-mixed fuel than it does on the stuff I mix myself (although I have not tried the revreational gas for these, yet).

So, I say stabilize away.  Better safe than sorry.  It's cheap insurance.

Stabil is good for 2 years after you open the bottle, povided you keep the bottle closed tightly.  I never have a bottle round that long.
Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
Reply #17 on: December 06, 2020, 04:36:22 PM
Which begs the question, can you get stabilizer for your stabilizer :038:

Offline Hondotech

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Hondotech
Reply #18 on: December 06, 2020, 05:24:25 PM
There is good selection of additives out there. I trying Startron by Starbrite. A tip from Crosshairs. This one is a enzyme treatment. I put some on yesterday on went for a 100 mile ride. I've want to keep this machine running like a jewel that she is.

Offline NorthumBryan

• Explorer Member
  • NorthumBryan
  • Bike: Tigger 1200 Alpine
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Reply #19 on: December 11, 2020, 08:08:33 AM
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
It can also dissolve tank linings and shrink plastic fuel tanks.
When I used to have a Caponord 1200 one of the issues was the fuel tank expanding due to ethanol. Once you filled up with ethanol free fuel it wen't back down to normal. Either way it's not good.
Talking bollocks since 1965...