Author Topic: Bridgestone Battlax T32  (Read 4548 times)

Offline cobb04

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 Alpine
  • City / Town: Harrogate
Re: Bridgestone Battlax T32
Reply #20 on: September 27, 2021, 10:47:33 AM
*Originally Posted by Captain Tom [+]
Hi Cobb04,

I did replace the tyres at 6150 miles for Metzeler roadtec%u2019s and they are undoubtedly quieter than the stock tyres. It hasn%u2019t stopped the engine noise at 55mph though. It%u2019s not as bad because I think the combination of the 2 (engine and tyres) made it unbearable!!

I intend to post my thoughts and experience of the bike to date when I get chance having now covered 12000 miles but Triumph have admitted the engine noise at certain speeds comes from the balance shaft. Evidently some do some don%u2019t. A bit like some vibrate some don%u2019t! %uD83E%uDD2C%uD83E%uDD2C

According to the technician at my dealership who has worked on the Tigers since gen1 it can vary between bikes at what speed the noise is at it%u2019s worst and it could eventually disappear with more miles on the bike. Mine is worst in 3rd at 38mph, which you soon accelerate through and then between 52 an 58mph. At 59 it%u2019s quiet, LIKE IT SHOULD BE. Annoyingly it%u2019s at its worst in that range at 55mph, which is typical A road speed in the flow of traffic.

So tyres might help lessen the noise but if yours is like mine, it won%u2019t cure everything.

Hi.

Very interesting. I've just done over 2 1/2k in the last 2 weeks around Wales and Scotland. Riding with my visor cracked slightly open at around 55 mph the noise from the front end is quite disturbing.
It is definitely a combination of tyre and possibly fairing as I did notice this noise changing when travelling over different road surfaces.

I've now done over 6 1/2k on the original Metzellers and amazed that they are still legal. I'm sure I can get a few more months use out of the rear. It has squared off but still operational. The front has squared too but the edges are basically done. Lots of fast bends in Scotland I think have seen to them.

I was following a mate who was on a KTM 1290 Adventurer S and he wasn't hanging around. His bike is fitted with Michelin Road/trail5 and he was super impressed with them. Especially in wet/damp conditions. In those conditions my front end felt very woolly, I didn't trust the Metzellers and had to wave good bye to him as he disappeared into the distance.

I need to make a decision. Unfortunately whatever you decide you won't know until they are on and you've spent the money  :027:   

Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 11:05:30 AM by cobb04

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #21 on: September 27, 2021, 04:25:43 PM
Michelin Roads are my favourite tyre but at present there seem to be absolutely none in stock anywhere in UK.

Offline Captain Tom

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 Alpine
  • City / Town: Norfolk
Reply #22 on: September 27, 2021, 07:36:22 PM
Cobb04,

if your Alpine is the same as mine when you change the tyres you will be disappointed that the noise remains, although not as bad. There is no doubt that the stock tyres are noisy and do contribute to the racket at certain speeds. What I find confusing with this bike is it is inconsistent. Yes the noise varies with different road surfaces, which is typical of any tyre but with the Metzeler Road tec's fitted it is considerably quieter. 

The engine noise (balance shaft noise according to Triumph, see below) at around 55mph remains though, well, most of the time. For the first 25 miles or so my bike can be quiet, in fact the other day it was almost silent and it was beautifully smooth. I almost got my hopes up that this infernal noise had disappeared, at last. Later in the day however after doing quite a bit of town riding, on the way home it was as bad as ever.

I do think it is gradually getting less but I would love the bike a whole lot more if it disappeared altogether.

This is the explanation I got from Triumph.

"As to the balance shaft noise. The clutch and balance shafts are driven off the crankshaft and use to be fitted with backlash gears. These have now been replaced with straight cut gears that can sometime whine due to the tolerances they are manufactured to, generally they will machine themselves together and become quieter over time."

Please let us know if your noise disappears when you change tyres. By the way my Roadtec's have now done over 7000 miles and look good for at least another 1000.

Online JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Reply #23 on: September 27, 2021, 10:00:31 PM
The only noise from my Pirelli Scorpion Trail IIs sounds a lot like whoops of excitement coming from somewhere inside my helmet.

No road noise that I have noticed over the last 20K miles.  3rd or 4th set installed just a couple of weeks ago.
Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?

Offline Pailton

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCa
  • City / Town: Leicester
Reply #24 on: October 25, 2021, 09:41:46 AM
Ok Last update

5 1/2 -6k miles achieved out of the rear, it was down to the legal limit and I have to say it started to feel crap. Another pair on but not the GT version as I couldn't find any.

It's going to be interesting how these compare to the GT one's.

In Summary

About 1 - 2 k less miles than the PR5's but way more enjoyable for all the reasons I've mentioned before. £325 fitted they're not cheep though.