Author Topic: UK MOT Change LED Headlight Bulbs  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: XRx Low (Sold)
  • City / Town: Billericay
UK MOT Change LED Headlight Bulbs
on: January 13, 2021, 10:04:09 AM
Just a heads up. as not sure if anyone saw this but the MOT rules for headlights were updated on 11th Jan 2021, making both HID and LED headlamp bulb conversions an MOT failure. So if yours is going in for an MOT and has LED bulbs fitted, you may want to consider swapping them out for the MOT

Reference -  https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/updates

Look under updates January 2021, Section 4.1.4 which reads:
4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Changed sentence from 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.' to 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'
Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 10:28:03 AM by Hawkeye

Offline takingiteasy

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Tewkesbury
Re: UK MOT Change LED Headlight Bulbs
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 11:26:38 AM
Wow! That's going to catch a lot of people out. My previous bike was the Trophy SE and most of the owners had converted to one of these options. There's a massive aftermarket business in the U.K. with such fittings and I do wonder if such changes are influenced by the major manufacturers rather based solely on safety arguments.  Many thanks for letting us know.

Offline NorthumBryan

• Explorer Member
  • NorthumBryan
  • Bike: Tigger 1200 Alpine
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 12:41:52 PM
Yes, a good 'heads up' as I know a lot of people have gone down either the HID or LED route. Probably not too much of an issue if you have projector style lights and the ballasts are well tucked in but for 'conventional' reflector lenses it's an easy spot.
Talking bollocks since 1965...

Offline Rigsville

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: Atherstone
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 01:38:55 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 05:14:28 PM
Good news - at least it might take many of the blinding headlights off the road
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 08:36:21 AM
The logic on this one baffles me. The MOT specification should be along the lines of lamps must be correctly aligned and 'effective' whatever that might mean. Carbide, candle, nuclear reactor etc all acceptable as long as they don't dazzle and they throw a proper pattern. The MOT is all about safety and being seen and being able to see are part of that. Why on earth making an LED a failure makes any sense is a mystery to me. I have a 25 year old Landcruiser and the headlights are woeful. I put LEDs in and wow it's like a modern car. Yes, some LEDs can throw a dreadful pattern for a variety of reasons, but correctly fitted they're an excellent addition to safety. I might pop up and speak to my local MOT guys, wearing a mask of course.

The daft thing is that most people will simply put the old lamps back in, get the test done, then put the LEDs back in again. Yes, I know, someone is going to say "ahh but in a collision, it might invalidate your insurance ..." TBH honest, having read through all my insurances, I doubt that I'd be covered for anything anyway. There's a caveat on every clause.

Offline Phil

• Explorer Pro
  • Phil
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
  • City / Town: Pulborough
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 09:43:59 AM
 :464:

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 11:10:20 AM
The logic on this one baffles me. The MOT specification should be along the lines of lamps must be correctly aligned and 'effective' whatever that might mean. Carbide, candle, nuclear reactor etc all acceptable as long as they don't dazzle and they throw a proper pattern. The MOT is all about safety and being seen and being able to see are part of that. Why on earth making an LED a failure makes any sense is a mystery to me. I have a 25 year old Landcruiser and the headlights are woeful. I put LEDs in and wow it's like a modern car. Yes, some LEDs can throw a dreadful pattern for a variety of reasons, but correctly fitted they're an excellent addition to safety. I might pop up and speak to my local MOT guys, wearing a mask of course.

The daft thing is that most people will simply put the old lamps back in, get the test done, then put the LEDs back in again. Yes, I know, someone is going to say "ahh but in a collision, it might invalidate your insurance ..." TBH honest, having read through all my insurances, I doubt that I'd be covered for anything anyway. There's a caveat on every clause.

Agree.  I welcome getting the bad / blinding lighting off the road but regulations/law needs a real good update. Think I'm right in saying UK still has the 50/55W rule which is totally outdated/ inapplicable for likes of LEDs.  Years ago when we led the car manufacturing it was relevant and could be enforced.  Now we import nearly everything we don't have any sway in what is fitted by OEM let alone after market.  Our type approval is a bit of a joke and there is even less control over the aftermarket stuff. 

We already have headlight alignment rules for MOT's and in my experience they are enforced at the inspection - but there are always going to be those who flaunt it.  I do wonder tho' how many people would bother swapping lights out every year just for the MOT.  Not always a straight forward one for one plug in/out job.
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 11:40:56 AM
Ahh well that's the old adage of 'laws are for the law abiding' isn't it. The rest do as they please.

As a motorist and in general, I care about stuff. Maybe to much, but I care. I insure my vehicles, wear a mask in the supermarket, pay my TV licence, don't drink and drive, pay my credit card bill on time, don't park in disabled bays or on double yellows. You know, all that sort of stuff. But on this matter, I have to confess that if it means taking my LEDs out for the test and putting them back in again, then I will. Being law abiding and sensible doesn't mean that I can't make my own mind up about something. And if the MOT station (who is very VERY sensible about this stuff) also thinks it's a dud of an idea, but has to enforce it at the time, then I shall exercise my own judgement and put the LEDs back in.

My wife rides too and when she's following me, I look at her lights. (Tigga 800, what a gal) and frankly they aren't very attention grabbing. My mate, also on an 800 (needs to man-up) has LEDs. They increase his visibility substantially. They aren't blinding, they're just in a better part of the light spectrum. I have just put LEDS in the 800 this weekend as it happens and we managed a quick spin out and about. Her bike is much more visible now. Instead of those yellow candle-like headlights, they're crisp and white. We rarely ride in the dark so it's not for illumination really, although I have tried them and they're fantastic.

But being a person who cares, I installed these in front of a wall where I could mark the current pattern and ensure that the LEDs matched the markings I'd made.

The problem is that there are lots of people out there who just don't care. Why? Because for them, there's rarely any consequence to their actions; that's why. People just don't give a s*** anymore. I'll do what I like and damn the rest of you.

I'd be interested to know what has put the spotlight (groan) on LED lamps in headlights in the first place. Quite possibly it could be the number of recorded fails at MOT for poor beam pattern where LEDs were fitted (badly). Ahh, therefore LEDs are the problem, prohibit LEDs.

Offline Phil

• Explorer Pro
  • Phil
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
  • City / Town: Pulborough
Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 04:31:32 PM
 :464:

Excellent post. I agree with every point made and I for one will be swapping out my bulbs every year at MoT time.

Phil  :152: