Author Topic: UK MOT Change LED Headlight Bulbs  (Read 1453 times)

Offline NorthumBryan

• Explorer Pro
  • NorthumBryan
  • Bike: Tigger 1200 Alpine
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Re: UK MOT Change LED Headlight Bulbs
Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 05:23:24 PM
Where I go when I need a bike MOT'd a bottle of Vodka secures a pass regardless of condition...
Talking bollocks since 1965...

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 10:53:03 PM
 :0461: stillwobbling, the only mistake you made was still paying your BBC license fee  :151:

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 02:47:02 PM
Oh yeah! A light thread for my new year!
(c8

Well, well, well... The compulsively lighting obsessed rider that I am wants to share a bit of thinking and experience.

(Beware: Dr NiK's boring lecture ahead)

MOT (and all such state cash machines enacted in the name of safety, whatever the country) is a compliance verification procedure. You tick the boxes when the vehicle is in the exact same state as in the book. This is not safety.

As I found out through the (many) years, trying to improve my night riding without blinding oncomers, there are essentially three factors to be taken into account:
- Bulb "power". Means little in terms of wattage as soon as you change the light source technology. Let's consider the raw light bulb output. Oh wait! This figure means little also, because almost anyone can give whatever figure they want for marketing purpose. I don't believe there is any actual verification on this. I'm not even sure there exists any reliable measurement procedure. I've seen 1,000 lumens LED chips bettering so-called 2,000 ones.
- Projection technology. I had an infamous Tiger 1050 (Mk1, with the single lenticular projector for low beam) and its light pattern was completely different than that of my 1st T12. This was so inefficient that I tried a HID conversion (the powerful one). The stupid light banana on the road was clearer but I still couldn't see the road properly at night. However, as soon as the projection cutoff was crossed (road bumps and holes, sudden acceleration, etc.) the oncomers were instantly Stevie Wondered. I had the same problem with LED aux lights on my following T12s.
- Light source nature. Halogens (H4/H7) are filaments. HIDs act somewhat like a filament (arc lights). LEDs are point lights. In each case, you must have a perfectly adapted projector to use along. If you aim to actually achieve an acceptable lighting/blinding compromise that is. I doubt that many bike manufacturers place this on their priority list.

As a matter of fact, if MOT (and the likes) were to check the safety of headlights, they should have complex detectors (i.e. able to measure the light output on a large number of areas in front of the bike) and use them in repeatable configurations. Additionally, they should account for movement (which is the whole point on the road, isn't it?).
Do they? Well, I don't think so! That would be too costly (read: not enough revenue for the MOT companies). So we're down to the simplistic "line on the wall" technology. Of course they have a technomagical thingy to give you the feeling of professionalism, but it basically does the same thing as we all do on our walls.
And now they'll check bulb's compliance. Which, again, means little.

All that said, I encounter HID/LED retrofitted cretins on the road on a regular basis. I know they're cretins because I was just like them before I decided to understand things a bit more. They think their new bulb is more powerful (pissing contest) and looks waaaay cooler (pissing contest again). Most of the times (but not always), it only blinds others without any significant lighting improvement (I even installed a powerful LED bulb that was pitifully dimmer than my old halogen).

All that said said (intentionally repeated), all of this will achieve only one goal: people will swap their bulbs before MOT, then change them back. Yet another example of politicians pretending to do something for the better good, whereas they're only making themselves look good.

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 05:08:23 PM
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
All that said said (intentionally repeated), all of this will achieve only one goal: people will swap their bulbs before MOT, then change them back. Yet another example of politicians pretending to do something for the better good, whereas they're only making themselves look good.

Just because politicians don't know how to change a bulb they assume no one else does!

Although to be fair to politicians (thats something I never thought I'd ever say) they are probably as ignorant of the regulation details as they are of changing bulbs because the regulations are drafted by unelected bureaucrats (who also don't know how to change a bulb & assume no one else does). The politicians just sign off what the bureaucrats put in front of them!

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 02:01:46 AM
Since I moved to Americaland, I don't have to put up with that MOT nonsense any more. There are no inspections of any sort. And getting a bike license is a joke. You wobble around a set of cones for 10 minutes in the car park behind the DMV, then, full license in hand, pop down to your local bike shop and purchase your 200 horsepower missile. (All I have to do is make sure I drive on the same side of the road as everyone else here.)

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #15 on: January 19, 2021, 03:28:16 PM
No MOT or bike checks here in Ireland either, happy days. There is an extensive car testing regime though and a bottle of Vodka (or anything else) definately won't work, it is very strict.

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #16 on: January 19, 2021, 10:27:51 PM
No MOT on vehicles in South Australia either (just on ME because I'm an old fart).
Some other states do have it.
Provided it isn't rorted, it's probably a good idea, perhaps weeding out clunkers that shouldn't be on the road.

I didn't bother with LED lights on my TEx.  After the Yammie Diversion, its lights were great.
Now on the T1200 with LED lights and fogs, no complaints at all.   :002:

I don't do much night riding, it's mostly coming home from somewhere in the suburbs.  Dusk to dawn in the countryside here is a bit dangerous.  Our roadside critters can be large and solid.  And slowly but surely, the kangaroo is being out-sized by feral deer!
Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 10:31:23 PM by KenW