Author Topic: Fully closed throttle position  (Read 806 times)

Offline Stablemate

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Cape Coral, Fl.
Fully closed throttle position
on: January 13, 2021, 09:22:35 PM
I have Tigertool and Dealertool. I've balanced the throttle bodies on my 2013 Tiger Explorer but it wants to die sometimes when I come to a stop. How do I get the throttle to the fully closed position so I can adjust the throttle position sensor voltage?

Thanks, Mel
Stablemate

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Fully closed throttle position
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 10:22:08 PM
*Originally Posted by Stablemate [+]
I have Tigertool and Dealertool. I've balanced the throttle bodies on my 2013 Tiger Explorer but it wants to die sometimes when I come to a stop. How do I get the throttle to the fully closed position so I can adjust the throttle position sensor voltage?

What cylinder did you use as the reference? Put another way, did you try to adjust the center cylinder? The center cylinder is not adjustable because it hosts the stepper motor. It should be used as the reference cylinder.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Stablemate

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 02:01:08 PM
As you said, the center cylinder is non adjustable. The bike runs smoother at highway speeds since balancing the throttle bodies but dies sometimes when I come to a stop. When I set the TPS to 0.64 volts then start and run the bike, then recheck the voltage its back to 0.79 volts. If I disconnect the throttle actuator motor, will that close the throttles?

Mel
Stablemate

Offline T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: English Riviera
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 02:27:39 PM
How do I get the throttle to the fully closed position so I can adjust the throttle position sensor voltage?
There's a fairly simple process as part of the TPS replacement instructions that forces the throttle to the fully closed position. Other than the official Triumph software, I think only TuneECU provides this function. It's not in the TigerTool or Dealertool software.

When I set the TPS to 0.64 volts then start and run the bike, then recheck the voltage its back to 0.79 volts.
How are you setting the TPS to 0.64V?

...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Offline Stablemate

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 02:49:10 PM
I took the plastic panel between the frame rails out to give access to the TPS (instead of removing the throttle bodies), loosen the two screws on the TPS and rotated it to show .64v on Dealertool.
Stablemate

Offline T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: English Riviera
Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 03:14:26 PM
I took the plastic panel between the frame rails out to give access to the TPS (instead of removing the throttle bodies), loosen the two screws on the TPS and rotated it to show .64v on Dealertool.
I guess that would be fine if you'd used the correct software to close the throttle fully first. If not, you could be setting it to the wrong base position.

That said, on my 2012 Explorer the idle voltages were 0.747 (TPS #1) and 0.771 (TPS #2) so perhaps yours isn't too far out when it resets to 0.79V at idle.
...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Offline Stablemate

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 04:00:28 PM
If I disconnect the throttle actuator motor, will that close the throttles?

At operating temp TPS1 is .74 and TPS2 is .70
Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 04:29:23 PM by Stablemate
Stablemate

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 05:13:24 PM
As you said, the center cylinder is non adjustable. The bike runs smoother at highway speeds since balancing the throttle bodies but dies sometimes when I come to a stop. When I set the TPS to 0.64 volts then start and run the bike, then recheck the voltage its back to 0.79 volts. If I disconnect the throttle actuator motor, will that close the throttles?

Mel
If the bike was idling OK before you balanced the TBs then you should ask yourself what else has changed? It is not normal to need to adjust the TPS voltage. Is there a vacuum leak somewhere? TBs seated properly? Rubber boots on TBs cracked?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Stablemate

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 05:44:59 PM
The bike was surging at highway speed and the throttle bodies were unbalanced. When I talked to the service manger at the triumph dealer he said if you balance the throttle bodies the TPS voltage will also need adjusting.  The bike now runs good at highway speed but idles rough and sometimes dies.
Stablemate

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 06:07:59 PM
The bike was surging at highway speed and the throttle bodies were unbalanced. When I talked to the service manger at the triumph dealer he said if you balance the throttle bodies the TPS voltage will also need adjusting.  The bike now runs good at highway speed but idles rough and sometimes dies.
The OEM service manual says nothing about having to adjust the TPS voltage after a TB balance. I don't think that would be normal. The manual recommends the TPS voltage be adjusted only when new parts have been installed.

The OEM service manual (page 10.139) says that the OEM "diagnostic tool will send a command which drives the throttle to the fully closed position" when the ADJUST button is pressed. It seems to be a function of the dealer software.

The other thing that strikes me as odd, is that I don't think that I have heard of anyone adjusting TB balance to cure a highway surge problem. How far off was your balance? It is usually just to smooth the engine vibrations.

There is another note in the service manual about TPS voltage setup:

This is a setting Voltage only. Because of the adaptive nature of the engine management system, in-service Voltage may vary from this setting figure.
Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 06:16:38 PM by CaptainTrips