Author Topic: OEM rear dogbone and sensor arm  (Read 943 times)

Offline burangs

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 XCX
  • City / Town: SC USA
OEM rear dogbone and sensor arm
on: January 17, 2021, 07:40:37 PM
Hi,

Just what the title says ... I was curious if anyone might know (or could measure) the length eye to eye of the original dogbone links. I bought a bike that has been lowered and I am considering raising it back up to stock height. Problem is the original dogbones are long ago MIA. My hope is that if it tighten the current turnbuckle up —that they might be close enough to avoid having to replace them.

Also, as a side note, anyone know of a pic that shows the stock orientation of the swing arm position sensor lever at the top?

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline burangs

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Re: OEM rear dogbone and sensor arm
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 08:45:20 PM
Sorry!!!

This is on a 2018 Tiger 1200 XCX!

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline trade_nancy

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2018 1200
  • City / Town: Manawatu
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 03:29:55 AM
Hi Jeff
My bike is 2018 XR..assume there will be no difference for that. I replaced dogbones with LUST Racing 20mm lowering kit..so I have the old bones here to measure. End to end is 126mm. Eyes centre as requested = 92mm.
Regards
Mark

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 03:44:09 PM
*Originally Posted by burangs [+]

Also, as a side note, anyone know of a pic that shows the stock orientation of the swing arm position sensor lever at the top?

It doesn't matter. If you fit the Triumph OEM rod it is fixed and not adjustable (unlike the Lust Racing one) so you cannot get it wrong. If you don't have the OEM rod and want to keep the Lust I'll measure my OEM which is off the bike. It'll have to be tomorrow though, difference should be about 6mm but that is only if they had it setup right in the first place.

Offline burangs

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 06:28:37 PM
*Originally Posted by trade_nancy [+]
Hi Jeff
My bike is 2018 XR..assume there will be no difference for that. I replaced dogbones with LUST Racing 20mm lowering kit..so I have the old bones here to measure. End to end is 126mm. Eyes centre as requested = 92mm.
Regards
Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank you! That is the sort of thing I was looking for. My turnbuckles are currently at 110mm eye to eye. I have about ~10mm more that I can take out of them, so call it 100mm. That is within 8mm of your stock length and I can live with the slight drop that would remain.

I appreciate it!

Regards,

Jeff

Offline burangs

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 07:21:34 PM
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
It doesn't matter. If you fit the Triumph OEM rod it is fixed and not adjustable (unlike the Lust Racing one) so you cannot get it wrong. If you don't have the OEM rod and want to keep the Lust I'll measure my OEM which is off the bike. It'll have to be tomorrow though, difference should be about 6mm but that is only if they had it setup right in the first place.

Hi,

I probably wasn't clear with what I'm looking for ... I'd like to see where a bone stock OEM lever sits without any adjustments of any kind.
The reason is as you suggest ... "only if they had it setup right in the first place." I bought the bike second hand and it has the adjustable rod. I'm not looking for a length, rather an angle.

As you can see in the pic below, the angle defined by the red square decreases as the bike returns to stock height. Once I know where that angle is on a stock bike, I can adjust the rod to be in the ballpark (less the small drop as mentioned in the previous post).

Thanks again!

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 10:28:41 PM
*Originally Posted by burangs [+]
Hi,

I probably wasn't clear with what I'm looking for ... I'd like to see where a bone stock OEM lever sits without any adjustments of any kind.
The reason is as you suggest ... "only if they had it setup right in the first place." I bought the bike second hand and it has the adjustable rod. I'm not looking for a length, rather an angle.

As you can see in the pic below, the angle defined by the red square decreases as the bike returns to stock height. Once I know where that angle is on a stock bike, I can adjust the rod to be in the ballpark (less the small drop as mentioned in the previous post).

Thanks again!

No, I understood what you meant. If I measure my stock Triumph rod and you copy that length with your adjustable rod it doesn't matter what the angle of the sensor is, it will be correct.

Offline burangs

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 10:42:59 PM
No, I understood what you meant. If I measure my stock Triumph rod and you copy that length with your adjustable rod it doesn't matter what the angle of the sensor is, it will be correct.

*If our bikes are the same height.

I still don’t know exactly what height my bike will end up, but if I know this angle then I can adjust the rod length to suit. That is the point of noting its original angular position. Unfortunately, mine was not marked and with turnbuckles instead of fixed length links, who really know exactly how much the bike has been lowered, or now raised? If I have the angle, it doesn’t matter.

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 06:54:14 PM
OK. With the Lust kit they are looking for the same angle as stock after their dog bones are fitted. This is the position of my sensor when it was stock (when marked) and now again after the conversion. I did find a small difference did have quite an impact on the preload and handling. You can muck about with it for best effect.
Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 06:56:16 PM by XCaTel

Offline burangs

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 08:13:44 PM
OK. With the Lust kit they are looking for the same angle as stock after their dog bones are fitted. This is the position of my sensor when it was stock (when marked) and now again after the conversion. I did find a small difference did have quite an impact on the preload and handling. You can muck about with it for best effect.

Beautiful! Exactly what I was looking for, thank you —and thank you for your patience! Picking up a used bike can be challenging when trying to reverse changes and modifications. It can be impossible when you have no baseline!

I am staggered at the massive difference between the stock mark and where mine is currently aligned. This tells me that my rod was just thrown in there with likely NO consideration to adjusting it properly ... a veritable shade-tree job and I will go about correcting it at the earliest opportunity.

The plan is to minimize the turnbuckle length which should equate closely to the 20mm drop of the fixed links. I’ll set the droplink so the lever approaches your stock marks and I’ll reset the forks to about 12mm. Some micro adjustments to the droplink should dial it in from there.

I will post back as things progress.

Thanks again and regards,

Jeff

nonskid