Author Topic: Buying from Outside of the UK........an interesting Read !!!!!!!  (Read 888 times)

Offline JENKS

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer,
  • City / Town: west sussex
Buying bike gear from the EU post-Brexit
The free-movement, tariff-free deal that most of us thought we had got just before Christmas has turned out not to be quite what a lot of us expected. Basically, if goods are made in Europe, they can be imported from Europe without tariffs. But if those goods were originally produced outside of Europe, tariffs are going to be payable. Now ultimately the manufacturers will set up bonded warehouses in Europe, or send goods to the UK directly from the factories; and this will stop tariffs being levied twice. But, in the short term, some goods will inevitably increase in price. But there is an implication for bikers who want to access cheaper prices by buying directly out of internet sellers in France, Germany, Spain or Italy. When your goods arrive at your door, you will be expected to pay the tariff, which will vary depending on the product and the country of origin. You will also have to pay 20% VAT on the cost of the product and the tariff. None of this is good news for the FC Motos of this world. And that’s not all. If you buy anything from Europe, you will now be grey importing as European retailers do not have rights to sell outside the borders of the EU. So you, as the consumer, will have no legal recourse. And lastly if, for whatever reason, you want to return the item you have just bought, you will not be able to claim back the tariff charge or the VAT. Everyone likes a good price, but now buying from Europe may not be the best way to get one. And indeed, we have already noticed that some European retailers are refusing to send goods to the UK; and that’s apparently driven by the fact that UK buyers are refusing to take delivery once they know they have to pay the extra charges. We’ll put up more posts as the position becomes clearer. We’ve ordered some products from Europe, so will let you know what we learn when the goods come in.     FORTUNATELY I AM STILL DOING DEALS ON RUKKA SCHUBERTH AND DAYTONA, and this doesn't effect my prices.

Offline Phil

• Explorer Pro
  • Phil
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
  • City / Town: Pulborough
Interesting.  Great advice, many thanks Andrew!

Phil  :152:

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Muttley the Explorer
  • City / Town: Tonyrefail
That sounds like it will affect ordering tyres through Tyre Leader etc then.  :003:
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Offline Tiger T.O.

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 16 Cranberry Red XRt
  • City / Town: Loosdrecht
I had the same unpleasant surprise when I checked World of Triumph on their deal on a windscreen for my XRt
Now upon the posting charges comes the 21% VAT :004:
There are two kinds of people, those saying the glass is half full and those saying the glass is half empty. But the world really belongs to the ones that say “That’s not my glass! My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!”             Terry Pratchett  R.I.P.

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
Not so good.  However we would have been paying VAT at 20% in UK pre Brexit anyway so unless EU sellers are pocketing another 20% out of us (wouldn't surprise me) then surely there should be no difference regarding VAT?  Or am I missing something?
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline oddwriter

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Interesting. I'm in the market for a textile suit and was looking at Rukka. Maybe have to revise my thinking.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
We are being charged the same for products from the UK into Ireland, e.g. Sportsbikeshop, it is not just VAT either, it includes handling fees and import tarrifs. This is not new though, it is why we don't all buy from the USA and their madly cheap prices because the same would apply there. It will settle down in the end. If the EU/UK don't come to some sort of better agreement then UK buyers will end up getting cheaper goods external to the EU and EU buyers will no longer buy off UK suppliers. Everyone will lose out in the short term until it gets sorted or alternatives emerge. Money talks, I don't think it will be too long before there is some type of solution.

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
*Originally Posted by oddwriter [+]
Interesting. I'm in the market for a textile suit and was looking at Rukka. Maybe have to revise my thinking.

Jenks is your man. Make sure you contact him for prices.
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline JENKS

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
*Originally Posted by Chippy4467 [+]
Not so good.  However we would have been paying VAT at 20% in UK pre Brexit anyway so unless EU sellers are pocketing another 20% out of us (wouldn't surprise me) then surely there should be no difference regarding VAT?  Or am I missing something?

I'm afraid that's not quite right,   VAT in Germany is less than 20%, and you've been paying German VAT, plus there is the import duty on top. 

Offline JENKS

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
*Originally Posted by oddwriter [+]

If I can help, don't hesitate to give me a call, no pressure.    I have all the currant range, and occasionally a used suit.

Jenks

nonskid