Author Topic: Standard Alarm De-install  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: XRx Low (Sold)
  • City / Town: Billericay
Standard Alarm De-install
on: February 11, 2021, 07:08:02 PM
Mate of mine has a 2015 Gen-1 with a standard Triumph alarm, which he wants me to help him remove completely. I'm assuming its a case of tracing all the wires back from the alarm unit and either re-joining them or just taking them off those they may be cut into.

Has anyone done this before? Is it as straight forward as this or are there any hidden pitfalls that we may encounter? I'm fairly confident with electrics (hence why he has asked me to assist) but I've never de-installed an alarm before.

TIA

Offline Hax

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: '19 XRX
  • City / Town: Aberdeenshire
Re: Standard Alarm De-install
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 10:14:52 PM

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 10:41:23 PM
As HAX showed in his doc, you just unplug it and the seat removal sensor just clips out. You ideally need that shorting plug to remake the system wiring though, not sure what you do without that? The dealer on fitting is supposed to send it to the alarm manufacturer but they gave me mine.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 10:44:54 PM
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
As HAX showed in his doc, you just unplug it and the seat removal sensor just clips out. You ideally need that shorting plug to remake the system wiring though, not sure what you do without that? The dealer on fitting is supposed to send it to the alarm manufacturer but they gave me mine.

Indeed from reading the instructions, it would appear that one definitely needs that for removing said alarm, else the electrics are not connected back up. Hmm Looks like maybe one can't easily remove the alarm (which I did wonder about else it would be just too easy for thieves to disable).

Wonder if one can purchase a new shorting plug though. There seem to be two possible plugs listed T2500396 and T2500050, but which is the right one (or even the one for a Gen-1) I don't know, it may even be another part number. Think I'll have to get my mate to ring a dealer's to find out, as no doubt they will need to verify ownership before they'll sell such a part.

@XCaTel - does your shorting plug have a part number on it by any chance?
Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 11:18:09 PM by Hawkeye

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 03:41:51 PM
All sorted, mate spoke with Total Triumph today and a new (replacement) shorting wire is on the way so we can take the standard alarm off his machine (which is causing no end of hassle).

Worth noting that according to Total Triumph, you need to get the right shorting plug for your bike else the ECU is toast!

Thanks all for your help, appreciated

Offline 636mick

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: triumph explorer
  • City / Town: Daventry
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 08:04:23 PM
What sort of problems has your mate had with the alarm? I’m after a Triumph alarm for various reasons so very interested.
Cheers
Mick
Playing in the traffic on the M1.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 12:10:23 PM
*Originally Posted by 636mick [+]
What sort of problems has your mate had with the alarm? I’m after a Triumph alarm for various reasons so very interested.
Cheers
Mick

Just pm'd you Mick (and sent you an email with pictures)