Author Topic: Fork Seals Dump Fluid when Cold  (Read 4935 times)

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
Re: Fork Seals Dump Fluid when Cold
Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 10:54:38 AM
Whilst you are seeing colder weather than some it still shouldn't be leaking like this and whilst others had had leaks /seal failures as is expected, this is not really a common issue with these bikes.  Are you using Triumph seals or after market?  I ask because my DL650 was doing similar with aftermarket seats but good with Suzuki seals (for a while) although eventually had to had the tubes re-chromed & fitted new bushes.  Now 100% sorted.
I would also be checking/changing the bushes since if you have the forks apart to change the seals its not that much more work.
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline oxidefilm

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '13 Tex
  • City / Town: NYC
Reply #11 on: April 01, 2021, 02:21:32 AM
I've tried to get us yanks to use 'whilst' but so far it's been a fool's errand.

Bushes were definitely worn, but I had no patience to wait for replacements.

I use all balls seals. Again...waiting for OEM replacements is prohibitive.

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #12 on: April 01, 2021, 04:58:38 AM
*Originally Posted by oxidefilm [+]
I've tried to get us yanks to use 'whilst' but so far it's been a fool's errand.
Don't worry about it.  Us Aussies don't use it.   Normally 'while' will suffice.   :002:

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
Reply #13 on: April 03, 2021, 05:36:02 AM
My fork seals started leaking when I went to Dawson City (Yukon) a couple of years back. Nearest dealer? 4 days ride away in Anchorage. No front brake and no fork oil by the time I got there. Had to replace seals and brake pads. No fun riding a couple thousand miles with back brake only I can tell you