Author Topic: Dunlop Trailmax Mission Tires  (Read 2654 times)

Online NorthumBryan

• Explorer Pro
  • NorthumBryan
  • Bike: Tigger 1200 Alpine
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Re: Dunlop Trailmax Mission Tires
Reply #20 on: April 06, 2021, 07:05:12 PM
*Originally Posted by mike2411 [+]
Did you guys see where Dunlop is coming out the "Mutant"? I'm curious to see how that tire performs.

These are out in the UK and get some great reviews, this is the one from Fast Bikes magazine -

“So how did they feel, we hear you ask? Well, the most surprising thing for us was how quickly they warmed up and how well they behaved from the get-go when we were really pushing on; armed with a KTM 1290 SuperDuke GT, BMW S1000XR and a Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX, we did manage to get a fair lick on, and the Mutants obliged at every turn. This is because of their Dynamic Front Formula that Dunlop have gifted ’em, which essentially mean that the Mutants offer the sort of sporty handling and stability you’d expect from a much racier type of tyre, even when riding two-up and carrying luggage… which was spot on for us as Boothy had taken everything but the kitchen sink for our five-day jaunt. Even so, the Mutants provided immense feedback no matter what sort of lean we were throwing their way, with the only movement coming from when we were taking the mickey, on some incredibly toasty roads… which wasn’t at all shabby, considering the tread pattern looks deeper than the Pacific Ocean.

Mind you, we were all pretty glad we had those grooves, as we were in Scotland after all. And yes, of course it absolutely poured down on us, on more than one occasion. Thankfully Dunlop have used their state-of-the-art compounds to give some serious wet weather performance, which worked a treat – especially when we descended on some fairly sketchy roads. They actually told us that the Mutant’s tread pattern has taken elements from proper wet racing rubber, supermoto and dirt track tyres to give the best possible amounts of grippy goodness, and after a fair few miles in sodden conditions, we can confirm that they work a tread in terms of feedback and grip.

Okay, we may have only done a shade over 1000 miles on the Mutants, but even so, they didn’t look battered at all, and to be honest, as a tool for an all-weather heavy mileage job, we couldn’t have picked better rubber for the trip. From jabbing the brakes hard on the way into ever tightening corners, to going for that big lean knee down through long-sweepers they performed with more prowess than we ever expected, and from incredibly chilly early starts to piss-wet pootling through the mountains, they kept us all upright without even a hint of a complaint, in all honesty, these tyres definitely wouldn’t be the first things I’d look at when it comes to sticking on a high performance machine, but after a week of thrashing the living daylights out of ’em, we were all both surprised and convinced.

If you want a long lasting rubber for serious mileage that will look after some fast road riding and perform wonders in the wet, then you wouldn’t go wrong with a set of Mutants…”
Talking bollocks since 1965...

Offline Champy72

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Colchester
Reply #21 on: April 06, 2021, 07:20:58 PM
There seems to be a large number of UK Tyre sites that are offering the Trailmax... Demon Tweeks, Dunlop eu/gb and twotyres to name a few...

Pricing seems to be around £140/tyre?
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Offline GTEX

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: EXPLORER 1200
  • City / Town: BIRMINGHAM
Reply #22 on: April 07, 2021, 07:37:42 PM
I fitted a pair of Bridgestone A40 to my explorer and two of my mates have also fitted them, great deal at £115 delivered. Purchase them via ebay.uk ,  the seller is M&P l have done around 3000 miles on them, in all conditions.... no complaints so far

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #23 on: April 08, 2021, 10:51:26 AM
I'm not sure I have ever seen a poor tyre review by a journalist when invited to a tyre launch or when they get free tyres from the manufacturer. It is only when the next version of that tyre is released do they highlight what the issue was with the previous tyre.

Offline Xtof

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrt '19
  • City / Town: Antwerpen
Reply #24 on: April 08, 2021, 01:07:34 PM
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
I'm not sure I have ever seen a poor tyre review by a journalist when invited to a tyre launch or when they get free tyres from the manufacturer. It is only when the next version of that tyre is released do they highlight what the issue was with the previous tyre.

Absolutely true. And goes for almost every reviewed product AFAIK.
So even more reason to check this site for real user reviews. So thanks for everybody who shares willingly  :046:

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
Reply #25 on: April 08, 2021, 05:25:14 PM
Got a pair of Dunlop Trailsmart for £185 from demon tweeks which i thought was a good deal - had a thrash on my friends Explorer with those fitted and they seemed pretty good
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline flaldrider

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer Launch
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Reply #26 on: May 02, 2021, 08:47:20 PM
A new mileage update for my Dunlop tires.

Ridden 5995 miles.
Front tread depth is 7/32 inch or 5 mm.
Rear tread depth is 9/32 inch or 7 mm.

Still working well but not ridden in any rain as yet. A little clay road but mostly paved highways.
Mikie

Offline Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
Reply #27 on: May 03, 2021, 07:57:32 PM
Thanks for the updates on tire, FLALDrider, good reports.

But as I follow your updates, one fact stands out.  You've managed to ride approx 5000 miles, throughout the north FL environs in Feb, March and April without riding in the rain.

How the hell did you do that?  I didn't even know that was possible!

:038:
Dick63

Offline flaldrider

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer Launch
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Reply #28 on: May 03, 2021, 08:48:32 PM
There are two factors that are part of the equation to make that happen.

I don't believe the Weather Channel and being 73 years old, I'm just lucky with years of experience!

Mikie

Offline Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
Reply #29 on: May 04, 2021, 12:24:20 AM
So that's the secret!  Thanks, good tip.

(I am only 66, so I rely on, and value, the helpful tips and tricks I get from you senior riders.  They are MUCH appreciated!)
Dick63

nonskid