Author Topic: TSAS my take on it  (Read 1535 times)

Offline NorthumBryan

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • NorthumBryan
  • Bike: Tigger 1200 Alpine
  • City / Town: Northumberland
TSAS my take on it
on: February 22, 2021, 09:56:07 AM
I managed my first proper run out on the Tigger yesterday and was very impressed with it. I can tell I'm going to 'get on' with this bike already. One thing I did get a chance to fiddle on with yesterday was the TSAS suspension settings. I noticed that on the softest end of the spectrum the bike was very prone to running wide, OK turning in but it really wanted to go wide. However, tweaking it up to the firm end of the spectrum the bike was very eager to turn in, held a really neutral line and could be easily coaxed into taking a tighter line without upsetting the bike. I guess it's the rear preload changing the rake & trail by 'jacking up' the rear more than the front ? I also found that the bike was actually more comfortable (for me, I'm a big old hector) at the sportier end of the spectrum. Just my thoughts on a relatively short ride but on some lovely twisty roads I know well while out 'shopping'. It will be interesting to see what everyone else thinks ?
Talking bollocks since 1965...

Offline CraptainC

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Gen3 XCa
  • City / Town: Chester
Re: TSAS my take on it
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 10:44:02 AM
The suspension settings will definitely affect the way the bike handles, and turn-in is a good example of this.
I regularly change riding mode (which adjusts the TSAS as well as throttle response etc.) while riding so that I can enjoy the twisty's but also take advantage of the extra comfort on the boring bits. This is a big advantage of being able to change riding modes on the fly  :467: 

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 12:39:23 PM
*Originally Posted by NorthumBryan [+]
I managed my first proper run out on the Tigger yesterday and was very impressed with it. I can tell I'm going to 'get on' with this bike already. One thing I did get a chance to fiddle on with yesterday was the TSAS suspension settings. I noticed that on the softest end of the spectrum the bike was very prone to running wide, OK turning in but it really wanted to go wide. However, tweaking it up to the firm end of the spectrum the bike was very eager to turn in, held a really neutral line and could be easily coaxed into taking a tighter line without upsetting the bike. I guess it's the rear preload changing the rake & trail by 'jacking up' the rear more than the front ? I also found that the bike was actually more comfortable (for me, I'm a big old hector) at the sportier end of the spectrum. Just my thoughts on a relatively short ride but on some lovely twisty roads I know well while out 'shopping'. It will be interesting to see what everyone else thinks ?

No, it is not as the preload does not change with the damping settings or rider modes (apart from when you set it to off road). The bike sets the preload when the bike is stopped, and the engine is running. In other words, your bike can set the preload at the start of your journey and 300 miles later it is still at the exact same place. Should your pillion get off mid journey the bike, if it is stationery and engine running, it will readjust the preload to suit. If they leapt off the bike at 100 MPH on the motorway your preload would not change until your next stop.  :005: I know that is extreme, just trying to illustrate the point. But you are probably on the money on that rake & trail in that with softer damping it is probably sitting down more at the rear in that turn due to the bike’s forces compressing the rear more. I do love the suspension on this bike, it copes with anything. Switching to off-road mode will lower the rear preload specifically to rake the bike out to give a more stable front end on that rougher surface.

Offline NorthumBryan

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • NorthumBryan
  • Bike: Tigger 1200 Alpine
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 02:54:33 PM
Cheers for the replies chaps, it is a very interesting feature and I personally like the feel one notch off the maximum at the sporty side. It feels very composed over undulations and it really hides it's weight very well. I have to be honest and I'm not finding it that heavy ? I'll change my mind no doubt when my foot slips on gravel or something but it seems no heavier than my former Supertenere 1200 ? Really looking forward to knocking some miles onto the bike now though.
Talking bollocks since 1965...

Offline Bruce Wayne

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Winterswijk
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 03:17:28 PM
*Originally Posted by CraptainC [+]
The suspension settings will definitely affect the way the bike handles, and turn-in is a good example of this.
I regularly change riding mode (which adjusts the TSAS as well as throttle response etc.) while riding so that I can enjoy the twisty's but also take advantage of the extra comfort on the boring bits. This is a big advantage of being able to change riding modes on the fly  :467:

But keep in mind, not all modes are on the fly :467:

Offline CraptainC

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Gen3 XCa
  • City / Town: Chester
Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 03:23:01 PM
*Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne [+]
But keep in mind, not all modes are on the fly :467:

Yes, thought that as I was typing but didn't want to confuse things further  :467:

Offline AndreG

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRt 2018
  • City / Town: Saline, MI
Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 06:26:40 PM
So I just got my new Tiger XRt, but I am a heavy rider, 300 Lbs/ 140 Kg.  On my Ducati XDiavel I was able to replace the spring with one for my weight (275+ lbs). Is there something available for the Tiger? I felt the rear suspesion was too soft even on sport mode. Thank you!

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 06:58:49 PM
*Originally Posted by AndreG [+]
So I just got my new Tiger XRt, but I am a heavy rider, 300 Lbs/ 140 Kg.  On my Ducati XDiavel I was able to replace the spring with one for my weight (275+ lbs). Is there something available for the Tiger? I felt the rear suspesion was too soft even on sport mode. Thank you!
I stand to be corrected but I don't think anyone has managed a spring rate change on the TSAS equipped bikes. It is probably because the preload adjustment would end up being totally out of wack. The swingarm position sensor measures the loaded bike an automatically adds preload as required. The bike is one of the best on the market for max load capacity (XRT=228kg) but we do know that the TSAS preload adjustment runs out before reaching that full 228kg, at what loading we don't actually know though.

I have ridden this bike two up with approximately 280Kg load  :005: and it ate it up. I did have the damping full over in the so called "sport" setting and it was really composed over twisty country backroads of Devon, Cornwall and Somerset. Come the Motorway I was able to drop it back a notch for added smoothness as the surface was so good. Now, I had a pillion so I wasn't riding like mad max but I was totally unconcerned about the bikes composure. I was a little raked out of course but it didn't make the bike hard to handle. Had I been doing a round the world trip for a year with that load I might of dropped the forks 10mm to shorten my trail a little.

Instead of looking to the spring what about investigation the damping? I'm putting a finger in the air here and suggesting you might investigate whether you can get the shock recharged with a slightly heavier oil, same with the forks. That gets you past any preload/spring issues and the damping is just electrically adjustable, there is nothing "semi-active" about it (one stupid exception) so a slightly heavier oil may do what you need? I would want a first class suspension provider to do that for me though, lots to make a balls of here. The non TSAS equipped model, the XR is the one for custom spring rates which would be a simple and cheap swap. Sorry, not really the answer, 275 lbs wouldn't worry me on this bike if you didn't have a pillion.

Make sure you go into the bike setup and disassociate damping from rider modes. That way you can independently set damping to the very max regardless of what rider mode you are using and it will stay there.
Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 07:00:55 PM by XCaTel

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Reply #8 on: June 24, 2021, 09:36:53 AM
FWIW, I always found Triumphs to behave on their own fashion for turning in.
Took me a couple of thousands km to discover that my dear old '97 Steamer could turn in fast and sharp if and only if I kept it on a small amount of throttle.
Since then, I made the same test with my successive Tigers ('08 1050, '12 1200, '14 1200, '18 1200) and always experienced this same particularity (that didn't exist with Mrs NiK's former '87 VFR).

So every time I feel the bike resisting turn in, I call a little bit of throttle and it just feels like magic.

And the TSAS didn't seem to affect this topic.

Disclaimer: I'm nothing short of sluggish, so the above might not work with you all peg scrappers (c;

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 10:06:25 AM
I've dropped the yokes down the forks by 5mm on my XRT and it certainly helps the turn in / tendency to run wide with no apparent impact on TSAS
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

nonskid