Author Topic: Rear brake travel after sitting for the winter  (Read 1328 times)

Offline pwraight

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 Xca
Rear brake travel after sitting for the winter
on: March 03, 2021, 12:26:37 AM
Hello fellow riders...purchased a 2019 Tiger 1200 XCa last summer and noticed today while mucking around in the garage with it (dreaming of disappearing snow and twisty roads) that there is a lot of travel in the rear brake.  It does eventually engage however travels too far to get to that point.  No leaks and fluid is about 1/2 way between add and fill lines.  See on another forum someone suggested zip tying overnight in the down position and that can sometimes fix this.  Curious if anyone had a similar issue, full disclosure I am not very mechanically inclined, but learning as I go (thanks to good natured folks on forums and youtube). Cheers!

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Re: Rear brake travel after sitting for the winter
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 02:20:06 AM
I'll be interested to see any hints that turn up here.
Even with new pads, the brake pedal on my 2018 gen3 travels further than I'd like.  I've screwed the adjustment as far as it will go.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 01:10:58 PM
This gets mentioned a few times on the forum and it seems common, I have experienced it too. For the cost of 250ml bottle of DOT-4 brake fluid it is easy to bleed through some fresh fluid and firm it up a little. Just purchase a cheap one way brake bleeder tube to make it easy and flush the whole bottle through. You can be done start to finish in ten minutes.

You could also find your caliper pistons have come out and jammed out a little giving you too much slack. See if you can see your pads/pistons moving in/out when you operate the pedal.

Offline pwraight

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 Xca
Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 01:50:49 PM
Thanks for the reply, will see if I can do just as you suggested.

Offline Catman88

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA 2019
  • City / Town: Central California
Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 05:35:12 AM
I just pulled my bike out of the garage from it sitting all winter and I have the same issue, no rear brakes and the fluid is the same as you mentioned. 

Offline bloodboy

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX Low
  • City / Town: SE Kent
Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 09:36:33 AM
Had the same issue on my 2018 XRx, changed the brake fluid and it is now much improved.
Life is too short for plain biscuits.

Offline Catman88

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA 2019
  • City / Town: Central California
Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 02:43:02 PM
My bike is two years old and only 1500 miles, I just bled the rear brakes and I could not believe how much air bubbles were in the system, now I have the pedal back and rear brakes.  Is this common to get air in the brake system,  i'm assuming maybe because a motorcycle can be dropped and introducing air into the system.

Offline deadug

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 1200XCA
Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 01:46:00 PM
Same exact issue here on 2018 xca! not sure why they get air into them but they do

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 10:02:37 AM
Thought I'd add to the collected knowledge here...
For a long time I've had far too much travel in my rear brake pedal, even on tightest setting.
Just had the 48000km service done on my 2018 Tiger XRt.  I mentioned the problem to my service guy when I took the bike to him.
He bled the rear brake line.
All fixed.  Sharp as, now.

No Idea why I had air in the line.  Bike hasn't suffered any trauma at all.  Sleeps comfortably in my garage.  Gets ridden regularly.

Offline Champy72

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Colchester
Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 10:19:56 AM
I believe Triumph suggest that the brake fluid and coolant are changed every 2 years? I do know that brake fluid can get condensation in the master cylinders which will seriously affect the braking performance.

You should never shake a brake fluid bottle - ever - or keep it in your garage once opened for more than 6 months. Both will cause condensation build up in the fluid!!!

My 2p worth...
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

nonskid