Author Topic: new tiger 1200 with some problems ...  (Read 6022 times)

Offline Johnnieblack

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 xcx 2019
  • City / Town: ΑΘΗΝΑ
new tiger 1200 with some problems ...
on: March 09, 2021, 08:36:21 AM
Hi , i have 5 months now a brand new tiger 1200 xcx 2019 which my local triumph dealer came in a good offer so i couldn't resist and took it . The bike was perfect since i had some micro problems which are causing me headache . First of all ive been troubling to find a solution with several messages as "key fob out of range '' and '' key fob battery low '' i know that some signal of smartphones or intercom may interfere , ive changed 3 times the battery but it doesnt like to come off .... dealer says its normal and some bikes pop up this message several times . Another thing is that in speeds between 60-90 the handlebars wobble a  little bit but only on those speeds and it dissapears when i pass those limits , no hands in other speads the bike is behaving-turning slightly right side but not too much . Also i am hearing a rattling sound - buzzing from the front right wing fairing thats near the headlight right upper the tank , which is driving me crazy while i accelerating beetween 5k rpms ... So those were some minor problems which i havent found solution yet . Yesterday i found some coolant liquid leak and when i drove to my dealer i spotted that the liquid from the white tank on the left side was beneath min and near the oil filter was some evidence of leak which the dealer told me couldn't find the source but admitted there was something wrong and if it evovle worst i should reviseted him to find out ... I am on the edge on  regreting my choice on tiger.. :187: :187: thanks in advance  :006: :006:

Offline CraptainC

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Gen3 XCa
  • City / Town: Chester
Re: new tiger 1200 with some problems ...
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 10:35:14 AM
*Originally Posted by Johnnieblack [+]
speeds between 60-90 the handlebars wobble a  little bit but only on those speeds and it dissapears when i pass those limits , no hands in other speads the bike is behaving-turning slightly right side but not too much .

As its a new bike and therefore unlikely to have suffered from bearing wear, I wonder if this is wheel balance issue  :187: I recall reading somewhere that depending on speed at time of wobble, the front or rear wheel balance could be at fault. Maybe worth asking the dealer to check in case a balancing weight has fallen off! 

Cheers
CC

Offline Johnnieblack

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 11:17:08 AM
thank you for your reply , dealer said that maybe the metzeler tourance tyres are fault from the factory and i should do 1000 km and then recheck it . Now , ve done 4 thousand km since the day i bought it , nothing changed . im getting really tired to bother them again and again ...

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 02:33:26 PM
Key fob out of range is very common, not just on the Tigers but with other Triumphs too. The range is very short, like 1m with a perfect battery. Keep the key in your lower left pocket which is closest to the sensor on the bike, you should get rid of those messages. Replace the battery in the keyfob with a good branded battery for a little extra life, there is some right old crap out there. When you are not using the bike de-activate the keyfob by holding the Triumph logo for a few seconds until you see a red glow to signify it is deactivated. Reactivate is just the reverse and the logo will show a green light for a second. The alternative is to ride without the wireless fob and use the spare key. Hold it to the sensor (position shown in your manual) and you can start the dash and the bike. Because the bike started without a wireless key you won't get the fob out of range messages.

Handlebar wobble is not normal, check tyre pressure and get the front wheel balanced at a tyre place rather than the dealer, it is possible that a weight fell off.

It is easy to remove the tank plastics and re-seat it, that sounds like a bit of loose trim somewhere, I have had that before. If it is a more steady roaring sound from the front it is likely to be the Metzeler tyres, very noisy, well documented on this forum.

The coolant level on this bike likes to be at the very lowest mark, if you top it off higher it tends to just spit it back out and settle at the lower mark again.

Offline Johnnieblack

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 04:31:15 PM
Thanks for your reply ! The thing is that its not the plastics on the tank . Its the part - the nose of the bike that goes above the tank on the right side . Where the colored part is connected with the transparent part like wings . i hope i gave u understand what i mean ... that is rattling . As for the coolant , i got it filled to the max pointed by the dealer . didnt tell me that . As for the leak near the oil filter i spotted it started from the connection between gear box and engine ... really frustrating experience ...

Offline CraptainC

• Explorer Pro
Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 04:53:06 PM
*Originally Posted by Johnnieblack [+]
thank you for your reply , dealer said that maybe the metzeler tourance tyres are fault from the factory and i should do 1000 km and then recheck it . Now , ve done 4 thousand km since the day i bought it , nothing changed . im getting really tired to bother them again and again ...
Might be worth getting a local tire fitter to put the wheels on their balancing computer / machine and check them for you... then if there is a problem you can take this info and beat the dealer over the head with it  :087:

Offline CraptainC

• Explorer Pro
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 04:56:17 PM
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
Key fob out of range is very common, not just on the Tigers but with other Triumphs too. The range is very short, like 1m with a perfect battery. Keep the key in your lower left pocket which is closest to the sensor on the bike, you should get rid of those messages.

I have a similar problem when I keep the fob in my right hand or breast pocket - lower left jacket pocket normally ok for me, and still using original battery which is 2 years old  :028:

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 04:56:31 PM
OK, sounds like you might have to have a little play. Temporarily wedge a soft piece of wood between the clear deflector and the coloured plastic piece to see if it mutes that noise. If it does you might be able to remove it or at least slacken off that lower bolt and wedge a little bit of dense foam down in there out of view. As for the leak between the engine and the gearbox - that is not a specifically a widely known "problem" and you would want the dealer to follow that up with whoever the importer into your region is as a warranty issue.

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 05:05:57 PM
Hi Johnnie. You should have your front wheel checked to see how true it is. There have been a number of issues with front wheel wobble where the wheel needed the spokes torqued in order to make it true. Another thing you might check when you have someone check the balance on your front tire is that the bead is fully seated on the rim. It's possible to get a wobble from any tire that is not fully seated. You can see if the bead is seated around the entire rim just by deflating the tire & inspecting both sides of the tire around the entire wheel. on the rim. It's pretty simple to deflate the tire, break the bead from the rim, lubricate it, & reseat it.

Another big possibility for the shake is a faulty tire. Metzler tires don't have a very good track record for quality. I've never understood why Triumph continues to use them on their new bikes. I personally will never buy another Metzler. :015:
Jon

Offline Johnnieblack

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 02:45:12 PM
First 500 km the bike had an accident that bented the front rim . only that . Rim was replaced with a brand new one with tyre and whole bike was checked but the dealer blamed the front tire that came faulty from factory . no need to check if rims are true . Now i have a brand new metzeler tourance next on front and one same tyre on back rim from 2019 . I dont know if it is cupping or not or it may be the main issue . The one thing that is bothering me is the leak next to the oil filter where gear box is connected with the engine . This bike is really making me to have trust issues and i bought it for big trips ... :/