Author Topic: new tiger 1200 with some problems ...  (Read 6023 times)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: new tiger 1200 with some problems ...
Reply #30 on: March 14, 2021, 12:02:34 PM
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
My favorite misspelling in vehicle forums is 'breaks' instead of 'brakes'. I've also been been scolded once or twice for having 'tires' on my bike rather than 'tyres', though not seriously. I think that the first casualty of the great pandemic of 2019 was our collective sense of humour :038:
But oddly I think Tires was the original English spelling, I'm sure I read  that somewhere?

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #31 on: March 14, 2021, 04:08:52 PM
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
But oddly I think Tires was the original English spelling, I'm sure I read  that somewhere?
One theory is that the English spelling of tyre comes from the old word attyre meaning dressings. Rubber was added as a dressing to wooden wheels for comfort and durability. Tyre remains a distinct word from tire which means "to grow weary".
Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 04:14:40 PM by CaptainTrips
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Captain Tom

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 Alpine
  • City / Town: Norfolk
Reply #32 on: March 14, 2021, 05:54:56 PM
Is 2019 a typo? Or am I missing something? 🤔 maybe my i pad’s got a virus!

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #33 on: March 14, 2021, 08:33:34 PM
*Originally Posted by Captain Tom [+]
Is 2019 a typo? Or am I missing something? 🤔 maybe my i pad’s got a virus!
Maybe your iPad has a 2021 virus.  :)  Or your fingers?  Or your br.... -no, can't say it.
Yes, we regard the current coronavirus pandemic as having started in 2019.  Which I think is why it's called COVID19.

A big apology to the OP for this thread having gone off the rails.  All my fault.  -But hey, it's what makes some threads so interesting.

Offline Captain Tom

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 Alpine
  • City / Town: Norfolk
Reply #34 on: March 14, 2021, 08:38:09 PM
Haha thanks KenW 🤯 everything’s been a bit blurred since I got the Tiger, I blame the mirrors 😁

Offline UKtart

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2019 1200 Tiger
  • City / Town: Puyallup, WA
Reply #35 on: June 21, 2021, 05:08:02 AM
I have noticed the warning about the key fob. As mentioned to the dealer, they said it is a common problem. But you can reset the warning buy pressing the lower left toggle switch. It doesn't happen to me much anymore now that I can reset it. Just saying....

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #36 on: June 21, 2021, 07:02:25 AM
I've come to accept the keyfob warning as a bug, along with a few other minor ones that don't stop the bike.  (Fuel usage average sometimes starts very high, cruise control has a few funnies.)
It shouldn't be the deciding factor in whether someone buys a Tiger or not.

Let's be real about it.  Apart from serious issues with the ECU like NiK and a couple of others have had, the T1200 is no worse than a lot of other bikes out there.
There are horror stories about them all.

This forum serves us well in alerting us on things to watch out for, what to do about them, and things that have gone badly wrong for some.
I'm approaching 50kkm on my T1200 XRt with bugger all to complain about.  (Mostly sealed roads and long rides, no salt, no ice.)

Offline jannerman

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Plymouth
Reply #37 on: June 21, 2021, 09:34:47 AM
 :464:

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #38 on: June 22, 2021, 04:49:51 PM
*Originally Posted by KenW [+]
I've come to accept the keyfob warning as a bug, along with a few other minor ones that don't stop the bike.  (Fuel usage average sometimes starts very high, cruise control has a few funnies.)
It shouldn't be the deciding factor in whether someone buys a Tiger or not.

Let's be real about it.  Apart from serious issues with the ECU like NiK and a couple of others have had, the T1200 is no worse than a lot of other bikes out there.
There are horror stories about them all.

This forum serves us well in alerting us on things to watch out for, what to do about them, and things that have gone badly wrong for some.
I'm approaching 50kkm on my T1200 XRt with bugger all to complain about.  (Mostly sealed roads and long rides, no salt, no ice.)
Well, here is the problem with that. Both the out of range and low battery warnings have a real purpose. I don't know how the Triumph system works, but if you leave the fob behind on some bikes, they will run until you shut them off, maybe at the next fuel stop. Then what?  What if the battery really is dying or dead? I guess you have to carry the key and you can use it on the side sensor, but I personally hate having any kind of warning on the dash and I really would not want to be in the habit of ignoring it.

And then there is resale. I seldom trade a bike on another one. I almost always sell my bikes privately. Imagine trying to explain to a prospective buyer to just ignore that warning message.
Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 04:59:34 PM by CaptainTrips
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Evanrc

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Reply #39 on: June 24, 2021, 12:11:54 AM
When I got my Tiger initially I used to get the out of range warning regularly, and cleared it with the function toggle switch. 

Seeing these comments I realise that I haven't seen the warning for some months now.  I don't carry the key in any way differently from the past.