Author Topic: UPDATED SIDE STAND BOLT FAILED SAFETY WARNING  (Read 4123 times)

Offline GTEX

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: EXPLORER 1200
  • City / Town: BIRMINGHAM
Re: UPDATED SIDE STAND BOLT FAILED SAFETY WARNING
Reply #40 on: June 06, 2021, 06:56:46 AM
*Originally Posted by KenW [+]
Have I said it before?
Were the bikes with busted sidestands exposed to salt on the roads?

It's probably that my sidestand on each bike, TEx 50kkm, Tiger1200 48kkm, have never been removed and greased.
No problems with them.  (No salt on my roads.)
But I don't use the footpeg to mount the bike while on the sidestand either.
(My standard method of 'lubricating' bits is a quick spray of WD40 or CRC556.)

According to triumph you method of lube is not sufficient,  if the bolt was to fail triumph will blame you lol

Offline GTEX

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: EXPLORER 1200
  • City / Town: BIRMINGHAM
Reply #41 on: June 06, 2021, 07:00:36 AM
*Originally Posted by Chippy4467 [+]
Unfortunately they are correct - second page of service check sheet under "General" states "Side stand pivot pin - clean/grease" at 10,000, 20,000 and 40,000 mile intervals.  (I have a copy of my 10,000 mile service check sheet in front of me - applicable to all models not just Explorer/1200).  Mine has been ticked and sheet signed off - guess doesn't mean bolt came out to do it tho'

I'd be just as interested to know if the broken sidestand was cause or effect - if it had been cracked before the failure then it could have been putting additional stress on the bolt.

Its the bolts that fail, once the bolt has failed the sidestand will collapse as it has no strength

Offline Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
Reply #42 on: June 09, 2021, 12:12:51 PM
I am in the midst of a tire and brake change, I figured I might as well check the side stand too.  I THINK this is the second time I have removed the stand and checked this bolt, this thread was my motivation both times.

I thought getting spring off the leg was going to be the hardest part of the job, but I was wrong.  Cleaning off the old gunk was worse.  Brake cleaner and a brass brush were necessary in the end.  With all the crap off, the bolt, nut, and stand leg leg all seemed in good shape.  I looked for signs of a crack in all with a good light and magnifying glass, I couldn't find anything.

I coated all the threads, on the screw, in the leg, and in the nut with "penetrating lithium grease" and covered the pin and bearing surfaces with BelRay waterproof grease.  Torqued to spec on reassembly. 

I can't really tell a difference before/after.  It MIGHT move a bit more smoothly, but I don't usually work that lever with my hands, you know?  My feeling through a moto-boot isn't that sensitive. 

What does concern me is the "slop".  I feel like there is a lot of motion of the bike as it leans on the stand.  It doesn'tt worse than it was, but I don't remember any other bike I've owned "wobbling" on it's side stand the way this one does.  I feel like it needs a small shim in assembly, and I fear a failure from "levering" the head or the nut off.
Dick63

Offline Speed_Racer

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '13 Exp./'08 St3
  • City / Town: Utah, USA
Reply #43 on: June 09, 2021, 04:51:25 PM
Haha because of this post I also checked both of my Triumph kickstands this weekend. Both looked fine, if a little dry. I slapped some fresh blue grease on each and they should be good for the rest of the season.
'13 TEx, '08 Street Triple, '82 XL500R

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
Reply #44 on: June 09, 2021, 07:24:18 PM
I ground down a stainless steel washer to shim my side stand a couple of years ago. There isn't much tolerance. If I recall correctly it ended up being about .015 thick... In this pic you can barely make out the shim between the bracket & the lower (thick side) of the side stand.

Jon

Offline Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
Reply #45 on: June 09, 2021, 11:08:37 PM
Thanks Jon.  I've thought about that, but I don't have a grinder.  In my case, it would be more like "whetstone down" a shim of the appropriate thickness.  And I even though I am retired now, I don't have THAT much time on my hands. 
Dick63

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #46 on: June 10, 2021, 08:54:46 AM
*Originally Posted by Dick63 [+]
Thanks Jon.  I've thought about that, but I don't have a grinder.  In my case, it would be more like "whetstone down" a shim of the appropriate thickness.  And I even though I am retired now, I don't have THAT much time on my hands.

I found an engineering supply company that sells shim material so I can make a washer/spacer. I'm hoping making one will be quicker than time with a file and/or whetstone!