Author Topic: Leaking from fork seal. Going to keep riding!  (Read 671 times)

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: RTW
Re: Leaking from fork seal. Going to keep riding!
Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 01:10:15 AM
99% of the time it just needs a clean. I cant count the number of time I have done it. Even when it has been dripping out and forming puddles on the ground it has never been a blown seal.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 08:45:52 AM
 :0461:  It is easy to try to prevent this too, Just drop the exterior dust seal two or three times a year and give it a good clean inside, you would wonder where all the crud comes from but it does get past that dust seal. It only takes 5 minutes but could save you a load of grief on the road.

Offline CraptainC

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Gen3 XCa
  • City / Town: Chester
Reply #12 on: April 07, 2021, 01:39:18 PM
I've not had a problem (yet) with the Tex fork seals, but do recall having to change them a couple of times on my previous bike (FJR1300) as failed MOT twice because of oil smears on stanchions.
I was told that one of the problems was laying the bike up over winter, and the rubber going a little hard due to lack of self lubrication through use and doesn't seal so well.

The mechanical suggested periodic lubrication if the bike is going to be left for an extended time to keep the rubber supple ...... or to stop being a pussy & ride all year round  :008: