Author Topic: Cam Tensioner  (Read 946 times)

Offline pwraight

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 Xca
Cam Tensioner
on: April 08, 2021, 12:39:48 AM
G’day everyone, looking for some advice.  After a long winter in storage my 2019 XCA didn’t have rear brakes.  Off to dealers as I have just about zero mechanical skills.  Asked them to do an oil change while they had it, approx 5,800 kms on the  clock and had it for less than a year. 

Bleeding of the brakes not covered under warranty, told me it’s regular maintenance. Ok, if they say so. When I arrived at dealers to pick it up (2.5 hrs away) they gave me the keys and said good to go.  Started it up to go home and loud ticking noise from the front, so loud my wife could hear it 60ft away.  Asked service manager to give it a listen, didn’t sound right.  He took it into shop and brought back 15 mins later.

Told me he had 2 mechanics trouble shoot it and they agreed that needs new cam tensioner belt (??).  Greek to me, said he will find out if covered under warranty and let me know. I asked if it was dangerous to ride or if it could do further damage to the bike, advised not at all, fine to ride and he will get back to me re warranty and when they could book me in - prob a month or so out. 

Speaking to a friend afterwards he said he wouldn’t even ride it now as he would be afraid of causing more damage to the motor. Now I am a bit worried.... all advice appreciated!

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: RTW
Re: Cam Tensioner
Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 01:20:41 AM
There is no such thing. The tensioner is a hydraulic system that operates on engine oil pressure no "belts" involved. They are noisy engines and I would not hesitate to ride it a while and more than likely the noise will go away. Mine sounded like a bag of rocks in a tin can most of the time.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 01:47:47 AM
At 5800 kms on the clock the bike has not even had its first major service. If the bike was not making this noise when you brought it in, then ask the dealer what they did to it. Did they check the valves? Did they remove the cam chain tensioner and put it back incorrectly? Their explanation sounds like BS.

Don't ride it.
Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 01:49:24 AM by CaptainTrips
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline pwraight

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 02:32:05 AM
I would have thought that a mechanic would have fired up the bike after completion of the oil change and recognized something didn’t sound right vs me having to bring it to their attention.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 10:21:09 AM
I am not convinced at that explanation, they have done something here that they shouldn't of. It could be something as simple as a poor grade oil or something more sinister that the technician tried and made a balls up off. This service should of been the most basic oil and filter change and a check over the rest, there is no need for any other maintenence at that mileage. I would not be happy at all.

Offline arbs766

• Explorer Junior
  • Shaft all the way!
  • Bike: Explorer 1215 XC
  • City / Town: Cynwyd
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 12:01:05 PM
The can chain tensioner is oil pressure set, so if it has just had an oil change it may just need running up fully until the oil pressure is and oil feed has completed the circuit.  The oil pushes the tensioner plate against the chain to tension it.  The bike when on the side stand leans away from the tensioner side, so the oil runs out of the tensioner. there is also a spring inside with the oil feed, as this ages, it weakens, you will find over time when starting cold you will here a rattle for a min until the oil pressure has built up.  The rattle is loud as it is metal on metal, until the oil feed has supplied the oil.  I have had 3 explorers now, and have changed the spring every 20k miles.  You said it has had an oil change, it may have just been low oil, as in it was refilled and not run up, resettled and then put to the correct level, this would also cause the same problem.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 01:10:40 PM
As arb766 mentions. If this was just a temporary rattle on start-up this is very common, my 2018 has done it for ages. I was under the impression this was a permanent rattle you were describing.

Offline pwraight

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 02:08:59 PM
Thanks for all the comments gents, indeed it appears to be a permanent rattle.   Ride home was about 3 hrs and it does not appear to have subsided at all. 

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 04:56:09 PM
*Originally Posted by pwraight [+]
Thanks for all the comments gents, indeed it appears to be a permanent rattle.   Ride home was about 3 hrs and it does not appear to have subsided at all.

That is not right then, I can't imagine what they have done. Looks like they are going to try and fleece Triumph for a warranty claim in that case. If the bike went in fine and came out like that it is something they have done.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 05:15:32 PM
The tensioner has a spring/ratchet system. The spring pushes the rachet piston forward but the ratchet prevents the plunger from backing out (within limits). The oil pressure provides the actual tensioning while the engine is running. The rachet limits chain thrashing when the engine starts cold.

Excessive noise from the cam chain could be the chain thrashing (too loose) or it could be too tight. There is a procedure for resetting the tensioner when it has been removed. If you don't do this, the ratchet can hold the tensioner piston too far out. This is also bad.

Chain thrashing could be low oil pressure. Have you checked the oil level? You would not be the first to ride out of a dealership with too much, or not enough, or no oil in the bike after a service. Simple oil changes are usually done by the most junior of people in a shop. Screwups are common.
Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 05:18:27 PM by CaptainTrips
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

nonskid