Author Topic: UK - Spare dumb key and discount code.  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Hax

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '19 XRX
  • City / Town: Aberdeenshire
UK - Spare dumb key and discount code.
on: April 10, 2021, 10:05:19 AM
So I find the brick of the transponder/flip key a pain to dig out my pocket when going for petrol or unlocking the seat so after reading this thread I ordered a spare dumb key (not coded):

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,20075.msg232286.html#msg232286

Key ordered from here: https://www.key2code.co.uk/store/p1497/Triumph_Motorcycle__0001_-_3001__keys_cut_to_code_.html#/

Great service and arrived after a couple of days and as you'd expect works great. I have a lanyard with my topbox key anyway so now have this on there as well hanging round my neck (yes it's got a weak link in it  :034:).
I could have just done the same with a spare Triumph coded key but this will be no great loss if it goes missing, dropped etc. The brick key on a lanyard was just uncomfortable.

Anyway, 10% discount code of the £14.99 cost using this code: K2CKEYS
No affiliation to them but just a good service :821:

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: UK - Spare dumb key and discount code.
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 03:13:49 PM
 :464: These keys are a good idea, especially if you have the top box/panniers which can have quite stiff locks. I regularly travel with my non-wireless key if I am using my luggage.

Offline Catman88

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA 2019
  • City / Town: Central California
Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 04:26:10 AM
I have one key fob and then a spare that has a chip in it.  I thought I read somewhere that says don't carry both of those keys together because they will conflict with each other.   Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if true is that another reason to get a spare that doesn't have a chip in it,  so you can carry two keys.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 01:14:48 PM
*Originally Posted by Catman88 [+]
I have one key fob and then a spare that has a chip in it.  I thought I read somewhere that says don't carry both of those keys together because they will conflict with each other.   Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if true is that another reason to get a spare that doesn't have a chip in it,  so you can carry two keys.

There is a note in the manual, it talks of the ignition switch immobilizer in this respect but the spare keys have zero range so you would have to be physically trying to use it while the wireless key fob is also in range so I wouldn't worry about it at all.

"A transponder is fitted within the key to turn off the engine immobiliser. Only have one of the ignition keys near the ignition switch. Having two ignition keys near the switch may interrupt the
signal between the transponder and the engine immobiliser. In this situation the engine immobiliser will remain active until one of the ignition keys is removed".

Offline Bruce Wayne

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Winterswijk
Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 01:38:50 PM
I have the spare key, when I go for a longer trip, in my tankbag. Never had an issue with starting the bike.

Offline Catman88

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA 2019
  • City / Town: Central California
Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 08:06:42 PM
 Thanks for answering my question, that does makes sense because you need to hold the spare keys right next to the immobilizer to make them work.  Thanks op for this thread and info, I will order some spare keys, just don't loose all three of the chipped keys right :012:

XCA model
Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 08:10:05 PM by Catman88

Offline knuttt

• Explorer Pro
  • Mad, bad and dangerous to know - I wish! :)
  • Bike: TEX - '15 Plate
  • City / Town: Sutton Coldfield
Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 04:14:55 PM
Thanks for posting this, I finally got round to ordering one on Friday and it arrived on Saturday, fantastic company.

Andy
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Arnold 'ACE' Rimmer

Offline Simmo

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 1200 XRT White
  • City / Town: Reading
Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 09:54:32 AM
Hi All

Must stop reading this forum - it costs me money!

I wasnt going to buy a 'dumb' key but a rideout on Friday changed my mind - and then I went and ordered 2! Ordered them from Key2Code at 9pm last night and they have been cut and posted by 9am the next morning. Fantastic service.

Then I went a step further - my old GIVI luggage requires 2 keys so I ordered a set of 3 new lock barrels all keyed alike.

Simmo
2019 Tiger 1200 XRT in White fitted with TPMS, Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, and Givi Trekker Outback 58L Top Box.

Offline knuttt

• Explorer Pro
  • Mad, bad and dangerous to know - I wish! :)
  • Bike: TEX - '15 Plate
  • City / Town: Sutton Coldfield
Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 12:04:27 PM
*Originally Posted by Simmo [+]
Hi All

Must stop reading this forum - it costs me money!

I wasnt going to buy a 'dumb' key but a rideout on Friday changed my mind - and then I went and ordered 2! Ordered them from Key2Code at 9pm last night and they have been cut and posted by 9am the next morning. Fantastic service.

Then I went a step further - my old GIVI luggage requires 2 keys so I ordered a set of 3 new lock barrels all keyed alike.

Simmo

I went a step further too, ordered Triumph latches for my Givi top boxes and an extra barrel (I have one spare barrel that came with the bike). Why Triumph changed the barrel design is pure greed but can’t be helped.

This way all my boxes and side panniers will take the same bike key - fingers crossed anyway!

Andy
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Arnold 'ACE' Rimmer

nonskid