Author Topic: Calling Ireland  (Read 1376 times)

Offline mcchoc

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Goole
Calling Ireland
on: April 12, 2021, 11:30:18 AM
Hi.  Back in 2000, I had a great holiday in the ROI, beginning near Dublin and touring to Cork and then up the west coast to Galway.  The only problem was the state of the roads, which did more damage to the suspension on my then-girlfriend's VW Polo than years of normal driving. 

I have three friends in the USA ( two Canadians and one Aussie) who are going to the TT next year (2022) but would like to spend around ten days touring Ireland beforehand, and I'd like to meet up with them there but can't justify the costs of the TT myself - we have Scarborough's Oliver's Mount nearby, so I've experienced that level of lunacy close hand.  I'll be on my 1200 XRx Tiger so am not too concerned about the road conditions, but they are probably wanting to hire sports bikes.  And my Aussie pal may be buying my BMW K1300 Motorsport off me to tour Ireland, do the TT and then take it back home to Anchorage. 

So my question is this - have the roads in Ireland improved over the last twenty one years, or have they disintegrated and deteriorated even further?  I seem to remember pot holes that could swallow an Irish wolfhound, and deep ripples even on major roads caused by the roots of nearby trees, so severe that they could knock your fillings out.  Any advice and route suggestions much appreciated. Thanks,  David Mc.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Calling Ireland
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 01:09:17 PM
Roads have massively improved in the 25 years since I moved here. Although an Adventure Bike is still the best bike to tackle the WAW it is not a prerequisite. However, a full on sports bike will be totally wasted in the West of Ireland.
Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 01:11:04 PM by XCaTel

Offline NorthumBryan

• Explorer Pro
  • NorthumBryan
  • Bike: Tigger 1200 Alpine
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 07:21:15 PM
 :464:

I did a good chunk of the wild Atlantic way a couple of years ago and the roads were pretty good. A sportsbike would be at the very bottom of my list as a choice of bike to do it on however. A naked, or even a cruiser would be OK but an adventure bike ticks all the boxes. A sportsbike is going to be almost always out of it's best operating zone and will be a source of frustration. There are not a lot of long straights and there are some very tight, twisty sections punctuated by villages. It's making my wrists ache at the thought of doing on an R1 or the like...
Talking bollocks since 1965...

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 10:17:50 AM
You should also consider flying into Belfast and hiring bikes there and doing the coast of Northern Ireland, The Mourne Coastal Route is excellent and when finished it leads you into the ruggedness of Donegal. You can ride up quiet roads to Malin Head, Ireland's most Northerly point. There is nothing there to speak of but you can park up, use the local jacks and look out into the sea.

The Donegal section of the WAW is fantastically rugged and the route gets more populated as you drive south. There are lots of little signposted off-shoots to the WAW, usually a mile or two and it is worth detouring down those to see what is there, it might just be a lookout point or a harbour or a beach or something.

If I was to say avoid any point on the coast it would be South Claire and very North part of Kerry (the Counties) as it can be quite boring on those parts. If you are carrying on into Kerry and especially the ring of Kerry then plan to blitz through South Claire and North Kerry as fast you can. Take the little ferries to avoid a long run to Limerick and back. Stop over in the larger town of Killarney and set yourself up for the Ring of Kerry the next day. The coast round County Cork is very good too but the classic rugged WAW type road peters out at Cork City really.

Offline mcchoc

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Goole
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 06:51:42 PM
Just wanted to say a quick Thank You to all who have posted - very much appreciated.