Author Topic: (discard the fixings) bleeding the clutch  (Read 5481 times)

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
Re: (discard the fixings) bleeding the clutch
Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 05:31:00 PM
Those last two have an FT torque setting for most mortals  - as you need a loooooong bar to get that sort of leverage - on a  Laverda the clutch one is called the Jesus nut   
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline Catman88

• Ex Member
  • Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA 2019
  • City / Town: Central California
Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 06:13:21 PM
I'm bleeding my hydraulic clutch today and when removing the five fixing they are hard to turn all the way out and do have a white paste like thread locker on them, I really don't want to use red or blue thread lock on these bolt, does anyone know what brand of thread lock is similar to what's in the picture, the thread lock obviously retains the bolt but does not get hard.

Offline Catman88

• Ex Member
  • Explorer Member
  • Topic Author

Offline electroken

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2015 TEX
  • City / Town: Shelton, CT
Reply #13 on: May 09, 2021, 03:56:30 PM
I changed the clutch fluid in my TEx yesterday and used blue Loctite 243 on the 5 cover screws. It's been holding the engine of my KLR650 together for 13 years now so it will be fine. The TEx clutch cover doesn't get all that hot if I can believe my right shin.

Oh, and I kept my original "fixings".
Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 03:58:49 PM by electroken

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #14 on: May 09, 2021, 04:29:22 PM
*Originally Posted by Catman88 [+]
I'm bleeding my hydraulic clutch today and when removing the five fixing they are hard to turn all the way out and do have a white paste like thread locker on them, I really don't want to use red or blue thread lock on these bolt, does anyone know what brand of thread lock is similar to what's in the picture, the thread lock obviously retains the bolt but does not get hard.

Probably Moen pipe joint compound. Get in the plumbing section of your local home hardware store.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Catman88

• Ex Member
  • Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #15 on: May 09, 2021, 04:53:07 PM
*Originally Posted by electroken [+]
I changed the clutch fluid in my TEx yesterday and used blue Loctite 243 on the 5 cover screws. It's been holding the engine of my KLR650 together for 13 years now so it will be fine. The TEx clutch cover doesn't get all that hot if I can believe my right shin.

Oh, and I kept my original "fixings".

How did you clean the old thread lock out of the threads? Or did you just mix mix the blue with the OEM thread lock? 

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
Reply #16 on: May 09, 2021, 05:09:41 PM
How did you clean the old thread lock out of the threads? Or did you just mix mix the blue with the OEM thread lock?
Honestly, I would just put them back the way they are. Come to think of it, this is probably the reason why those screws are discardable: Triumph makes them with the thread locker already applied to the threads. If I recall correctly, the timing screws that secure the sprockets to the cam shaft had thread locker pre-applied to them.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Catman88

• Ex Member
  • Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #17 on: May 09, 2021, 05:56:33 PM
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Honestly, I would just put them back the way they are. Come to think of it, this is probably the reason why those screws are discardable: Triumph makes them with the thread locker already applied to the threads. If I recall correctly, the timing screws that secure the sprockets to the cam shaft had thread locker pre-applied to them.

I just sent Triumph an email as one of the forum members suggested and I will post their response.   Until then I will just put the bolts back in as they are and torque them to their specific torque requirements, there is so much of the original thread lock in the threads i believe they will hold just fine. I will keep an eye on them.  Yes I know it just holds on a plastic cover and i'm being anal  :169:
Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 06:03:07 PM by Catman88

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
Reply #18 on: May 09, 2021, 06:10:15 PM
 FWIW that's what I did years ago, and I have not lost a screw.

Offline electroken

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2015 TEX
  • City / Town: Shelton, CT
Reply #19 on: May 09, 2021, 09:12:36 PM

I wiped the bolts down with brake parts cleaner, which is predominantly acetone. I did the same to the threaded bosses in the clutch cover.

nonskid