Author Topic: crash bars  (Read 9714 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

#60

Offline XCaTel

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2676
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
  • Country: ie
Re: crash bars
Reply #60 on: January 18, 2022, 12:55:05 PM
*Originally Posted by applehugger [+]
That is super cool of HEED to credit back for import fees! I am really impressed with this little Polish company. They definitely punch above their weight class.


That may not be the real case. VAT may of been paid twice in this instance. Heed's price would of included VAT (as it would of normally selling to anyone in the EU) and when imported to the UK it may of had UK VAT added by the couriers too along with an import duty. A lot of UK and European businesses are still making a total balls of this. Heed should of shipped minus VAT so only the VAT on the UK side is collected. Customs paperwork does need filling out properly to get this to work though. So Heed may just be correcting their initial mistake.

In Ireland you can import goods to the value of €150 which must include the shipping costs, e.g. €135 goods and €15 shipping, and no import duty is levied. But VAT on the whole €150 is due at the local Irish rate of 23%. This is where the seller into the EU, e.g. a UK company needs to deduct the UK VAT on their selling price so the buyer does not pay VAT twice in two jurisdictions. The slight annoyance is that the courier companies in Ireland are making a killing by adding "administrative fees" to collect the VAT on behalf of the Government. Unfortunately for the Irish Government they must hand 80% of those VAT collections into the central EU pool.

#61

Offline applehugger

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 55
  • Bike: 2017 Tiger 1200 XRx
  • Country: us
Re: crash bars
Reply #61 on: January 18, 2022, 01:02:36 PM
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
That may not be the real case. VAT may of been paid twice in this instance. Heed's price would of included VAT (as it would of normally selling to anyone in the EU) and when imported to the UK it may of had UK VAT added by the couriers too along with an import duty. A lot of UK and European businesses are still making a total balls of this. Heed should of shipped minus VAT so only the VAT on the UK side is collected. Customs paperwork does need filling out properly to get this to work though. So Heed may just be correcting their initial mistake.

In Ireland you can import goods to the value of €150 which must include the shipping costs, e.g. €135 goods and €15 shipping, and no import duty is levied. But VAT on the whole €150 is due at the local Irish rate of 23%. This is where the seller into the EU, e.g. a UK company needs to deduct the UK VAT on their selling price so the buyer does not pay VAT twice in two jurisdictions. The slight annoyance is that the courier companies in Ireland are making a killing by adding "administrative fees" to collect the VAT on behalf of the Government. Unfortunately for the Irish Government they must hand 80% of those VAT collections into the central EU pool.

After reading this, my only thoughts are "lol wut" and "wow Boris really messed this up for y'all, didn't he?"
I can't imagine the administrative headache this must cause for any company in the EU, let alone a small Polish company that makes crash bars.

#62

Offline XCaTel

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2676
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
  • Country: ie
Re: crash bars
Reply #62 on: January 18, 2022, 01:24:30 PM
*Originally Posted by applehugger [+]
After reading this, my only thoughts are "lol wut" and "wow Boris really messed this up for y'all, didn't he?"

Not necessarily, give or take the odd revolution there are 195 countries in the world, the EU is not the UK's only trading block and it's not the end of the world, for either party. If a UK or EU national wanted to buy anything outside the EU he had to go through the same hassle. Importing from North America attracted the same import duties too and most EU individuals would never buy US supplied goods direct. Customs and Import duties were always there and always applied.  The UK are hoping free trade deals with other countries in excess of the limitations of the EU will compensate for that loss of EU free trade.

I would like to buy the CB750 conversion kit for my CB1100 from Japan but the import duty makes it prohibitively expensive. If Brexit brings about much reduced or zero tariffs with Japan and a pile of other countries that would be great. There are too many doomsayers in the UK over Brexit, some people just need to get a positive attitude.

#63

Offline applehugger

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 55
  • Bike: 2017 Tiger 1200 XRx
  • Country: us
Re: crash bars
Reply #63 on: January 18, 2022, 02:20:48 PM
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
Not necessarily, give or take the odd revolution there are 195 countries in the world, the EU is not the UK's only trading block and it's not the end of the world, for either party. If a UK or EU national wanted to buy anything outside the EU he had to go through the same hassle. Importing from North America attracted the same import duties too and most EU individuals would never buy US supplied goods direct. Customs and Import duties were always there and always applied.  The UK are hoping free trade deals with other countries in excess of the limitations of the EU will compensate for that loss of EU free trade.

I would like to buy the CB750 conversion kit for my CB1100 from Japan but the import duty makes it prohibitively expensive. If Brexit brings about much reduced or zero tariffs with Japan and a pile of other countries that would be great. There are too many doomsayers in the UK over Brexit, some people just need to get a positive attitude.

Well, I suppose that's one way to look at it. At any rate, I am not in the UK so I don't deal with the intricacies of Brexit. We do rather have our hands full putting out fires on the other side of the pond, sometimes literally.

ANYWAY, bottom line is that HEED makes great crash bars, definitely recommend them, and undo one engine bolt at a time to prevent alignment issues.

#64

Offline XCaTel

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2676
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
  • Country: ie
Re: crash bars
Reply #64 on: January 19, 2022, 07:01:06 PM
*Originally Posted by applehugger [+]

ANYWAY, bottom line is that HEED makes great crash bars, definitely recommend them, and undo one engine bolt at a time to prevent alignment issues.

They do have a good reputation for their product alright  :028:

#65

Offline Bricktop1664

  • Explorer Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 10
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Somerset
  • Country: gb
Re: crash bars
Reply #65 on: May 15, 2022, 10:52:21 AM
*Originally Posted by Takamota [+]
Got my Heed lower bars on tonight. Hopefully have pics with the upper bars after I fit them tomorrow



These look mint! May i ask how much they cost? I’m very keen to purchase some.