Author Topic: Rear splash guard  (Read 787 times)

Offline Catman88

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA 2019
  • City / Town: Central California
Rear splash guard
on: April 27, 2021, 02:16:38 AM
Does any aftermarket companies make a rear splash guard for a 3rd gen Tiger 1200 like in the picture below.  I own the Puig hugger but was looking for something to keep the rooster tail spray at bay. thank you.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Re: Rear splash guard
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 08:22:58 AM

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 08:36:24 AM
Also lots of owners have made their own cheap deflectors fitted behind the number plate. Usually a plastic tray with 3 sides/edges cut off. The base of the tray should be wider than the number plate & the remaining 4th side/edge extending backwards horizontally under the number plate. I expect someone will be along with photos or a link to the relevant forum page.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 10:26:03 AM
This might put you off one https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,13838.msg174061.html#msg174061

This might make you build an alternative one of your own like the lads here https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,20036.msg231968.html#msg231968

Offline Catman88

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 04:25:59 PM
You forum members are the best search feature  :464:'s.    I use the search bar but sometimes I'm not so successful.  That GP splash guard looks pretty decent, I wonder how it holds up.  Thanks for posting about that other one that failed, I bet a lot of these aftermarket companies don't take a lot of time to do testing, and a lot of off road riding most likely beats the heck out of those things.

Offline OldEssexMan

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 1200 XRt
Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 03:04:19 PM
I too have been seeking a splash guard for my 2017 XRt. After a couple of false starts I bought a set of these:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393110009441 mudflaps for small vehicles, and cut one to size. I ended up with a large splash guard that probably to some folks, looks rather ugly. As far as I am concerned, it does it's job, keeping all road filth off my top box. Unfortunately, I cannot add a picture, I don't have a Photo Gallery account.

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Muttley the Explorer
  • City / Town: Tonyrefail
Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 10:23:11 PM
Here''s the link to the one I made which is very successfull in keeping spray off the backe d and topbox. I still have the bike and it's still working great. As you can see in the tnread people all over  ade versions of it.

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,14204.0.html

Worth trying it, can you go wrong for the cost of about £1 ?  :467:
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Offline OldEssexMan

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 1200 XRt
Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 07:50:25 PM
*Originally Posted by OldEssexMan [+]
I too have been seeking a splash guard for my 2017 XRt. After a couple of false starts I bought a set of these:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393110009441 mudflaps for small vehicles, and cut one to size. I ended up with a large splash guard that probably to some folks, looks rather ugly. As far as I am concerned, it does it's job, keeping all road filth off my top box. Unfortunately, I cannot add a picture, I don't have a Photo Gallery account.
I now have a Photo Gallery account so here are a couple of shots of my splash guard.

Offline Catman88

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 07:57:11 PM
You might want to hold off buying this mud guard because of a few problems.  I really like the design, the bracket is made of thick steel that is laser cut with the GP logo, so it looks really custom, the bracket has a nice black crinkle finish paint job, and the plastic mudguard is thick with some fiberglass reinforcing on the back.

Now the problems, The bolts they provided are to long, and if you are not an observant person you would drive away after installation and tear the hell out of your rotor, you can see they ground the bolts to length but not far enough. I had to cut them to the appropriate length.

Next the bracket is not designed correctly, as you can see in the photo it's crooked where your mud guard is going to bolt onto.

To be able to use this mud guard with my Puig hugger I just machined down the Puig bushing in my metal lathe to the appropriate size needed,  and that has no bearing on how the GP mudguard is installed, its crooked because of how GP manufactured and bent the bracket.

I contacted the seller through eBay and I will see if they have a solution to this problem.  If they can't correct the problem I will just do my own fabrication of the bracket to fix the problem.  I will keep you posted.

I do like all your guys other suggestions for mudguards and I might give one of your ideas a try if this GP does not work out.

Thanks for all your help.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164156205252?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=463782538326&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 08:33:52 PM
Good feedback Catman88, let us know how you finish up with it.