Author Topic: The Pan America.......  (Read 1775 times)

Offline daveh

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 XRX 1200
  • City / Town: Ballarat
Re: The Pan America.......
Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 03:55:19 AM
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
No but you can make them do that manually if you want to. On the XCa and XRt set the TSAS to off-road in the "programmable Rider" mode but leave ABS and Traction control on in a normal mode, e.g. road. Now when you come to a town you can change into that "Rider Mode" on the fly without stopping, the rear preload will lower the bike. When you are leaving town just select any other rider mode, say road and the rear preload will come back up whilst in motion.

So, not so slick or quick and you wouldn't use it every junction but the same effect.

Then I’ll argue it’s not the same.
The default position is raised, the lowering only occurs when their is power and its selected.
A boon for the short riders of the world.

Offline NorthumBryan

• Explorer Pro
  • NorthumBryan
  • Bike: Tigger 1200 Alpine
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 07:46:20 AM
I have to applaud HD, it's a whole new universe they've entered into and they seem to have hit the nail on the head with the first attempt. The styling is divisive, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I remember when the BMW R1150GS came out with the different size headlights and people said that it would never sell because of the odd looks... Not my cup of tea (and why didn't they make it a shaftie ?), but I would like to see a few of them on the road. Good luck to them  :467:
Talking bollocks since 1965...

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 09:08:16 AM
*Originally Posted by daveh [+]
Then I’ll argue it’s not the same.

No need to argue, I didn't say it was the same. I said you could lower your ride height manually with a rider mode change on the T12.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 09:27:41 AM
*Originally Posted by NorthumBryan [+]
I would like to see a few of them on the road.

Me too. But I'm still waiting to see a HD electric Livewire anywhere other than a show or the press = my nearest HD dealer hasn't even had one = apparently they chose not to invest in the training HD insisted on to sell & service the Livewire (they'd made a similar investment for the HD trikes and not found it worth the expense). I really hope the same doesn't happen with the Pan America.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 09:32:38 AM
Unfortunately for HD this new bike which is competitively priced in NA will be overpriced in Europe compared to the competition. Harleys currently face a retaliatory import duty of 25% in Europe to counter the US import tax on Steel and Aluminium, previously it was 6%. It has been 25% for a while now and our local Harley dealer has eye watering prices for Harleys. Further to that the EU are looking to up this tax to 56% on the 1st June this year as Harley no longer have a presence in Thailand. Court cases are in full swing it is said. Even so, a 25% price Hike on Harley's is not to be sniffed at, it puts them at quite a disadvantage over European brands in Europe, Harleys second largest market. That is the negative impact on Trumps "America First" stance which I did actually admire on a certain level.

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
Reply #15 on: May 03, 2021, 06:13:50 PM
It's actually the first Harley I've ever thought of giving a second look at. Maybe Harley will have to rethink their corporate motto "Yesterdays Technology Tomorrow"

Online Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
Reply #16 on: May 03, 2021, 06:39:23 PM
^^^

Me too.  Actually stopped at my most local H-D dealership on Saturday to see if there was one to be seen.  No.  And No idea when one will be available. According to the "salesman", there hadn't been much interest so far.

????

Dealership was busy though, at least 2 dozen over-chromed pigs, uh, excuse me HAWGS, parked in the lot, and lots of foot traffic in the store.  And boy, did I feel out place without one single piece of black leather on me.  Not threatened, mind you, just different from everyone else.

H-D really is aiming for a seriously different customer with this bike.  For their sake,  if the customer they want finds the bike, I hope they don't run them off.
Dick63

Offline NorthumBryan

• Explorer Pro
  • NorthumBryan
  • Bike: Tigger 1200 Alpine
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Reply #17 on: May 06, 2021, 01:42:46 PM
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
But I'm still waiting to see a HD electric Livewire anywhere other than a show or the press

i was talking to the owner of one last Saturday up at the Carter Bar (border crossing between England & Scotland) and he loved it. He was from Hawick and he reckons if he 'gets on it' he could flatten the battery in around 50 miles. Eeeeek. Riding more conservatively it was around 75/80 miles. great fun by all accounts and accelerates like a missile !
Talking bollocks since 1965...

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #18 on: May 14, 2021, 12:13:04 AM
Two reviews I've read recently on Adv Rider both ended with the reviewer saying that they would buy one. That's something. Hydraulic valve lifters, so no valve adjustments -- ever. That's something else. 60 lbs lighter than my TEX. I would take a look at one.
Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 12:41:18 AM by CaptainTrips
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
Reply #19 on: May 14, 2021, 11:57:49 AM
^^^^

Yes. 

I've never been particularly fond of orange and black as a color scheme, or chrome, or OHV twins.   But 67 lbs caught my attention.

Then again, so did Icy's post.

So, I sincerely hope that Triumph's engineering and marketing staffs are aware of how much improvement a weight loss of 67 lbs can lead to.  Shoot, it doesn't even have to be 67, I will settle for 50.   

Said somewhat differently, all the enhancements and improvements to the Gen 3 have failed to move me off my Gen 1.  They just don't matter much to me. 

But a similar bike and a 50+ lb weight loss will damn near guarantee the sale of a new one.  (And don't post up about the 900, etc.  I could have bought an 800 when I bought the 1200.  That's not what I'm talking about.  Give me a 1200 shaftie  TEx that has been on a diet and working out, please.) 
Dick63