Author Topic: The Pan America.......  (Read 6101 times)

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Re: The Pan America.......
Reply #40 on: July 06, 2021, 04:02:27 PM
I didn't set the CC on the PA, but there is in indicator on the dash for it.

I prefer a shaftie with a single sided swingarm.  I didn't notice any chain noise.  May laughter might have drowned it out.  I could live  a chain.

Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 04:05:57 PM by JG_XRT
Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #41 on: July 06, 2021, 05:25:42 PM
Thanks for the detailed PanAm revue. Yours seems consistent with the reviews that I have read. One Is always a little suspicious of moto journalist reviews. Good to get confirmation.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Reply #42 on: July 07, 2021, 08:52:37 AM
*Originally Posted by JG_XRT [+]
I didn't set the CC on the PA, but there is in indicator on the dash for it.
What I read was that the set speed is not displayed on the dash. And that would be a feature breaker to me.
I use the CC to save the planet but more immediately to preserve my license!

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #43 on: July 07, 2021, 03:34:49 PM
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
What I read was that the set speed is not displayed on the dash. And that would be a feature breaker to me.
I use the CC to save the planet but more immediately to preserve my license!
I don't recall ever having the need for the set speed displayed on a CC and historically there was no display on the addon units. Initial set is usually the currently displayed speed and the increments are usually in 1s and you can't reengage the CC if it is out of range -- I was disappointed when I found out that my dad's new Ford Galaxy would not do auto-burnouts.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #44 on: July 08, 2021, 01:20:29 AM
I use the displayed CC speed on my Tiger all the time.

Firstly, the bike goes up and down in speed so readily, that the exact speed at which it's set, is sometimes hard to determine.  Important when it's at the speed limit.
-Though of course one can blip it up or down a bit if the speedo/GPS is showing too high or low a speed.  Can that be done on the PA?

Secondly, the Tiger CC has a 'feature' where resume after cruising through a small town at lower than set speed, resumes at the current speed instead of what it was set at.
Seeing what it gets set to is useful there.

All that said, my old eyes are finding it harder and harder to see the CC set speed.  I need a big-font setting for my dash.  (Same for my Zumo GPS.)

Online Simmo

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 1200 XRT White
  • City / Town: Reading
Reply #45 on: July 08, 2021, 08:26:21 PM
Hi All

I was at a bit of a loose end tomorrow so I phoned my local Harley Dealer and now I've got a test ride booked at midday!

This is going to be interesting!!

Simmo
2019 Tiger 1200 XRT in White fitted with TPMS, Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, and Givi Trekker Outback 58L Top Box.

Offline Speed_Racer

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 13 Tex/08 St3
  • City / Town: Utah, USA
Reply #46 on: July 08, 2021, 11:48:03 PM
*Originally Posted by Simmo [+]
Hi All

I was at a bit of a loose end tomorrow so I phoned my local Harley Dealer and now I've got a test ride booked at midday!

Simmo

Nice! I signed up with my local dealer to be notified when they get stock, but with how buggy their site is I'm not hopeful I'll hear from them.
Next time I'm riding past I plan to drop in and snag a test ride as well.
'13 TEx, '08 Striple

Online pcarnut

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
Reply #47 on: July 12, 2021, 10:57:19 PM
*Originally Posted by Simmo [+]
Hi All

Simmo
  And...?
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Online Simmo

• Explorer Pro
Reply #48 on: July 13, 2021, 01:00:49 PM
Here are my ramblings with regard my test ride of the Pan America – you wont find poetic eloquence or deep technical knowledge – just ramblings from the real world!
Where to start. Looks strange, sounds great (the test bike had a Screamin’ Eagle exhaust can), goes like a rocket!
This bike has a tough job living up to the Explorer – I’m on my fourth and have owned all 3 generations. It took an age to mould the Explorer to my shape and I could instantly see the same issues applying to the Pan America.
I did like the performance, to my mind it is blisteringly fast on acceleration – I had been warned that ‘rain’ mode was sluggish which is certainly the case but it’s all relative. Road and Sport modes felt like they could pull your arms out. Fortunately, the brakes were strong and effective. I did not try the off-road modes as I would never use them anyway.
The good thing about the on-road modes is that you simply scroll between them and there was no need to decelerate, dip the clutch or anything like that. I believe you have to stop if you transition from a road going mode to an off-road mode though.
The negatives were that I felt the bars were a bit narrow and for me there’s too much of a forward lean. HD have got this covered in that they will sell you 2” risers (dealer says there are no cable length issues in fitting the risers). The standard screen is too small and not tall enough – again HD offer a taller screen.
The seat looks good but is probably a little too soft and after an hour there were signs of it becoming uncomfortable. The bike was fitted with the standard seat and the dealer raised it to the higher position as I’m 6’3” with long legs! The Auto Ride Height feature for me was a bit of a gimmick – I didn’t feel I needed it and during the ride I was not aware of it actually doing anything.
Another niggle (until you get used to it) is the indicator button – it’s a regular button (left,right,push to cancel) but it’s hidden away out of sight under the left hand switch block! It has self-cancelling indicators but self-cancelling only works if the bike senses you’ve completed your maneuver otherwise it stays on.
As for the looks I’m not too sure that it looks like an adventure style bike – I could live with the front end look but the shape and view of the petrol tank when sat on the bike is just awful! No shape or style at all, and my initial thought when throwing my leg over it was ‘where do my knees fit’
Finally the gear changes were good, smooth, clunk free but there’s no quick shifter. The instrumentation was clear and seemed to offer plenty of adjustment.
PS – the dealership had already sold something like 70% of their initial supply and strangely 60% of these were actually HD owners that ‘wanted something different as well’ Go figure!

Simmo
2019 Tiger 1200 XRT in White fitted with TPMS, Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, and Givi Trekker Outback 58L Top Box.

Online Simmo

• Explorer Pro
Reply #49 on: July 13, 2021, 02:29:55 PM
OOPs - forgot to mention, there is no moving SatNav on the HDs instrument panel unless you pair up to a mobile phone! Us Garmin, TomTom or Magellan users are back where we started with the TEX Gen3!

Simmo