Author Topic: The Pan America.......  (Read 4728 times)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: The Pan America.......
Reply #50 on: July 13, 2021, 09:34:46 PM
Cheers Simmo, interesting read. :028:

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Reply #51 on: July 15, 2021, 03:59:39 PM
*Originally Posted by Simmo [+]
HD offer a taller screen.
Surprising choice of verb, if not misleading!
(c8

Thanks for the report, it seems to confirm this won't be my next bike.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
Reply #52 on: July 21, 2021, 09:16:39 PM
I took a two hour test ride on the Pan America (PA) today and it was a hoot. I really enjoyed the bike, the engine is its focal feature for sure. I'll get straight to the point, would I buy it? No. Would I ever buy one, absolutely.

Negatives first

DISPLAY The normal riding display implementation is very poor, very small text for a lot of the information. The gear position indicator, current revs and fuel gauge are hard to pick up on. You can declutter it and take items off you don't need, like I don't care that the battery voltage is 14.4v, but you end up with wasted display estate, I was hoping the rest would get larger but it didn't. That was a great shame, it makes the T12 riding screen look like a design masterclass, easily displaying good information on what is a smaller screen. Set speed for cruise was not there as mentioned above, not a deal breaker but I like to see it. It was not all bad news though, the menus and navigation for setup was intuitive and easy.

QUICK-SHIFTER There isn't one - big fail! This bike would be well suited to one, after being totally spoilt by the Gen 3 QS I wouldn't have a new multi-day bike without one.

LOAD CAPACITY I have mentioned this before, it is a good bit down on the Tiger, not a great contender for a two up load lugger. For solo only riders it is of no consequence.

The rest are merely observations or positives.

The engine is a stormer, pulls like a train, is smooth with marginal vibration. It brings out a little hooligan in you and encourages a handful. I had a screaming eagle add on exhaust which popped a lot on deceleration. but with euro regs. I suspect the stock exhaust would do the same. The acceleration sound from the engine was very pleasing and a little louder than I expected it to be. No valve services a boon.

Ergos for me were perfect, I would change nothing. I have a short 29" leg and the adaptive ride height did its job perfectly. Anyone with a 31" leg or more does not need it to my mind. Seat was comfy, bars were an easier reach than the Tiger. Standing did not work out though, too much of a stoop to the bars but they do offer a factory 2” riser so that is taken care of for taller off-road riders. I used the seat in the high position which gave a good seat to peg ratio. If I am honest this bike fits me better than my Tiger.

Switchgear was really easy to work out but did look slightly low rent compared to the Gen 3. Cruise resume rocker was a stiff old button. Rider modes were nice and easy to select. Looks like you can disable specific rider modes in the setup too so to take them out of the menu choice which I would like on the Tiger.

Handling is something to get used to, at medium speeds the steering damper feels as if it is working against you a little. Some bends felt like they needed a little opposite lock steering which is exaggerated by the narrow bars. Not a deal breaker, something to get used to.

Suspension and Rider modes made a difference in the same way they do with the Tiger. Sport firms it up and rain softens it off and a range in between. Sport seemed like a mode you might use a bit more often, a mode I would not really use too much on the Tiger. Sport rider mode isn't suited to town riding, the motor doesn't particularly like low revs in town.

Overall, the bike is not some great improvement over any ADV bike out there. From a technical standpoint it lags in terms of the latest gadgets that we see from BMW, Ducati and KTM and I suspect the next Gen Tiger 1200, maybe not a bad thing either. It has also gone in a completely different direction to all other ADV bikes, strip the minimal front end plastics top box and you could be looking at a classic roadster, just jacked up a little.

So just a new dash and a quick-shifter and that would do it for me. Better than any other ADV out there, not really, just different, H-D’s way and none the worse for it.

Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 10:10:16 PM by XCaTel

Online KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #53 on: July 22, 2021, 12:39:34 AM
I like that you snapped the two bikes together.
The Tiger isn't exactly a thing of extreme beauty, but the Pan sure is UGLY.  That would put me off more than anything.

I wouldn't miss the quick-shifter much, but a dash with small cluttered stuff on it, means it is for younger eyes than mine.  Then there's the shaft drive of course.
And unlike for a certain bunch of occasional riders in dry conditions only, the name Harley Davidson is for me a negative, rather than a positive.
Ok, call me a brand racist.  Yep, I am.  That said, never say never.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
Reply #54 on: July 22, 2021, 07:07:56 AM
I hear you KenW! I forgot to mention, the indicators are really goofy. Those front fogs you see on it, they are the indicators, I don't think it had any auxiliary or fog lighting.