Author Topic: Metzlers on 1200 XRT  (Read 355 times)

Offline Joe24601

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Longfield
Metzlers on 1200 XRT
on: May 02, 2021, 05:35:15 PM
Hi All

I’m getting bizarre wear patterns on my Metzlers on my 1200 XRT, the front seems to be wearing down the sides leaving a pronounced flat ridge round the centre and the rears are virtually the opposite, wearing down on the centre line as though I’d done a million motorway miles which I haven’t. My last set did exactly the same and these have only been on for about 2000 miles.

Anybody got any ideas

TIA

Joe

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Metzlers on 1200 XRT
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 06:38:47 PM
This is not uncommon for these tyres on this bike Joe. This is the same tyre wear I had on mine and even had the front sent back to them for comment. They said it was normal wear and typical of motorway mileage. A motorway mileage that I hadn't done living in Ireland. You end up with a noisy trapezoidal shaped tyre on the front which gets noisier as you wear them down. Use the search term on this forum, these tyres don't get a good report from most.

Offline jannerman

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Plymouth
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 07:29:16 PM
Hi Joe, exactly the same happened on mine. The front was wearing slightly strangely up to about 3,500 miles but it worked fine for me, the worrying thing was that then it then wore incredibly rapidly in the next 500 and was past the UK legal limit right on 4,000 but only on the sides (Looked like Marc Marquez had been using it in qualifying). Personally, I won't knock the Tourance Next for anything else but the incredibly rapid wear at the end which meant it required a bit more steering input and nearly caught me out legally wise. Replaced it with a Michelin Road 5 trail and everything's sweet and dandy again. The irritating thing is that the matching Michelin Road 5 Trail rear that I ordered at the same time (and was listed as in stock) is actually on back order and not expected to be available until at least 12th June. The back is just a little squared off and has more tread depth left, it's legal so I'm not too worried about that.

Offline Joe24601

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 07:37:28 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I thought I must have been doing something weird to make the front wear like it has so it’s good to hear it’s not just me. I think my next tyres will be road 5’s .

Offline NorthumBryan

• Explorer Pro
  • NorthumBryan
  • Bike: Tigger 1200 Alpine
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 07:39:59 AM
I have noticed the rear on mine with only 1,300 miles is starting to square off a bit. I suspect these tyres will be going in the bin sooner rather than later...
Talking bollocks since 1965...

Offline Joe24601

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 10:40:10 AM
*Originally Posted by NorthumBryan [+]
I have noticed the rear on mine with only 1,300 miles is starting to square off a bit. I suspect these tyres will be going in the bin sooner rather than later...
Yeah mine too  :003:

nonskid