Author Topic: Post-ride gurgling  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: RTW
Re: Post-ride gurgling
Reply #10 on: May 25, 2021, 02:54:51 AM
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
On really hot days I've also heard the gasoline boil in the fuel tank after parking.

Definitely mate. Initial boiling point is only 35C

Online JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Reply #11 on: May 25, 2021, 12:37:19 PM
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
On really hot days I've also heard the gasoline boil in the fuel tank after parking.

That's one way to get the ethanol out of your gas!
Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?

Offline Big Iron Driver

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Frankfort, KY
Reply #12 on: June 06, 2021, 06:27:19 PM
My 2013 with 59K does it after it gets serviced and the coolant is filled.  I usually have to wipe up the coolant that it spits out on the garage floor after a few rides on hot days.  I currently have Blue Ice in it.  My mechanic recommended it after I told him how much heat it puts off when the ambient temps get north of 80.  I can’t say it helped.  My experience reinforces that the bike likes to run with the coolant at a low level.  Mine likes to be below the low line.  I haven’t observed any negative effects of this, other than the coolant on the floor.

Offline Crazy Kev

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 1200 XCa: '88 Gsxr
  • City / Town: Johannesburg
Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 10:50:49 AM
Agreed, my 2017 does the same. gurgles and I keep the coolant level at low marker :034:

Offline morhot

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: TEX '16 XCx
Reply #14 on: June 13, 2021, 03:25:05 PM
After the last high temperature ride, I have a very likely theory about the cause of the gurgling.
The gasoline in the tank warms up to a very high temperature, in my opinion over 40 degrees. It burns when you touch it with your hand.
After the engine is turned off, the fuel and air in the tank begin to cool down. Their volume decreases and a negative pressure is created. To compensate for the negative pressure, air from outside is sucked into the tank. Probably through the vent near the fuel pump on the bottom of the tank.
The gurgling we hear are air bubbles rising from the bottom of the tank to the surface of the fuel.
So it's strange but normal. Will you agree?

If the coolant boiled, it would be done immediately after the engine was shut down. I mean 10-15 seconds after the engine is turned off. And it lasted a maximum of 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Of course, the coolant would have run out of the reservoir under the motorcycle.

Translated with a translator - sorry for grammatical errors.
Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 03:28:09 PM by morhot
Tiger Explorer 1200 2016
Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade 2006

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #15 on: June 13, 2021, 05:09:57 PM
*Originally Posted by morhot [+]
After the last high temperature ride, I have a very likely theory about the cause of the gurgling.
The gasoline in the tank warms up to a very high temperature, in my opinion over 40 degrees. It burns when you touch it with your hand.
After the engine is turned off, the fuel and air in the tank begin to cool down. Their volume decreases and a negative pressure is created. To compensate for the negative pressure, air from outside is sucked into the tank. Probably through the vent near the fuel pump on the bottom of the tank.
The gurgling we hear are air bubbles rising from the bottom of the tank to the surface of the fuel.
So it's strange but normal. Will you agree?

If the coolant boiled, it would be done immediately after the engine was shut down. I mean 10-15 seconds after the engine is turned off. And it lasted a maximum of 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Of course, the coolant would have run out of the reservoir under the motorcycle.

Translated with a translator - sorry for grammatical errors.

Your explanation seems highly plausible morhot, good info.

Online Dave354

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCa
  • City / Town: Truro
Reply #16 on: June 13, 2021, 08:53:54 PM
Not had a problem on the Tiger, but my old 1050 St began to do the same gurgling after a run.  I discovered about 3 weeks later whilst away on a trip to Ireland that I had a pin hole in my radiator!  It was losing liquid under pressure and then sucking in air as it cooled... I have also heard it could also be the radiator cap not sealing properly giving the same symptom?
Dave