Author Topic: Checking that I've done the rear pads right  (Read 1775 times)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Checking that I've done the rear pads right
Reply #10 on: July 05, 2021, 10:42:59 AM
I have reasonably new GG pads on my rear and the wheel will rotate just over a full turn on a spin without too much effort. You can hear and feel the pads lightly contacting the disk. If you are 100% sure the pads are sitting correctly, and you have an air gap in the reservoir I would be tempted to just run them in a bit and see how they pan out. I also just fitted new rear HH pads to my CB1100 and the rear disk does get hotter with the HH material so don't be too surprised if your rear disk gets hot with them.

Offline Stuartb

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Woking
Reply #11 on: July 05, 2021, 11:00:52 AM
Thanks very much for the reply.  I do have an airgap, but may try to just take a little out to see if that helps.

I'll try to get out on the bike today and also check temps on the disc after a bit of running (those were OK before).  Sounds like I do need to get it to the point where the wheel will turn more easily than now.

I've not done these pads before myself so don't know if it may have been like this before.  I have for a long time had a sense of something dragging (noticeable at maneouvering speed and sometimes slightly audible).  Did raise it dealers on previous services but got nowhere. 

Thanks again,

Stuart
Ask me if you have questions about any of:- Carbon fender extender, Pyramid shockshield, Triumph radiator guard, Givi SRA 6403 and 52L Trekker top box, 38L Trekker Outback cases, SW Motech crash bars and Storm handguards, GPS mount for car-based Garmin satnav, Batzen bracket, Skidmarx screen, SW Motech light mounts and LED lights with Skene Designs controller, Fuzeblock, Sena SMH10, Remus Ti Hexacone exhaust. Admore light bar. Handguard indicators/DRLs.

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
Reply #12 on: July 07, 2021, 03:28:03 PM
Let's not forget that as it's shaft drive it's not going to spin like a front one with all those UJs and bevel gears to turn. It should turn freely with no real drag or noise, but it's unlikely to spin that much.  Doesn't sound like bleeding will accomplish much more but if you do, try pumping the foot pedal a few time then hold that pressure before slackening the bleed screw. Sometimes that bit of pressure can help push out the odd bubble.

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 04:06:54 PM
Have just fitted a new set of Organic EBC pads to the rear - had to clean the walls of the pistons then push them right back into the caliper to get it back on - i did remove some fluid and at first with no brake pedal the wheel would spin freely - i then pumped the lever to take up the slack and worked the brake several times - now with contact that you could hear it was a lot more difficult to spin more than a half rotation by hand but free enough to roll the bike back and forth - for me that is ok 
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline Stuartb

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Woking
Reply #14 on: July 28, 2021, 02:30:26 PM
Thanks again all.
Ask me if you have questions about any of:- Carbon fender extender, Pyramid shockshield, Triumph radiator guard, Givi SRA 6403 and 52L Trekker top box, 38L Trekker Outback cases, SW Motech crash bars and Storm handguards, GPS mount for car-based Garmin satnav, Batzen bracket, Skidmarx screen, SW Motech light mounts and LED lights with Skene Designs controller, Fuzeblock, Sena SMH10, Remus Ti Hexacone exhaust. Admore light bar. Handguard indicators/DRLs.

nonskid