Author Topic: Moto Guzzi V85TT Travel Review  (Read 2964 times)

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Muttley the Explorer
  • City / Town: Tonyrefail
Re: Moto Guzzi V85TT Travel Review
Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 06:19:55 PM
Another think I forgot to mention is the V85TT has a 4 year warranty.  :002:
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 06:40:31 PM
I hope you don't have the same ownership experience NorthumBryan had, His V85TT experience didn't meet his expectations.

"How was the V85tt? Well it was an engaging bike to ride, it handled well and was very comfortable. The front brakes were good but the rear was just adequate, the suspension was good too if a little on the soft side but acceptable. The engine was characterful and pulled well in the midrange but it ran out of steam early, fine for road riding to be fair. The fly in the ointment for me was the horrific wind noise & buffeting. I tried all ways to get a screen to work and just couldn't, if you never went over 50 mph it was the perfect bike. Sadly a 1,000 mile trip around Scotland in August sealed it's fate with ringing ears and massive buffeting. I tried five different screens with two different spoilers sizes as well and just could not get one to work for me. Shame, as it should have been a great bike and it was my fourth Guzzi (v50 Monza, Le Mans 3 & a 1200 Stelvio previously) so I knew what I was getting in to."

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 06:56:43 PM
Interesting comments there. I found the rear brake to be the best I've had on any of my bikes. I suppose things change and improve on each years model, for example the 2021 model now has upgraded wheels to tubeless tyres (earlier models were tubed). The same can be said with screens, everyone's different and what's suits one person doesn't suit another. Some in the FB owners group say they cruise at 80mpg on motorways with zero wind buffeting. I was just looking at a long thread on a UK BMW GS forum where they were discussing the V85TT, it surprised me how many had downsized to one and loved them.   

Online NorthumBryan

• Explorer Pro
  • NorthumBryan
  • Bike: Tigger 1200 Alpine
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Reply #13 on: June 19, 2021, 08:53:35 AM
Just be careful with the wind protection. I notice that you flagged this up as an issue and I thought the same 'Oh, i'll just pop a screen on and it'll be sorted'. Didn't work and I could not find a one that would work for me. The buffeting and noise had me demented and after 5 screens all tried with two different spoilers I gave up and bought the Tigger, losing several thousands of pounds along the way... When you have a dig in the various Guzzi forums this pops up a lot so it's not just me, if you never exceed the 60mph speed limit they are OK but if you like a bit of a rip every now and again or travel regularly on motorways they become horrific wind noise generators. A long day doing a section of the NC500 sealed it's fate for me as I got back to my hotel drained, tired and with a banging headache and my ears ringing all night despite wearing earplugs... I dreaded having to get back on it the next day.

I agree with everything else you say, it's a very engaging bike, handles well, good brakes, characterful engine with a huge wave of torque just where you want it and it's got a massive 300 mile + range due to the fairly large tank and good fuel economy. The cheeky TFT dash is a thing of beauty and they are well screwed together. If only they'd done some testing in a wind tunnel ?
Talking bollocks since 1965...

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #14 on: June 19, 2021, 03:02:13 PM
I guess people of different shape/size/weight will be affected by the wind in different ways. I try to avoid motorways and at my age I’m no racer with regular speeds tending to be in the 60-85 range so I’ll cross my fingers and give it a go. Thanks for the feedback though, I’ll no doubt add my feedback experience to this thread after I get it. 👍

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #15 on: June 19, 2021, 11:03:45 PM
*Originally Posted by NH [+]
I guess people of different shape/size/weight will be affected by the wind in different ways. I try to avoid motorways and at my age I’m no racer with regular speeds tending to be in the 60-85 range so I’ll cross my fingers and give it a go. Thanks for the feedback though, I’ll no doubt add my feedback experience to this thread after I get it. 👍
Sometimes it is more than the windscreen. On my TEX it was the air coming up the front of the fuel tank. Fixed it with winglets. On my Himalayan it was turbulence from the mirrors. Fixed it with mirror extenders. On the the V-strom it was windscreen angle. Fixed it with a Madstad bracket. The same with the generic windscreen on my r1100r. Adjusted the angle of attack. My ST1300 needed a Laminar Lip. There is always a solution, if you are willing to experiment. Sometimes, it does take some time to sort out.

A friend of mine really does like his V85TT which he traded his XC to get.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #16 on: June 20, 2021, 09:24:42 AM
*Originally Posted by NH [+]
I was just looking at a long thread on a UK BMW GS forum where they were discussing the V85TT, it surprised me how many had downsized to one and loved them.

Yesterday I heard of a long term BMW rider who defected to Guzzis a few years ago has just upgraded to a second new V85TT. He's a high mileage traveller & does lots of rallies 2 up so it must be capable to carry him, pillion & all their camping gear. 

Online NorthumBryan

• Explorer Pro
  • NorthumBryan
Reply #17 on: June 20, 2021, 09:25:40 AM
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Sometimes it is more than the windscreen.

Agreed. On the V85 a LOT of buffeting comes up from under the screen and hits the very curved front of the fuel tank (sculpted to allow the forks to move) with the wind getting under the screen. I think this is exacerbated by the high 'motocross style' front mudguard which channels air under the screen which then hits the tank and has nowhere to go. I did try a few times plugging the gap with my hands and it gets a lot quieter but makes it difficult to steer with no hands on the bars... I suspect some sort of wind deflectors on the forks could be the answer ? I found my Alpine Edition was a really good cure for the situation and works well for me  :467:

Online NorthumBryan

• Explorer Pro
  • NorthumBryan
Reply #18 on: June 20, 2021, 09:37:24 AM
Just to set the scene, I'm 6'2 1/2" tall, 33" inseam and I had the tall (+ 20mm) seat fitted and 30mm handlebar risers. I was just going to lower the pegs as it was a little cramped for me as standard but because the bike is so light & flickable they drag on the ground very easily so that wasn't an option, hence the taller seat. The biggest barrier to finding screen nirvana was the fact that the screen mounting points are angled at about 15/20 degrees, so very little scope for using washers to adjust the angle further than factory as the screen quickly doesn't fit. I would have liked to space the screen out, away from the bike to allow more air to get under it, but this simply wasn't possible due to the geometry issues. By screen number 5 I was beginning to realise this wasn't going to work for me sadly.

Anyhow, I hope it works out for you  :467:

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #19 on: June 20, 2021, 10:53:38 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys I’ve taken it all on board. When I get it I’ll be doing a bit of experimenting. 👍