Author Topic: Moto Guzzi V85TT Travel Review  (Read 2968 times)

Online sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
Re: Moto Guzzi V85TT Travel Review
Reply #20 on: June 20, 2021, 03:44:36 PM
Thanks for posting as i have been following the V85 with interest  - some years ago i went from a Kwack 900 to a Kwack 750 which was a bad move - it was lighter but flighty and i missed the torque - with the Explorer it would be good to have less weight but i do like the way the engine drives -and there is no substitute for cc when fully loaded - i do hope the new one has both ! Got some Italian classics where fast riding is not needed but these are from Breganze a bit further East than Mandello   :001:       
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Muttley the Explorer
  • City / Town: Tonyrefail
Reply #21 on: June 26, 2021, 10:03:17 AM
Deal done, I’ve just bought a new V85TT Travel and get it in two weeks.
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #22 on: July 21, 2021, 09:22:46 AM
Well it finally happened, I had to say a sad goodbye to my Tex on Monday when I traded it for the V85TT after seven years of ownership. I’ve done a few hundred miles on it in the first 24 hours and have to say I really love the lighter weigh and quicker handling it’s a delight. The only thing I’m still trying to get used to is moving off from stationary, trying to get the lumpy twins revs right is so different to the triple or a four cylinder. I’m getting there though.  :008:

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #23 on: July 21, 2021, 06:52:14 PM
*Originally Posted by NH [+]
Well it finally happened, I had to say a sad goodbye to my Tex on Monday when I traded it for the V85TT after seven years of ownership. I’ve done a few hundred miles on it in the first 24 hours and have to say I really love the lighter weigh and quicker handling it’s a delight. The only thing I’m still trying to get used to is moving off from stationary, trying to get the lumpy twins revs right is so different to the triple or a four cylinder. I’m getting there though.  :008:

Good stuff, new bike is always exciting. A new clutch action and engine speed to get used too then, I'm sure you will have it cracked in no time. Always interested to see how people get on with other wheels, post back in once you have got some miles under your belt, good luck and congratulations!  :028:

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #24 on: July 26, 2021, 04:41:41 PM
Well it’s booked in for it’s 900 mile service in two weeks and then I won’t have to limit the revs. I’ve covered 300 miles and I’m loving it. The cruise control is so easy to use compared to my gen 1 that I use it on all sorts of roads. I’m slowly getting used to the twin, I found it tricky to judge the right revs when starting off to begin with as it’s lumpier but I’ve got the hang of it now. The throttle return spring feels a little stronger than my tex was and I find when holding a steady speed I slow down a bit without realising as my hand relaxes… not a bad thing really though. So nimble in the twisties. 🙂

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
Reply #25 on: July 26, 2021, 06:10:11 PM
It's great to hear you're enjoying it NH! :028: Ernie getting used to the new riding position?
Jon

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #26 on: July 26, 2021, 08:10:07 PM
*Originally Posted by Jon [+]
It's great to hear you're enjoying it NH! :028: Ernie getting used to the new riding position?

I haven’t found a suitable position for him yet so he’s still grounded.  :008:

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
Reply #27 on: July 26, 2021, 08:42:52 PM
 :047:
Jon

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #28 on: August 21, 2021, 12:40:51 PM
Well the V85 had its first service and the revs were released. The engine really comes alive over 5k revs and is a joy to ride in the twisties and sounds great. I rode for two and a half hours mainly in the dark and some rain last night on unlit country roads and I found the main beam didn’t throw light far enough ahead as the Explorer. In twisty narrow roads with dips and brows up to 50mph was fine but above that I would have liked a bit more distance on them. Although to be fair on the roads I was riding 50mph was pushing it a bit anyway. Plenty of distance auxiliary lights available though so it’s not a big issue and I’ll probably just stick with the OEM auxiliary light it already has and I don’t tend to do a lot of night riding in twisties anyway.

The redline is 7k but in the entire ride I only saw the rev light flicker once, it’s just not an engine that needs high revs to go quickly, 5k to 7k is fun. 🙂

So overall the main beam is my only real minus point on the bike and even that’s not a big one and easily rectified.

Overall I’m really pleased I made the decision to buy it and I don’t miss the tex power at all.

I guess this will probably be my last review update now so ask any questions you have before I ride off into the sunset and disappear from this great forum.

Jon - Ernie now sits between the screen and the tft so he’s happy. 😁
Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 12:45:12 PM by NH

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
Reply #29 on: August 21, 2021, 09:30:24 PM
So glad you're enjoying the new ride. I hope it brings many thousands of miles & smiles to ya brother. I saw the pic of Ernie. He looks a bit scrunched, but can always say he gets places before you. Stay safe, bro! :821:
Jon

nonskid