Author Topic: New member in VA, USA  (Read 842 times)

Offline VABird

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '18 1200XRT
  • City / Town: Forest, VA
New member in VA, USA
on: June 23, 2021, 11:07:11 PM
I've had 8 Triumphs over the last 15 years (at one time 4, currently have 2) including a Tiger 1050 and my present 955i.
I've found many things to really like about the 955i, but it's 15 years old now and closing on 60K mi., which I know isn't all that much on these triples. It's been rock solid, with only minor problems. A friend may have a '18 1200XRT for sale soon and I'm very tempted, However, I do have a few concerns.
1: Fuel economy. Is anybody here getting anywhere near 50 MPG? I see a lot of reports of low 40's and that's not very impressive. If I ride my 2006 moderately, I've gotten as high as 57, but usually about 53 MPG. Please don't lecture that the MPG isn't important to you. It's not THE factor, but it is A factor in buying a bike.
2: I'm a bit nervous about all the gizmos The most "advanced" bike I've had was a '12 T-Bird (hence my user name) and that didn't have an iota compared to the XRT. Are there common fails? I've read of "total electronic failures" That being said, I've read of many issues with T-Birds as well, but never had an issue past the belt squeal. Are electronic gremlins rare, or to be expected?
Bob
VABird

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: New member in VA, USA
Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 11:29:00 PM
I have averaged 50 MPG on trips over several thousand miles on mixed roads but that is imperial so yes I can imagine 40-43 US MPG would be a real consumption figure.

As for complexity - you needn't worry. The screen layout is simple, intuitive and clear, the rider modes have preselected throttle mapping, damping, ABS and traction control for you and rear preload is automatic. If you prefer your own damping control you can easily disassociate damping from rider modes and make it totally manual (but still electronically adjustable). You can declutter the information tray at the bottom of the screen to remove information you are not interested in making the rest a little more accessible. You will fully understand the setup very quickly. You will end up with a couple of riding modes that you use 95% of the time and be done with the rest.

This next bit is my personal advice and many others on the forum might not agree with me - Do not buy this bike unless you can fully flat foot it with the seat in the upper position. This is not a bike to be on the balls of your feet, you will soon tire of it in stop/start conditions. If you do very little town driving it is not so much of an issue. Good luck if you decide to buy, it is a brilliant bike, some of us have had issues, some worse than others but that is the nature of these things.

Offline VABird

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 11:43:00 PM
Thanks, I couldn't agree more about the flat footing.
I've sat on it with the seat in lower position, and easily flat foot.
I'll try it with seat adjusted high as well, but I think it'll be fine there too.

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 04:05:34 PM
First of all, :400: to the forum Bob. You've joined a great group of riders from all over the world with combined experience of thousands of years of experience.

If it weren't for the fact that I absolutely love my '12 TEX, and that I'm a stingy old tightwad, I would buy an '18 model or newer in a heartbeat. I'm friends with the owners of our local Triumph dealership so I get to see & hear about problems & issues that different rides have. Yes, there have been a few electrical gremlins in the Explorers, (and others) but very few compared to the number sold. It would not be a deterrent for me.

Probably the biggest issue I hear with the bike is how top heavy it is, especially when moving it around on foot, like in a garage or dismounting on a slope over uneven ground. I've dropped mine twice in parking lots, once when stepped into a pothole and once when I stepped off onto some loose sand in a fairly steep parking space. Barkbusters and upper & lower guards saved me from getting anything scratched up or broken. Even though I'm 6'4, 260 pounds, and not in terrible physical shape, the big girl can be a handful for me. That said once mounted & moving, that top heaviness disappears and it's like riding a sportbike.

Fuel economy is not great, but not bad for the weight & horsepower. Mine is typical with 43-45 being average. I've gotten as high as 52 mpg and if I recall correctly, the worst I've gotten is 37 mpg.

If you know the bike & it's history and you like it, I would encourage you to pull the trigger on it.  They're a fabulous ride!  :821:
Jon

Offline Speed_Racer

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 13 Tex/08 St3
  • City / Town: Utah, USA
Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 05:10:22 PM
1. I have a 2013 but my 2 yr avg is 46 mpg. Depending on where/how I'm riding I can reach the low-50s.
2. I've run into occasional gremlins, most of which I've fixed. But I've never been stranded by anything major - electronic or mechanical. I'm at 45k miles

They're a great ride, quick comfortable and versatile!
'13 TEx, '08 Striple

Offline NorthumBryan

• Explorer Pro
  • NorthumBryan
  • Bike: Tigger 1200 Alpine
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 06:51:07 PM
 :401: from the UK  :467:
Talking bollocks since 1965...

Online Icy

• Explorer God
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville, NY
Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 08:08:19 PM
 :400: welcome to the family  :821:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 09:33:36 PM
*Originally Posted by VABird [+]
Thanks, I couldn't agree more about the flat footing.
I've sat on it with the seat in lower position, and easily flat foot.
I'll try it with seat adjusted high as well, but I think it'll be fine there too.

You can also try this trick too. A poor man's Harley Ride Height Adjuster!

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 12:56:12 AM
Welcome to the forum from SA.  (No idea where VA is.)
My calculator tells me 50mpg US is 4.7 L/100km.
I have a 2018 XRt.  I can get that mileage when riding gently through the hills, eg on a bike club ride.
On a fast hilly twisty ride it will be more like 5 to 5.5 L/100km.
Two up and loaded, 5.5.
Head wind, 6 L/100km or more.  (I have the standard tall screen, Givi Monokey panniers and large topbox.)
Tail wind, 4.5 to 5 L/100km.
I think the fuel economy is reasonable for such a large powerful bike.  If you want better economy, get a smaller engined bike.  We have some on smaller Hondas in the club, which are amazingly economical.
Depends on whether you want to carry a pillion and luggage.

I ride with the seat in the lower position.  So I think it is good enough to be able to flat-foot with that.  I can.  I'm 5'10".  -But I always wear proper riding boots on the bike, even if going up to the shops for milk.

The bike is heavyish and top heavy with it.  I dropped my 2015 TEx a few times, standing still or going very slow.  (I'm not too good at U-turns.)
Done near 50kkm on the gen3 without dropping it once.  Obviously I've gotten more careful.
Just be careful.  Unlike me, maybe learn how to do U-turns well.
It's a great bike IMHO.

Offline VABird

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 03:11:08 AM
Well, the deal is done and I should be getting it in the next day or two. I'll be giving my friend a ride to get his R1250RT tomorrow.
I'm a little scared of the technology, but I've had pretty good luck with my Triumphs so far, so here's hoping that it continues.

BTW, the book calls for 87 octane, but he said he's always used premium.
What's the consensus on octane?

nonskid