Author Topic: Replacement touring tires  (Read 3243 times)

Offline SigFTW

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200 CXA
  • City / Town: Texas
Re: Replacement touring tires
Reply #10 on: July 19, 2021, 07:28:07 PM
My buddy just bought his second set of Michelin Anakee 3 for his BMW 1200, also. He was able to get around 10,000mils. I hope I can get the same. 

Offline Hondotech

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Hondotech
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Albuquerque
Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 07:58:31 PM
Thanks yeah I will look into these further. $ 100 less than Pirelli and $112 less than Avon. I'm sure they are of the highest quality. I will ride on my noisy Metzler Tourance tires for another 1000 miles or so then probably order these. I started to get the cupping issue at 3500 miles on my Tigers Tourance tires also. I am a big dude and weigh around 250 but am a little surprised by the noise and cupping. Thanks SigFTW

Offline SigFTW

• Explorer Member
Reply #12 on: July 19, 2021, 08:38:32 PM
*Originally Posted by Hondotech [+]
Thanks yeah I will look into these further. $ 100 less than Pirelli and $112 less than Avon. I'm sure they are of the highest quality. I will ride on my noisy Metzler Tourance tires for another 1000 miles or so then probably order these. I started to get the cupping issue at 3500 miles on my Tigers Tourance tires also. I am a big dude and weigh around 250 but am a little surprised by the noise and cupping. Thanks SigFTW

I'm at 5,500mils and having the same issue with on my front, I have Metzler Tourance also.

We have a 2,400 mil ride coming up in 2 weeks, so, I need to get these replaces before the trip. I'm not too sure they would last another 2k, especially the front.   

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #13 on: July 20, 2021, 12:00:20 AM
I find the Anakee 3 tyres noisy after the Scorpions, which I've had a few sets of.
Plenty of threads on here about tyres.  Do some searching.

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Muttley the Explorer
  • City / Town: Tonyrefail
Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 09:08:45 AM
I had a 2014 Tex for seven years until Monday when I sold it. The original Tourance tyres were appalling and I was glad to get rid of them. I changed them for Anakee 3’s and the difference was amazing, so amazing that I had three sets of them. Great handling and grip but they howl at around 45-50 and then again around 65-75. I changed from them to the Scorpion Trail 2’s and I’d honestly say they were the best tyres of the lot on the Tex, excellent grip and pretty quiet with no howling. By the way I ride mainly on tarmac roads and country lanes with no off-road other than the occasional gravel bit.
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Offline mike2411

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200 XCa
  • City / Town: Ojai
Reply #15 on: July 21, 2021, 09:49:28 PM
*Originally Posted by SigFTW [+]
My buddy just bought his second set of Michelin Anakee 3 for his BMW 1200, also. He was able to get around 10,000mils. I hope I can get the same.

I have tried 2 sets of the Anakee 3 and neither set lasted more than 3k miles, How did your friend get 10k out of them? I have tried several different brands on my Tiger and none have lasted more than 3k miles. Then I went to the Dunlop Trailmax and get 7k miles out of them so that's the tire I put on my bike, on my 3rd set.
"You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding."

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Muttley the Explorer
  • City / Town: Tonyrefail
Reply #16 on: July 22, 2021, 02:48:27 PM
I always got 6-7k out of each set on the Tex regardless of which tyre it was.
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Offline SigFTW

• Explorer Member
Reply #17 on: July 22, 2021, 08:55:29 PM
*Originally Posted by mike2411 [+]
I have tried 2 sets of the Anakee 3 and neither set lasted more than 3k miles, How did your friend get 10k out of them? I have tried several different brands on my Tiger and none have lasted more than 3k miles. Then I went to the Dunlop Trailmax and get 7k miles out of them so that's the tire I put on my bike, on my 3rd set.

I'm not sure, maybe riding style and weight? :027:
He is on his second set of tires, and is at 7k on this set, he still has plenty of tread. I'm on my first set of tires, the factory Metzler Tourance, and at 5.5k. I still have plenty of tread, just have concerns about the wear patters on the front. We both will wait until we get back from our big trip it CO to install the Anakee 3, that will put me at 8k+/- and, him at 9.5k+/-. His first set lasted around 9k+ also.

I just had the tire pressure monitors install on my bike, hope this will help with the wear because I was bad about not checking my tire pressure.  :164:

Offline 2aRover

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Tex
Reply #18 on: July 26, 2021, 05:57:16 PM
I've had only Anakee 3's on my 2013 since nearly new (now at 43,000 miles), having ditched the Tourances before they were worn.  My mileage seems to be around 8000 for the front, 11,000 for the rear.  This motorcycle eats front tires.  They do whine.  I've just replaced both with Pilot Road 5 Trails, which are refreshingly very quiet, and handling is superb.

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Reply #19 on: August 01, 2021, 03:04:44 PM
I mounted up my new set of Scorpion Trail IIs yesterday. 

I was reminded of 2 things:

1.  New tires feel fantastic!
    2.  The reason why I have been paying someone else to do my tires the last 5 years.
Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?