Author Topic: Replacement touring tires  (Read 4596 times)

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Re: Replacement touring tires
Reply #30 on: August 13, 2021, 05:05:44 PM
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
There should be something we can do on the front end of the bike to avoid reverbs, echoes and harmonics there...

Do wheelies.  Keep the front of the ground except at stops.
Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Reply #31 on: August 23, 2021, 09:35:04 AM
*Originally Posted by JG_XRT [+]
Do wheelies.  Keep the front of the ground except at stops.
I know this solution, but it requires to shut the TC off each time you start the bike. Unpractical!
(c8

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #32 on: October 26, 2021, 11:25:11 AM
Well, I'm nearly up for a new front tyre, my current Bridgestone A40 while cheap (run out stock) has about another mm until it hits the wear indicator. It has not been as good as the A41 it replaced, not really a surprise, and it has not worn as well. It has that same Tourance Next tyre wear pattern of going trapezoidal across 80% of it, cornering at slow speed is awkward now. The wear bias is on the right-hand side but that is no surprise as we drive on the left-hand side of the road here and the roads natural camber has done that. So that is my fourth front in just shy of 32K km, not brilliant but not horrendous, in all cases I had some legal tread depth left at the time of change but the slow speed handling was too poor to continue with the tyre.

But the rear A40, fitted at the same time, has been holding up very well with a lot of good tread left and still a nice profile. I think I will throw another A40/41 on the front and replace the pair with something completely new once they wear out together. I had considered T31's as a replacement and have them on my CB1100 but the front has turned out quite a lot noisier compared to the original hard compound Dunlop Sportmax Touring as it happens.

So NiK is saying his Michelin Road now drone, my experience of the T31 is they drone, the OEM drone - anyone got a well-worn front tyre that never droned, specifically on a Gen 3?
Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 11:33:35 AM by XCaTel

Online sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
Reply #33 on: October 26, 2021, 12:05:20 PM
To be fair it’s no wonder they drone - as the tread blocks wear the distance to the next block goes up ie worn at the front - less worn at the back - the drone is made up of the resonance off the tarmac between the two IMO - just moved from very worn Avon trailmasters to the Dunlop trailsmarts equivalent and no noise 😀
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #34 on: October 26, 2021, 06:56:05 PM
How times have changed. In the (ahem) "good old days" Triumph owners never worried about tyre noise.
They were more concerned with noisy tappets, big ends, small ends, primary drives, gearboxes, clutches, and a whole orchestra of other mechanical percussionists

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Reply #35 on: October 27, 2021, 08:35:41 AM
And I won't forget the infamous chain noise on my Tiger 1050. Spent months trying to find the most silent setting on this chain. To no avail.

As I said, my Michelin Road does drone, but it's nowhere near the Tourance. I guess having a near perfect windscreen setup doesn't help here. The droning probably was here with my previous Michelins but I couldn't notice it through the wind roar. Really, I'm NiKpicting here ;-)

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Reply #36 on: October 27, 2021, 10:20:30 PM
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]

Really, I'm NiKpicting here ;-)

:745:
Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?

Offline damo66

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: HILLSBOROUGH
Reply #37 on: November 18, 2021, 07:55:16 PM
Continental trail attack 3 best tyre I have had on my bike and I have 25k miles up.

nonskid