Author Topic: Where did you go on your Tiger Today?  (Read 6680 times)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Where did you go on your Tiger Today?
Reply #50 on: October 17, 2021, 06:44:48 PM
Took a 400km round trip to Hook Lighthouse (Ireland), the worlds oldest working lighthouse. Timeline below of its origin over 800 years ago.

1169-70
The landing of the Anglo-Normans in south Wexford. First landings at Bannow, Baginbun & Passage (all visible from Hook Lighthouse). They quickly took over much of the south and east of Ireland. Richard de Clare, Earl of Pembroke (Strongbow) became Lord of Leinster.

Strongbow’s daughter Isabella married the powerful knight William Marshal who succeeded Strongbow as Earl of Pembroke and Lord of Leinster. He founded the town of Ross as the port of Leinster. In the early 13th Century, Marshal began to develop Leinster by bringing in many English tenants, founding towns & building castles.

1210-1230
The tower of Hook was built by Marshal as a landmark & light tower to guide shipping to his port of Ross. The light was provided by a coal fire beacon. The many skilled castle builders employed by the Pembroke estate provided the necessary expertise.

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #51 on: October 17, 2021, 11:03:51 PM
I like a good lighthouse, especially ones like Nash in S.Wales that still have demonstrations of monstrously loud foghorns. It's a sound memory from my childhood about 10 miles away. Close up can induce giggles and wobbly knees its so loud.  Makes Denali & Stebel sound decidedly lame. Just the compressor is amazing in its own right needing ear defenders to enter the building its in. There's proof on youtube if you look.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #52 on: November 21, 2021, 05:37:50 PM
Tool a 180km ride for a coffee today, 4 deg centigrade but a heated vest along with heated seat/grips made today a real pleasure. I do love a winter day on the bike in the sunshine. Met a good few bikes out on the road taking advantage of the dry day.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #53 on: December 26, 2021, 03:03:19 PM
I said I had had the last ride of the year a few days a go but sod it. With reduced family activity this St Stephen's Day (aka Boxing Day) due to the "you know what" I shot off for a 195km round trip to Lough Ennell, a pretty random destination I just picked up on Google maps. It was pouring with rain just ten minutes before I had to set off to rendevous with a buddy but I got a wet road/dry day out of the entire trip so was delighted. This bike just creams the miles in fantastic comfort, I could turn round and do it again!

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 900 GT Pro
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
Reply #54 on: December 26, 2021, 05:52:37 PM
I've booked my 600 mile sevice for Thursday afternoon and need to do a minimum of 120 miles before that so guess what I'll be doing tomorrow  :046: :046:
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

nonskid