Author Topic: Rider back rest  (Read 891 times)

Offline VABird

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '18 1200XRT
  • City / Town: Forest, VA
Rider back rest
on: July 17, 2021, 10:35:49 PM
Is there a rider back rest available for the Tiger 1200?
I found one on Utopia's website, but it looks as though you have to cut a hole in pillion seat to fit, and appears to set back a bit too far.
Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 10:49:01 PM by VABird

Offline Kevinn

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2018 tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Loveland,OH
Re: Rider back rest
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 02:58:25 AM

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 09:41:02 AM
Probably a bit far back for VABird, Kevinn.
For the pillion, you can achieve the same thing with a topbox.

Offline Kevinn

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2018 tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Loveland,OH
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 11:03:18 AM
 :431: i skipped over “rider” in his posr.

I strap my dry bag  to pillion seat for a backrest when my human back rest is un available

Offline VABird

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 11:22:38 AM
I have a Givi top box for the (seldom carried) pillion.
I did the bag on pillion seat on my 955i. Just looking for a real back rest.
With the side boxes and Givi, and another carry pack and I'd start looking like the Beverly Hillbillies!

Online FL-Tig-Rider

• Explorer Member
  • Tiger Owner since 2001
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: Central Florida
Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 12:05:51 AM
VABird, this is my solution to the driver backrest on all my touring bikes.  It's a custom design that took a bit of time to complete, but it has adapted nicely to each new bike that I've bought.  Just tossing it out there to give you some ideas for your own custom setup (and I know you don't mind putting a little effort into your endeavors!)

One thing I found is that highway pegs help somewhat in giving relief to your legs, but their full benefit can't be realized without a backrest to go with them to relax your back with your legs kicked up.  Lifting your legs up tends to force your back rearward more, or at least, that's the general tendency for me.  Without a backrest, there seems to be more strain on your arms with your legs on the highway pegs.  So a backrest solves the back and arm problem for me.

Not long after I bought my 2001 Tiger 955i, I was on a quest to figure something out because I was doing some long trips.  I stumbled upon one of these combo back seat/driver backrest off of a BMW R1200C for a song at a swap meet which looks like this in the up position:

Picture M022

And it doubles as the pillion seat when folded down.  I guess it's more of a pillion "pad" than a seat, really.

Picture M023

The cool thing about it is, the driver can reach back with their left hand and pull the knob to swing it into either position.  And by rotating that same knob, it adjusts the angle of the driver backrest 5 or 10 degrees.  It's a nice assembly.

I didn't want it on the bike all the time, so I used quick-disconnects at front and rear for easy removal.  Here it is on my Tiger in the up and down positions.   I also added some little bags on each side of it to store a multitude of things.  To finish it off, I also added a little pad near my butt to cover the hard parts when in down position.

Picture M024

Picture M025

The split seat design of a lot of motorcycles lends itself well to mounting this backrest.  In the following picture, you can see the front and rear mount points of the backrest.

Picture M026

I didn't want a metal bit sticking up when the backrest was taken off, so I designed the front mount so it would fold down when not in use.  Here are some shots (before the hinge was painted) up and down

Picture M027

Picture M028

Here is another shot of the assembly.

Picture M029

When my FJR1300 came along, I wanted this same backrest to work on it too.

Picture M030

Picture M031

Here are the mounts.

Picture M032

Picture M033

On the FJR, I had the front mount attach to the rear seat and when not needed, it flips over and stores underneath it.

Picture M034

Picture M035

Picture M036

Here is a shot of the detachable mini side bags.

Picture M037

Next came the 2018 tiger 1200 XRT.  Luckily, it also has a split seat design.   I had to come up with a quick mount at my parents' house in Wisconsin before riding the new-to-me bike back home to Florida.  In the following pictures I'9m in the middle of working out the mount details, but you get the idea.  It worked wonderfully for the 1300 mile trip!  Since I was temporarily using the green rear case off the 2001 Tiger for the ride home, the rear mount didn't need to be engineered on the fly.  I came up with something really quick for the ride home, but I suspect the front mount will attach to and store under the passenger seat like on the FJR.

Picture M038

Picture M039

Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 12:26:49 AM by FL-Tig-Rider
75,000 miles in a Tiger saddle and counting!
My Intro Post
My 2001 Tiger 955i For Sale

Offline VABird

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 11:41:50 AM
I love that!
I'll have to give it a go.
It hardly looks homemade. Are any of those parts available online?
I had looked at building something like that, but didn't think about a hinge.
Problem was that to mount something rigid between the seats keeps the rider seat from sliding back to be removed.
Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 12:13:56 PM by VABird

Online FL-Tig-Rider

• Explorer Member
  • Tiger Owner since 2001
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: Central Florida
Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 03:35:09 PM
Thanks.  Yep, when my dad and I were brainstorming on how to attach the front bracket, we were tempted to use those two frame bolts that are located right below the rear corners of the driver seat for maximum rigidity until I remembered the driver seat needs to slide back to come off.  With the battery under there, I didn’t want to inhibit the driver seat removal in any way, so that idea was scrapped. 

The mount ended up getting temporarily attached directly on the passenger seat pan with 2 screws. 

Picture M040

Picture M041

Here you can see the two screws that hold it to the seat pan.  It was quickly wrapped in black duct tape before the trip to protect the seat vinyl, but I will come up with a more lasting cover with the final design.

Picture M042

In a week or two, I will modify this “fixed’ mount to a “swing and store” style with hinge like I show for the FJR (there is plenty of room under passenger seat to do this).  Attaching to the passenger seat is still plenty stable, laterally, as I have seen on the FJR.

Here is some info on the parts I used…

The base and hinging backrest is BMW brand and don’t even check with the dealers because you will pay over $1,000 for that system new.  They pop up used on ebay and there is a base on there now for $75.  Only hinged pad right now is $450, so you might want to do a saved search to see what comes along.  The aluminum base is shaped to follow the curve of the rear fender, so I trimmed that off flat and closed off the hollow bottom with a plate.  Glued onto this base plate is a foam pad to protect the passenger seat vinyl.

The quick release hinges are made by Southco and I use them for all sorts of other projects.  Check ebay there too, as they can be had for a few bucks sometimes.

Picture M043

Amazon link:  https://www.amazon.com/Southco-Concealed-Removal-Diameter-Knuckle/dp/B076Y19YFK

The little pad at the bottom is from a small Harley backrest.  Found it cheap at a swap meet, maybe $10.

The quick release brackets for the mini saddlebags are made by Jandd Mountaineering (item QRB), and were originally designed to mount a handlebar bag onto a bicycle.  Again ebay is your friend for finding inexpensive parts.  Thye are just plastic, but after 18 years, are still holding up well.
Jandd QRB link:  https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FTORB

Hope this helps.
75,000 miles in a Tiger saddle and counting!
My Intro Post
My 2001 Tiger 955i For Sale

nonskid