Author Topic: Want brighter headlights/fog lights 2015 TEX 1200  (Read 606 times)

Offline Geargut

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 TEXC
  • City / Town: Boise, ID
Want brighter headlights/fog lights 2015 TEX 1200
on: July 20, 2021, 03:08:22 PM
I know there have been plenty of discussions around TEX headlight/fog lights.  I'm in the United States and the lighting on my bike is all stock.  It's summer and I've been seeing a lot of bike out and about.  Most now have some form of bright white bulb whether it be LED or filament and these bike are, in my opinion, at least 25% more visible to other cars than the traditional stock soft white bulbs. 

I want to upgrade my exterior lighting to a higher lumen.  Looks like I can get higher lumen filament bulbs for the headlights as they're just an H4/9003 style bulb.  However, the fogs appear to be a different story.  Looks to me like they are a sealed unit and I may have to transition to an LED for those. 

I see that there's plenty of discussion on lighting upgrades but most are pretty dated.  Anyone either replace all stock lights with higher all filament bulbs (to include the fogs) or has anyone recently done an LED upgrade to the fogs?  Looking for more recent product recommendations. 

Offline Tiger T.O.

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 16 Cranberry Red XRt
  • City / Town: Loosdrecht
Re: Want brighter headlights/fog lights 2015 TEX 1200
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 09:21:25 PM
I use the H4 Philips Racing Vision headlights  :028:

https://cdn.img.tiger-explorer.com/Philips-Racing-Vision.jpg
There are two kinds of people, those saying the glass is half full and those saying the glass is half empty. But the world really belongs to the ones that say “That’s not my glass! My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!”             Terry Pratchett  R.I.P.

Offline satts1

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tex 1200 2016 (2015)
  • City / Town: Colchester
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 10:20:59 PM
The headlight bulbs are straightforward just swap for H4 Nightbreakers etc.
Triumph do not do LED fittings for the Gen 1 TEX im afraid (at least none that I could find). I ended up fitting Givi Fogs to my crash bars and utilising the existing wiring by fitting Econoseal connectors to the Givi leads. Same would apply to any aftermarket fog light if using OEM wiring:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/wire-housings-plugs/6806983/?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-PLA_UK_EN_Connectors_Whoop-_-Wire+Housings+%26+Plugs_Whoop-_-6806983&matchtype=&aud-827175561347:pla-476906911330&gclid=CjwKCAjwruSHBhAtEiwA_qCpphgb8ZLauW7880VTw0odP6u-VIeG_QChSUi5sgjA7xJ9Gux_V--LRRoCgXsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Tricky job but can be done if you are ok with car / bike electrics. Shout if you need further advice. :152:

Offline Geargut

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 06:17:16 PM
Are the bulbs in the stock fogs replaceable too?

Offline ExRider

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2020 Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Nittedal
Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 08:16:51 AM
I had a gen1 XC and replaced the original H4 bulbs with a earlier version (3800 lumen) led from Cyclops:
https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/Cyclops-100-H4-LED-headlight-bulb_p_192.html
The install was quite easy, everything, including the electonic box fitted inside the headlamp housing.

As for foglights, i paid an arm and a leg for a pair og Denali D4s.....

Online JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 12:52:15 PM
*Originally Posted by ExRider [+]

I wanted (and still want) a set of those.  I'm still not sure if the electrical system can handle it with all my other gizmos (heated grips/seat/gloves/jacket, factory fogs, GPS).

I opted for Denali D2s instead.  Nice and bright.  And so far, no issues- I can all my stuff on high with no power issues......so maybe I could swap my D2s for D4s......hmmmmmmm.
Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?

Offline Geargut

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 02:32:38 PM
*Originally Posted by ExRider [+]
I had a gen1 XC and replaced the original H4 bulbs with a earlier version (3800 lumen) led from Cyclops:
https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/Cyclops-100-H4-LED-headlight-bulb_p_192.html
The install was quite easy, everything, including the electonic box fitted inside the headlamp housing.

So is it not possible to just replace the bulb in the existing stock fog housing for a gen 1?  I read elsewhere that someone was able to use an H3 bulb in the fogs.  I'm really not interested in an LED or HID type bulb.