Author Topic: Triumph announces enduro, motocross lineup under development  (Read 1228 times)

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Triumph Motorcycles is excited to announce that development is well underway on a comprehensive range of all-new competition Motocross and Enduro motorcycles. Joining our class-leading and globally renowned motorcycle range, this all-new competition MX and Enduro (Dual Sport) family will bring all of Triumph’s engineering expertise to riders and racers worldwide.

This will be accompanied by a landmark moment for Triumph and the MX and Enduro racing world with an all-new Triumph factory race program and a commitment to top-tier championship racing in both Motocross and Enduro series.

https://advrider.com/triumph-launches-enduro-motocross-lineup/
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
I got the Triumph email about these the other day.

Looking forward to seeing what they have.

I miss my KLR 650......maybe Triumph can get me a replacement.......

Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?

Offline Ollyreid

• Explorer Pro
  • Happiness is a bike called TEX....
  • Bike: Tr'Ex / T'Alp / VFR
  • City / Town: Warwickshire
I think this is a great move. 

Regardless of where they are built they are still Triumph bikes and to have the backing of two great riders I think is awesome. 

TBH for me - anything that can promote / build / introduce motorcycling to others is a blessing. 

T are doing good things IN MY OPINION...!!  Development seems to be going well and brand loyalty seems to be strong - especially for me and my buddies.

You never know - for those old enough in the UK to remember we might even get "junior kickstart" back on the telly!! 

Olly

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
They certainly seem to be going all in with a factory race team. Sounds like an expensive gamble given that they don't really have any experience in this area. It kind of reminds me of the HD branded dirt bikes from the 70's.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
Yes, they certainly do seem to be going all out.  While I am not a huge fan of motocross and enduro, I will at least look in to see how Big T is doing.

But it kind of begs a different question for me.  Here in the US, I certainly haven't seen Triumph make much use, in the sense of promoting themselves, of their Moto2 engine. Said simply, I cannot think of one single form of advertising by Triumph that mentions Moto2.  So why did they do it?  But maybe things are different elsewhere, I will readily admit that the US is not a hotbed of interest in MotoGP and Moto2.

But there is a lot more readily available coverage of motocross here.  So I hope they have some plans for "activating" their sponsorship and factory participation in motocross and enduro.
Dick63

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
There may be other motivations. In my jurisdiction (and others) they are now talking about a wholesale ban on the sale of new petrol-powered vehicles by 2035. In some cases, that means light cars and trucks, and in other cases, it includes motorcycles. That is not very far down the road. If their electric program is not far along, maybe the thinking is that off-road or unlicensed vehicles may be exempt? The dirt bike market is huge here.

Offline Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
I don’t know why this is news, I rode and raced a Bonny off road back in the late sixties. :745: I am up for a new dirt bike, so they better get on the ball and produce what they going to put out there. :084:

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
The dirt bike market is solid in Australia too, though farms use quads a lot now.
Electric charging infrastructure here is almost non-existent.  We'd need a huge investment to go fully electric, and that probably wouldn't happen with bug trucks etc.  I can't see it happen any time soon, so we will probably remain the dumping ground for old polluting vehicles, as we are now to an extent.  -Our vehicle environmental standards are lower than for many other countries.

There is a bit of noise here about hydrogen.  -It can be produced by sun & wind powered electrolysis.  (We have trials of injecting it into the town gas supply.)
Wonder how much an internal combustion engine has to change, to run on hydrogen instead of petrol?
The other mechanism is fuel cell, with an electric motor.
We just need to figure out how to distribute and carry hydrogen successfully and safely.
It would be good to see manufacturers having a look at things like that, rather than just reinventing the petrol engine in the hope of grabbing sales from competitors.

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
*Originally Posted by KenW [+]
The dirt bike market is solid in Australia too, though farms use quads a lot now.
Electric charging infrastructure here is almost non-existent.  We'd need a huge investment to go fully electric, and that probably wouldn't happen with bug trucks etc.  I can't see it happen any time soon, so we will probably remain the dumping ground for old polluting vehicles, as we are now to an extent.  -Our vehicle environmental standards are lower than for many other countries.

There is a bit of noise here about hydrogen.  -It can be produced by sun & wind powered electrolysis.  (We have trials of injecting it into the town gas supply.)
Wonder how much an internal combustion engine has to change, to run on hydrogen instead of petrol?
We just need to figure out how to distribute and carry hydrogen successfully and safely.
It would be good to see manufacturers having a look at things like that, rather than just reinventing the petrol engine in the hope of grabbing sales from competitors.

Obviously not for bikes but JCB are testing hydrogen fueled engines:

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
*Originally Posted by KenW [+]

The requirements for a robust, high pressure, hydrogen storage tank with sufficient capacity that can servive a collision would probably require a motorcycle to be the size of a land yacht .